Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #1

K10D Aperature Dial

I normally shoot in AV mode. Not always sure why that is my preference but it is. Anyway this is about my K10D with grip, and the body's rear e dial. It seems that periodically the rear e dial (aperture) does not want to cooperate with my desires to increase or decrease from a particular setting. If I spin the grip's e dial for aperture it works and then the body's e dial will work. If I'm in another setting such as manual and it happens I can spin/jog the shutter then go back to the aperture. Sometimes if I just wiggle and fiddle it will be good to go or if I turn off and on. It seems very intermittent and as it happens when I am trying to get a capture I don't really want to spend too much time on the problem, I just want it gone so I can get the shot before it's gone. When I do have time to be more methodical it never seems to arise.

My question has anybody 'sperienced anything like this, and if so is/was it bad contact(s) on the dial requiring a service centre visit?

In the mean time I'm gonna carve out some time to spend trying to replicate the problem and then systematically see what it takes to get it to go away. A couple times it happened I thought I was just imagining a problem.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by jnorth; 02-15-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: yes the title has a spelling error arghh
02-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I would think the most likely time for this to happen would be where the light is marginal for the f-stop you are trying to use in conjunction with the aperture. If you are in Av mode, the aperture is the first thing to set. The camera will then decide upon shutter speed and ISO (unless you have the ISO locked to one value).

I think about the only way to determine what's going on is to get outside in some consistent light with plenty of exposure latitude, and then do a process of elimination. If you turn the camera off, it resets the aperture value, so that's what's allowing your change in that case. But if you keep the camera on, and are in Av mode, and set your desired aperture, it should stay at that aperture setting until you intentionally change it. Something else that may be happening if you're using the grip is that the ball of your hand may be hitting the green button while you're holding the camera. Then everything resets to what the camera considers the best value (at least that's how I remember it). When I first got the grip, I had that problem a lot - my hands are just the right size to create a "green button hazard" on the grip.

Good luck,
Barry
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it's a grip thing. sometimes the grip e-dial or the body e-dial gets stuck in the middle. i get that quite often. I've learned to just spin both dials quickly if anything. does the same thing on the front e-dial.

take off the grip..and it's all good.....(I shoot mostly in M mode..so it's twice the fun for me...)
02-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #4

Maybe this sounds stupid, or very, very basic, but have you checked and double checked that the grip on/off switch is on?

I must be an idiot, but when I first got my grip, I didn't know why it wouldn't work.

Duh, I didn't turn the bottom power switch on.

Just saying.....