Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
Pick one and take photos and stop worrying about what you didnt get in not going with the other. It is built for a purpose, they both serve that purpose bloody well. I know, I have both. and am very happy to use either in any situation, though the K30 is my video go to camera.

Quit worrying!!!

12-17-2012, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #17

I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago, although I was comparing the K-30 against the K-5.

Short story I got the K-30.

But IMHO, the K-5II or the IIs is way above the K-30 as a photographic tool. K-30 wins the live view and video department.

I would agree with the others that if you can afford it, get the K-5II or IIs.
12-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the K5 II or IIs will have the same resolution as the K30, but a little bit more dynamic range (at least if you are shooting RAW). The differences really are more with regard to ergonomics, availability of more buttons on the K5 to shift settings on the fly. The K5 has a grip available which is a nice feature as well.

The big area where the K30 is in front is with regard to video settings and also focus peaking.

Anyway, suffice to say that the difference between images shot with exactly the same settings and lens on the K30 versus the K5 II are not going to look discernibly different. However, I personally would prefer the K5 series of cameras for still photography due to the extra buttons and availability of a grip for it.
12-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
Pick one and take photos and stop worrying about what you didnt get in not going with the other. It is built for a purpose, they both serve that purpose bloody well. I know, I have both. and am very happy to use either in any situation, though the K30 is my video go to camera.

Quit worrying!!!
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not worried about it, I'm glad to have everyone's input where you all explain your personal experiences with either cameras.

12-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago, although I was comparing the K-30 against the K-5.

Short story I got the K-30.

But IMHO, the K-5II or the IIs is way above the K-30 as a photographic tool. K-30 wins the live view and video department.

I would agree with the others that if you can afford it, get the K-5II or IIs.
Thanks for the reply !

This same situation is what I was SLIGHTLY worried about. You buy one camera and later wish you had have gotten the other. I realized a while ago that every camera model has various trade-offs, this may have to come down to an in store touch, try and compare in the end.
12-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the K5 II or IIs will have the same resolution as the K30, but a little bit more dynamic range (at least if you are shooting RAW). The differences really are more with regard to ergonomics, availability of more buttons on the K5 to shift settings on the fly. The K5 has a grip available which is a nice feature as well.

The big area where the K30 is in front is with regard to video settings and also focus peaking.

Anyway, suffice to say that the difference between images shot with exactly the same settings and lens on the K30 versus the K5 II are not going to look discernibly different. However, I personally would prefer the K5 series of cameras for still photography due to the extra buttons and availability of a grip for it.
Yeah I'd really like a grip too, and i'm now thinking about and looking into the differences of the 12 and 14 bit processing - I believe that 14 may yield greater colors (unless I'm wrong about that point).
12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Thanks for the reply !

This same situation is what I was SLIGHTLY worried about. You buy one camera and later wish you had have gotten the other. I realized a while ago that every camera model has various trade-offs, this may have to come down to an in store touch, try and compare in the end.
In my case I have no regrets I chose the K-30 over the K-5. But if I had the money, I'd have gotten the K-5II. Good luck!
12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #23

To me it was an easy decision: got the K-5. It's priced only $65 more than the K-30 but $500 less than the IIs. The $ I otherwise would of spent on the IIs went to purchase a 2nd K-5.

12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your responses !

I picked up a Pentax K-5 with an 18-135mm lens the other day, woo-hoo ! I'm a Pentaxian now !

I had been to-ing and fro-ing about this, but it came down to the 14bit color processing over the 12bit in the K-30. I looked more heavily into to sample images online and I just prefer the color from the k-5 - the K-30 was missing something, and I think it was the extra color. By the looks of it the K-30 may appear to have a fairly light AA filter and slightly better resolution, but the contrast was too high. In a nutshell, i chose the K-5 because it renders an image better than the K-30 IMO, so this was the "trade-off" I had to decide upon.

Plus the K-30 felt a little too plastic, and the K-5 was tight ! Plus i got a good deal on the K-5.

I've played with it a little, and boy its really a step up over my Sony A65. The Sony was a giant leap IMO over my previous Nikon, and though I've never had a Canon, when I compared the Sony's to Canons, I again felt Sony was a leap ahead them. The Sony is virtually useless in low light but there's no mirror slap, plus some lenses are real cheap - perhaps Pentax should take a leaf out of Sony's book and offer lenses a little cheaper.

My K-5 body is SOLID ! The Sony is plastic not-so-fantastic! This 18-135mm lens is awesome, I couldn't believe how wide it is at 18mm, so I looked it up and its 76 degrees which is awesome !

I'm over the moon, it performs brilliantly and the resolution is fantastic and not far off of the A65's 24 mega pixels (as far as I've SEEN, but haven't tested fully). I've realized that the A65 has a strong AA filter and the K-5 has a light AA filter, so I'm pleasantly surprised at the K-5's resolution. The shutter release is super quiet, the operating system doesn't have any glitches so far and works seamlessly.

I'm expecting firmware issues later because my Nikon and Sony both developed firmware glitches - Like: auto focus freezing (Nikon); shutter release freezing (Nikon); can't auto focus/can't meter glitch/won't shoot (Nikon); switching between dial mode P and A glitches (Sony); Change lens glitch in Aperture mode (Sony); and general Operating system glitches as you navigate (Sony) ( and thats despite uploading and installing the latest firmware to the Sony). I haven't read any of the forums about operating system/firmware issues on the K-5 yet - are there any ? I have heard of professionals using big dollar equipment needing to have two camera bodies, because they'll get a firmware glitch and the camera can't shoot, so they switch over to the spare body (the camera body recovers afterwards AKA cold boot).

The only thing I don't like so far is the strap, its too narrow and its free advertising space for Pentax. You'd think they'd want to make the strap wider to make the Pentax brand more larger and visible. And the delete/trash can button is a little awkward for my fat thumb.

All in all I'm real happy, its built like a tank and works GREAT in low light.

When i originally got into digital photography I used to read magazines, and most magazines and also stores totally write-off Pentax, and give support to Canon and Nikon. Until I started researching cameras online and looking at the reviews online, I discovered that Pentax cameras seem to perform really well with their sample images. So the biased photography magazines articles do not concur with the online articles - seems like advertising revenue is the driving force behind magazine reviews. This is the exact same when it comes to automotive magazines, auto mags are just full of it and sell out to the highest advertising bidder.

Thank you everybody for your help !
12-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Well done and congrats. i think you are right about the advertising revenue. wait until you try the old manual lenses, you'll really like some of them.
12-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Pentaxian

For me the missing top display of the K30 is a no-go. I'm using it all the time with the K200. But it started as early as 28 years back with the Super A, where I at least could see the set exposure time prior to look through the VF.

Of course this is a very personal preference. And a change in my preferencies could happen if the K30 was half the price of a K5II (I am not a professional).