Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-30 or K-5/ii/s (Image Quality)

I am deciding to buy a a K-30 or a K-5/ii/s.

I've looked at the sample images on image resources and DP review and its VERY apparent that the K-30 has a greater level of resolution/clarity than the K-5iis. To me, the K-30 seems to have an even lighter AA filter to the K-5iis. The dimensions of the 16mp sensor are different by a fraction between the K-30 and K-5's - is this a newer sensor ? If it is a newer sensor then perhaps it is "next generation" and can use an even lighter AA filter. (A different sized sensor will have a different architecture and would require different electronic coupling, and slightly different image processing software.)

Based on my impressions of these sample images, I am more inclined to buy the K-30 based on its apparent greater resolution.

I know that the K-5's have slightly better high iso performance, and a few other better features. I really like the K-5, for it's strong contrast/color and 3 dimension-ality to the pictures (DOF), and this was the kicker that has drawn me to switch to Pentax. To my eye, strong contrast/color seems to make the image more 3 dimensional, as opposed to most black and white images which seem to lack it. The K-5ii and s seem to have been toned down a little in contrast/color - is this better?

So this all begs the question - what would I miss out on if I bought a K-30? Is the K-30 a next generation?

I've played with K-x's and K-r's in stores and boy was I impressed ! Especially when I compared them to some of Canon and Nikon's finest - which were all on the same display table. From that point on, I was hooked and intrigued by Pentax. I started researching this affordable and weather proof K-5 - I discovered that its a machine! When the K-30 came out I tried it in store, and its auto-focus is faster than the K-5, but that's about all I know - and the clarity thing.

I don't care about video or audio, or body strength (but wouldn't mind to have them too!). I'm just interested in real and tangible photographic technical capabilities ie flash, auto-focus, metering and any neat tricks the K-5 has over the K-30 - as I will start a photography course at college soon which runs over the next year.

But I've gotta say, I'm REALLY impressed with the K-30's resolution, but I'm stuck, because I don't want to make a mistake and be kicking myself later realizing - I should have bought a K-5 (like I realized once before).

And another question (for fun), which camera produces the better images, the K-30 or the K-5's ? Just a simple "I prefer the images from the K-(which ever), because of A, B, X and Y" would suffice. I like to compare images on the Flickr groups to get a "general feel" of how a camera performs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

12-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #2

I think you are over thinking things. Seriously.
12-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Maromero Quote
I agree. Both cameras will have excellent IQ but I think you are putting way too much stock in DP Review at this point in concluding thtat the K30 outresolves tht K5IIs.
12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
VERY apparent that the K-30 has a greater level of resolution/clarity than the K-5iis
The sample photos are shot at different apertures, so you can't just compare them there. The K-5 will have slightly better overall IQ than the K-30 because it supports 14-bit RAW files. In almost all other aspects, such as video, live view, and overall performance, the K-30 will be better, though, as it's a more modern body. Just go for the K-30

And be sure to read this:

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2012, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you already decided to go with the K30 before you posted this synopsis, which is not quite accurate. But all the best in your choice and your photography. I'm sure you won't find an issue with any of your above choices.
12-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

I would add to my earlier post that I believe that your choice of lenses to complement your camera choice is more important for resolution.
12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

Now that would be an excellent post.!

12-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
I agree. Both cameras will have excellent IQ but I think you are putting way too much stock in DP Review at this point in concluding thtat the K30 outresolves tht K5IIs.
Yeah thanks for the response.

Its not so much the DP review content, its just their sample images and also the Image resource sample images, both concur one with the other. Some other so-called online reviewers or magazines present false and unfair criticism towards Pentax cameras, because they only like Canikon - DXO in my opinion is one of them, but thats a whole other subject.
12-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sample photos are shot at different apertures, so you can't just compare them there. The K-5 will have slightly better overall IQ than the K-30 because it supports 14-bit RAW files. In almost all other aspects, such as video, live view, and overall performance, the K-30 will be better, though, as it's a more modern body. Just go for the K-30

And be sure to read this:

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the response.

I'll look a little further into the raw files from both cameras. I'll read the link to the review also.

Thanks very much
12-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Maromero Quote
Seems like THIS zoolander (me) is thinking too much! ironic.
12-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Looks like you already decided to go with the K30 before you posted this synopsis, which is not quite accurate. But all the best in your choice and your photography. I'm sure you won't find an issue with any of your above choices.
Thanks for the response.

I haven't decided yet, thats why I posted this thread - to try to get some further input to help me make a more educated decision. Today I'm actually more inclined to get a K-5, yesterday it was the K-30. I'm giving myself a week to decide.
12-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K30 is good enough to outclass the 7D in DR department. If budget allows get the K5IIs. I am so glad I did.
12-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As Adam said above, both cameras have their pros and cons. If IQ is the only concern, either one will be suffice.

I had K30 ever since its' available until two weeks ago when I got the K5IIs. I can't say one is better than the other, but I really missed K5's battery and quieter shutter when I had the K30. Now I miss K30's responsiveness and much faster SD access speed. But I don't regret the changes (from K5 to K30, then K30 to K5IIs). It's just something we face in our everyday life, we have to choose something based on our own preference.
12-16-2012, 05:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
As Adam said above, both cameras have their pros and cons. If IQ is the only concern, either one will be suffice.

I had K30 ever since its' available until two weeks ago when I got the K5IIs. I can't say one is better than the other, but I really missed K5's battery and quieter shutter when I had the K30. Now I miss K30's responsiveness and much faster SD access speed. But I don't regret the changes (from K5 to K30, then K30 to K5IIs). It's just something we face in our everyday life, we have to choose something based on our own preference.
I'm indecisive myself on whether getting a k30 or k5 (see post), can you explain what do you mean by k30's better responsiveness?
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I'm indecisive myself on whether getting a k30 or k5 (see post), can you explain what do you mean by k30's better responsiveness?
Well, as Adam mentioned above, K30 is overall a faster camera due to its newer hardware and design. Let's say, the photo would show up (if preview is enabled) almost instantly after it's taken, while it'd take a split of a second on a K5. Live view AF w/ K30 is quite a bit faster, photo review is faster too. It's hard to explain in words, I just feel K30 is a faster and snappier camera overall, except low light AF which K5IIs has the lead (AF is slightly faster and more decisive). I can't say the same for K5 though.

Either camera is fine. But between K5 and K30, I probably would go for K30, as I did before. You won't be able to see clear difference in IQ, but you can feel the difference after you tried both cameras side by side.