Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is it madness to be thinking about a K30 or K5 (as a K7 owner)

Is it madness to be thinking about a K30 or K5 (as a K7 owner).

So the K5 will soon be gone and from what I gather the next Pentax may be a FF job. Which will likely cost a lot.

The K30 with the current discount looks a cracking deal. The only thing that puts me off slightly is lack of the top lcd and the shutter noise being loud appranetly. After extensive reading on here it seems that the 12bit raw may not be a huge dealbreaker.

The K5 has none of those problems and is going to be gone soon.

Shutter may only be an issue around other people, most of my shoots are outdoor or architecture. So perhaps not a huge deal. Perhaps I could learn to live without the top lcd.

Obviously both of them will be significantly better at night time. Low ISO though do you think one will see a massive difference?

I would sell my K7 which would get some money towards either.

12-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 is still a great camera (I used my wife's K7 a fair bit prior to purchasing my K-5 IIs as an upgrade from the K10D).
I don't know much about the K30, nor the original K5.. though I'd be more inclined to spend the money on some quality glass before I got a new camera body (unless of course you're having a specific issue with the K7..?
If you're chasing the FF dream just buy in to the already available FF capable lenses and then you're set more for the long run in comparison to camera bodies which come and go. Just my 2 cents!
12-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the K-5. I doubt Pentax will have a FF camera anytime soon. The prices for a new/used K-5 are quite low and you won't regret it.
12-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

No, I got a K-5II over my k-7 and it's quite a move forward if you consider the sensor performances.

12-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I have both a K7 and a K5-IIs. The improvement in AF and sensor performance is quite amazing. I've compared astrophotography from a year ago (with the K7) to now- even where you do see noise coming in, it is much less structured and natural on the K5-IIs. In every day use the iso performance is absolutely fine, but the AF is still notably better- BIF photos with my 60-250 can be attempted in confidence.
12-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I currently own a K-5 but I have not seen anything to justify selling it to "upgrade" to the K-5II. I guess if you are coming from a K10D or something like then there would be quite a benefit, especially with the high ISO performance.
12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Banned

The K-30 will be way better then the K-7. Sell the K-7 and you only loose a little money over the upgrade.

12-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd say go for the K-5 II or IIs for improved auto-focus accuracy with fast lenses (due to f2.8 AF point), -3Ev low light sensitivity and improved accuracy in coloured light compared to the K-5. The K-30 only has improved accuracy in coloured light compared to the K-5, but adds focus peaking.
12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So much depends on what you shoot, but the added dynamic range you get with the K5/K30 sensor makes a big difference in my book, both in low and high iso situations.
12-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Is it madness to be thinking about a K30 or K5 (as a K7 owner).

So the K5 will soon be gone and from what I gather the next Pentax may be a FF job. Which will likely cost a lot.

The K30 with the current discount looks a cracking deal. The only thing that puts me off slightly is lack of the top lcd and the shutter noise being loud appranetly. After extensive reading on here it seems that the 12bit raw may not be a huge dealbreaker.

The K5 has none of those problems and is going to be gone soon.

Shutter may only be an issue around other people, most of my shoots are outdoor or architecture. So perhaps not a huge deal. Perhaps I could learn to live without the top lcd.

Obviously both of them will be significantly better at night time. Low ISO though do you think one will see a massive difference?

I would sell my K7 which would get some money towards either.
If you're used to the K-7, just upgrade to the K-5, as things will feel the same and you will enjoy the improved hardware. Just about everything is better in the K-5, from AF to IQ to framerate But the biggest difference, of course, is framerate. Adorama currently has just over 100 K-5's left, and once they're gone, they're gone!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still trying to resist a trade in + cashback offer...

It would be effectively 275 for my K7 body.. making the price on the K5ii body 464

All speculation: If a FF were to come out, I wonder if that would mean it would be a while before the K5ii got replaced. It might be awhile til we see these prices on the K5ii again. Whereas glass isn't discounted much atm over here.
12-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I think you both gain and lose something every time you change your gear. The value of those gains and losses depends entirely on how YOU use your camera. To the best of your ability, list all the differences between your K-7 and proposed new camera, then assign a relative value ... You could use something as simple as a 3-point scale (-1, 0, +1), a 5-point scale, or even a 7-point scale. It's up to you. Also, decide if there are any features on your K-7 that are MUST haves. If your proposed replacement doesn't have that feature, it is a deal breaker. You will never be happy with your new camera.

Sometimes this decision process is simple enough to do in your head - but sometimes you just have to use a more formal process. Don't ask, or let, other Forum members make this decision for you. If you do, you might as well sell your gear and buy postcards because you will have to shoot like they do to be truly happy with the new gear.
12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is your issue with the K-5 shutter? From what I recall it is no louder than the K-7 and may be quieter.

Also the next cam will not be FF for Pentax. The latest interviews hint that they haven't figured out a plan yet.

I predict a new APSC flagship this year as I believe the K-5II/s were a stopgap.
It will be pricey though.
12-27-2012, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Don't waste your time with the discontinued K-5. Get the K-5II or better still the K-5IIs. People who think the new II/IIs isn't much of an upgrade from the K-5 are sadly mistaken. I'd say even the K-30 is better than the K-5, which in turn is quite a bit better than the K-7. Speaking as someone who has owned the K-7, the K-5 and now the K-5IIs.
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having said that, the K-5 II is significantly more pricey than the K-5 classic. If cost is a significant issue, you'd consider the K-5 classic, unless you don't mind slightly shorter battery life, slightly reduced dynamic range, increased shutter lag and startup time, and slightly slower continuous shooting rate of the K30. Everything else is at least comparable to the K-5 classic, plus the focus peaking.