Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

New Camera Dillema

Hello everyone!
I would like to get your input to decide on what my next camera might be, so here are my options:

1) Pentax k-30: this was my primal decision before I got second thoughts, and it is already in order. Pentax DSLRs are more expensive in Israel than what I see is going on in Europe/N.America so when I found this place selling a kit with the 18-55 WR I decided to go for it. I now have a Pentax K-x and besides the bells and whistles of all new cameras I want it for the much better viewfinder, durability & weather resistance, better dedicated external controls and much better LCD screen. other improvements are not as important to me, with the exception of AF which I might or might not care about. I can get the said kit for ~ €700

2) Pentax k-5 (the new version is not even available here anywhere): Initially I would prefer this one but for the price (~€850 body only) I decided it wasn't worth the price difference, but now I have second thoughts. the main advantages I see are the top LCD (I loved it when I used a Nikon F65 back in 2004, but then again there was no back LCD so I might find it futile), magnesium alloy body shell vs K-30's polycarbonate, much quieter shutter and although stupid - the X-sync mode would be nice (I'm sure it can be achieved indirectly with the K-30 too, though I wasn't able to with my K-x). weight is also an issue and it's in favor of the K-30. Battery life is in favor of the K-5, but I'm not sure if it is really an issue. also because it was the flagship camera I'm sure it has several more little things above the k-30 just for that reason.
I also thought the WR kit was a plus (18-135 isn't available at all unfortunately) but since I know it's optical qualities from the non-WR version I'm thinking I'll probably won't use it at all, excluding the occasional rainy/snowy days I'll just have to go out and shoot. My current camera got an occasional minor splash on it and stood on minor rain and nothing ever happened. I once in almost 3 years went out with the camera while snowing and used a plastic bag, worked fine.

All in all I have 20ish K mount lenses, of which very little I use regularly, some more some less. The Idea was to sell all/most of it and get new stuff. not because I don't like them but for the same reason I got so many in the first place - to try new things. and here comes the third option.

3) Nikon D7000 - I believe it is the top APS-C camera from Nikon. I can get it for the same price as the K-5. The only reason I'm considering it is local availability of new lenses. since I own mostly old lenses I want to try some modern ones and they are very difficult to attain locally, new or used. for instance I could get a Sigma 18-50/2.8 for €320 and a 30/1.4 for €375, two lenses I've been looking at, both new - reasonably priced to me. For Pentax I would have to make an effort to find those lenses, new or used. On the other hand I'm not sure about older and manual lenses compatibility with Nikon, which is also important to me. I know my K mount lenses wont fit, but what will? is it even an option? does any one even care about this issue on Nikonland?
Other things I'm considering are, again, the shutter sound - anyone familiar with it? is it close to being quiet as the K-5 (it is kind of amazing in that regard)? I believe it is well built, same level as K-5 - any input on that?
I really really like the Pentax layout and ergonomics too, but I think getting used to a different set of controls wouldn't be a real problem, or will it?

and so on, and so on... it never ends really.

I'm sure all of you had similar exertions, I know it is solely my decision but I will greatly appreciate any of your input, especially from personal experience.

Thanks in advance!
Pablo

12-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say that the K-5 is everything the D7000 is and a little more, but if money is an issue for you, the D7000 may be worth the switch. The K30 is a mere 150 euro cheaper than the K-5 and unless you're keen on video and focus peaking, the K-5 sounds like the choice to last you for years to come. All the best in your decision.
12-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'd say that the K-5 is everything the D7000 is and a little more, but if money is an issue for you, the D7000 may be worth the switch. The K30 is a mere 150 euro cheaper than the K-5 and unless you're keen on video and focus peaking, the K-5 sounds like the choice to last you for years to come. All the best in your decision.
Thank you for your advice.
Considering I can sell the WR lens for ~€80 then the difference is ~€230. do you have an opinion about the usability of said lens?
Money is an issue, but it's not the only issue.
12-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
atm I am indecisive between K-5 and D7000. any info that could help me choose a side will be greatly appreciated. compatibility with old manual lenses is an important issue, and I understand that the Nikon is not at all bad in that regard.

