Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

A couple of Pentax AF540 Flash Questions.

Can the AF540 be used wirelessly in manual mode?

How well does the AF540 work wirelessly while on a flash bracket? Will sunlight make it really unreliable?

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

02-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. Yes, the 540 can be used wirelessly in manual mode.

2. That depends on the orientation of the flash bracket. The 540 will have to be able to "see" the control flash from the on-board flash or the flash that's on the camera, however you're using it. Yes, sunlight will make it less reliable, especially if you're pointing it into the sun. I've used the 540 in wireless mode on a bracket attached to the camera and separate from the camera and both worked OK inside. I admit I have not used it wirelessly outside, but it stands to reason that sunlight could confuse the remote flash. I have found, however that, when using a single flash on a bracket attached to the camera, I get better results by using the flash cable from the hot shoe of the camera to the flash on the bracket. That way I don't have to mess with the on-board flash and wireless at all.