12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you should not focus on which camera to get but rather what kind of lenses you want to use. Do you need modern auto focus, automated lenses? or can you do fine with manual focus, stop down metering, etc? do you need a weather sealed system? then, only modern lenses will do. If you can answer this, it will be easier to pick a body.
12-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
atm I am indecisive between K-5 and D7000. any info that could help me choose a side will be greatly appreciated. compatibility with old manual lenses is an important issue, and I understand that the Nikon is not at all bad in that regard.
As long as you stick with manual Nikon glass that is. To use anything M42 mount you'll need an adapter with glass in it or give up infinity focus.
12-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I think you should not focus on which camera to get but rather what kind of lenses you want to use. Do you need modern auto focus, automated lenses? or can you do fine with manual focus, stop down metering, etc? do you need a weather sealed system? then, only modern lenses will do. If you can answer this, it will be easier to pick a body.
I agree with your view. In case it is Nikon I choose then I plan on getting a few modern lenses to start with (35/1.8G, 50/1.8D, maybe Sigma 18-50/2.8), but the posibility of using older and MF lenses is very important to me, as I value it greatly on my current Pentax system.

Flash compatibility is too important for me (for budget reasons), for instance, will a Nikon sb28 fully work on a D7000?

12-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
As long as you stick with manual Nikon glass that is. To use anything M42 mount you'll need an adapter with glass in it or give up infinity focus.
Any idea on pricing and usability of old, quality Nikkor (or other compatible) lenses?
12-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with your view. In case it is Nikon I choose then I plan on getting a few modern lenses to start with (35/1.8G, 50/1.8D, maybe Sigma 18-50/2.8), but the posibility of using older and MF lenses is very important to me, as I value it greatly on my current Pentax system.
Originally posted by carrrlangas

Flash compatibility is too important for me (for budget reasons), for instance, will a Nikon sb28 fully work on a D7000?
Both systems can satisfy your needs but Pentax won΄t hurt your pocket so hard. In my country its is also very diffcult to come across modern glass and it is expensive. But nikon and canon are also expensive and out of my range. So i buy used legacy glass. Besides excelent compatibility, pentax legacy glass keeps up quite good.

Your sb28 flashes will work on D7000 buy only in manual mode. I would stick with Pentax if I were you! and Between K30 and K5, I rather K5 becouse it feels more solid.. I would like to try focus peaking (only on K30)... but dont use liveview that much..
12-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
As Elliott posted, for old glass you will need to go with Nikon or with third party/Nikon mount. Pentax, Contax, Leica, M42, etc. are all out (unless you want to loose focusing at infinity), since Nikon has the longest registration distance - longer than Pentax and Canon, etc. This is the single controlling factor that enables the use of mount adapters, or remounting lenses.

Pentax has better dynamic range, and according to a German study more accurate AF. Nikon has faster AF and a better flash system. I think it all comes down to what and how you shoot.

12-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hello everyone!
I would like to get your input to decide on what my next camera might be, so here are my options:

1) Pentax k-30: this was my primal decision before I got second thoughts, and it is already in order. Pentax DSLRs are more expensive in Israel than what I see is going on in Europe/N.America so when I found this place selling a kit with the 18-55 WR I decided to go for it. I now have a Pentax K-x and besides the bells and whistles of all new cameras I want it for the much better viewfinder, durability & weather resistance, better dedicated external controls and much better LCD screen. other improvements are not as important to me, with the exception of AF which I might or might not care about. I can get the said kit for ~ €700

2) Pentax k-5 (the new version is not even available here anywhere): Initially I would prefer this one but for the price (~€850 body only) I decided it wasn't worth the price difference, but now I have second thoughts. the main advantages I see are the top LCD (I loved it when I used a Nikon F65 back in 2004, but then again there was no back LCD so I might find it futile), magnesium alloy body shell vs K-30's polycarbonate, much quieter shutter and although stupid - the X-sync mode would be nice (I'm sure it can be achieved indirectly with the K-30 too, though I wasn't able to with my K-x). weight is also an issue and it's in favor of the K-30. Battery life is in favor of the K-5, but I'm not sure if it is really an issue. also because it was the flagship camera I'm sure it has several more little things above the k-30 just for that reason.
I also thought the WR kit was a plus (18-135 isn't available at all unfortunately) but since I know it's optical qualities from the non-WR version I'm thinking I'll probably won't use it at all, excluding the occasional rainy/snowy days I'll just have to go out and shoot. My current camera got an occasional minor splash on it and stood on minor rain and nothing ever happened. I once in almost 3 years went out with the camera while snowing and used a plastic bag, worked fine.

All in all I have 20ish K mount lenses, of which very little I use regularly, some more some less. The Idea was to sell all/most of it and get new stuff. not because I don't like them but for the same reason I got so many in the first place - to try new things. and here comes the third option.

3) Nikon D7000 - I believe it is the top APS-C camera from Nikon. I can get it for the same price as the K-5. The only reason I'm considering it is local availability of new lenses. since I own mostly old lenses I want to try some modern ones and they are very difficult to attain locally, new or used. for instance I could get a Sigma 18-50/2.8 for €320 and a 30/1.4 for €375, two lenses I've been looking at, both new - reasonably priced to me. For Pentax I would have to make an effort to find those lenses, new or used. On the other hand I'm not sure about older and manual lenses compatibility with Nikon, which is also important to me. I know my K mount lenses wont fit, but what will? is it even an option? does any one even care about this issue on Nikonland?
Other things I'm considering are, again, the shutter sound - anyone familiar with it? is it close to being quiet as the K-5 (it is kind of amazing in that regard)? I believe it is well built, same level as K-5 - any input on that?
I really really like the Pentax layout and ergonomics too, but I think getting used to a different set of controls wouldn't be a real problem, or will it?

and so on, and so on... it never ends really.

I'm sure all of you had similar exertions, I know it is solely my decision but I will greatly appreciate any of your input, especially from personal experience.

Thanks in advance!
Pablo
I like your first option (K-30) as the price is considerably lower and you'll have the WR lens for those bad days. Keep in mind that WR functionality is useful in the desert as well as rain and snow. You'll be glad you have it for when you get those great shots at Masada on a windy day.
Regarding sync speed, you'll be able to set the 1/180 shutter on a K-30 as almost second nature.
12-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all, this is very helpfull.
Can anyone comment on the lenses I mentioned for my starter's kit? (Nikkor 35/1.8G & 50/1.8D)
12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To tell you the truth, I do not see any real value in switching to Nikon, unless you are really in to flash or sports photography. Otherwise its a K5. Bodies come and go, glass stays around for ever. So, if you are happy with your glass, I would stay with the lenses and select the most inexpensive body with the features required. Right now Pentax is pretty rich in bodies to select from - the K-01, K30, K5, K5II and K5IIs. I usually wait a couple of body models to pass, and then wait till the body I am looking for is nearing replacement, with its price greatly reduced. It worked for the K20 and the K5.

I would go for the K30 - with the focus peaking. My K5 does not have focus peaking, but with LiveView when up on a tripod (then I can go 10x and get the focus just perfect), works extremely well. Focus peaking is only that much better.

12-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm really torn here, it pisses me off.
I've narrowed it down to light weight and responsiveness vs build and durability. I think the improvement in external controls is enough in either but regarding the body I really want it to feel firm and comfortable.
When I got my K-x I soon regretted not getting a K-7 for that same reason, even though I got presumably better sensor performance, I value the body much more.

I know the differences now are not that drastic but, for those of you who used both cameras, how would you describe the difference in build quality and weight?

Thank you in advance, this is all very helpful.

Pablo

Last edited by Pablom; 12-17-2012 at 08:23 AM.