Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2007, 05:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
america is month/day/year the rest of the world is day/month/year..
Not really. Quite a number of countries use year-month-day format. BTW, ISO standard for date is also year-month-day

01-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$250 is worth the wait. Dell does suffer from a lot of supply chain issues but when they have stock you never have a problem.

I like Klopus' idea. If another discount or a lower price comes along, call Dell and see if you can get a larger discount for waiting so long, otherwise cancel and go with another outfit. Win-Win.
01-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
Inactive Account

The Dell deal sounded like one of those "too good to be true" types. Hopefully they will follow through.
01-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #19

Original Poster
I hate to beat the dead horse, but feel that I must.

I have discoverd that the problem with obtaining a K10D through the Dell Discount at Christmas time is.. Pentax.

They are deliberately limiting K10D distrubutions in the US to keep the discounters from pricing them lower. This was confirmed by a buddy of mine who is at CES and asked Pentax about K10D distribution. Dell is probably caught flatfooted on this.

There is a mention of this also on dpreview.com from another source who I guess also has gone to the show (Lucky Dogs, I want to see the 108 inch plasmas!)

I am not going to cancel my order.. just leave it lie there and maybe I will get my K10D sometime in a month.. the new date given today was 22 January 2007. It was supposed to ship today. The Dell customer service reps are still reading from the same tired old playbook too. LOL

01-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

"They are deliberately limiting K10D distrubutions in the US to keep the discounters from pricing them lower"

that helps explain why they first appeared in dribs and drabs in the smaller stores..

but i think they just dont dont have enough cameras to supply the world.. or lenses come to that.. when u are selling all u can produce there isnt much point in lowering the market price of anything..

trog
01-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I hate to beat the dead horse, but feel that I must.

I have discoverd that the problem with obtaining a K10D through the Dell Discount at Christmas time is.. Pentax.

They are deliberately limiting K10D distrubutions in the US to keep the discounters from pricing them lower. This was confirmed by a buddy of mine who is at CES and asked Pentax about K10D distribution. Dell is probably caught flatfooted on this.

There is a mention of this also on dpreview.com from another source who I guess also has gone to the show (Lucky Dogs, I want to see the 108 inch plasmas!)

It makes no sense for Pentax to do that, much less to say that.
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

they havnt said it publically but it makes every sense to me..

what is your reasoning for thinking it dosnt make sense.. ??

trog

01-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

From a marketing standpoint you would never say (we) "are deliberately limiting K10D distrubutions in the US to keep the discounters from pricing them lower".

They may be doing it but they would never say it. And, when Pentax sells a camera for X dollars, I don't think they care if the discounters sell it for X + 10 or X + 100. They have made their X.
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to work in a camera store and Pentax has always prefered to cater to camera shops before electronic chains. Not that they don't sell through those RC Willey and Dell shops, but they do like to sell their product through people that know cameras and can offer service after the sale. And I don't mean repair service I mean hands on, "how do you make this work" kind of service. I don't know if they would withhold for price reasons, but I can see them favoring camera shops while they catch up to demand.
01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I threw in my cards today

Well - Dell rolled the possible ship date out to 1-29 today and I ran out of patience. I called and it took 25 minutes just to cancel the order.

Went to B&H to order the K10D but just couldn't pay bust-out retail.

Then went to Beach Camera and ordered the K100D with 18-55 and the 50-200, both in stock.

Here's why I downgraded to the k100:

Total for both the k100d with kit lens and the 50-200 was $776.99 shipped from Beach.

After the $150 rebate that'll be down to $626.99.

Add to that the $170 for the FA 50mm f/1.4 I bought two weeks ago from B&H.

I'll still have over $300 toward the DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED that I badly need (want).

All for the price of the K10D alone.

The K100D will be great for me to get into DSLRs and if I want to upgrade next year these lenses will be fine with the K10D (or it's successor)

I'm excited! After waiting for Dell for around six weeks this will be a piece of cake, waiting a few days for the order to arrive from Beach.

Dan

Last edited by Photodan; 01-23-2007 at 06:15 AM.
01-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote
Well - Dell rolled the possible ship date out to 1-29 today and I ran out of patience. I called and it took 25 minutes just to cancel the order.

Then went to Beach Camera and ordered the K100D with 18-55 and the 50-200, both in stock.

Total for both the k100d with kit lens and the 50-200 was $776.99 shipped from Beach.

I'll still have over $300 toward the DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED that I badly need (want).

The K100D will be great for me to get into DSLRs and if I want to upgrade next year these lenses will be fine with the K10D (or it's predecessor)

I'm excited! After waiting for Dell for around six weeks this will be a piece of cake, waiting a few days for the order to arrive from Beach.

Dan

Good manoeuver. I'm happy with my Pentax stuff. I use the 10-17mm a lot.
01-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photodan Quote

The K100D will be great for me to get into DSLRs and if I want to upgrade next year these lenses will be fine with the K10D (or it's predecessor)

Dan
I think you made a good move twice....

first one is to cancel the Dell order.... I just can't see getting the proper support from a place the deals mostly in computers. Of course I have been wrong before.

second, after using my wife's K100 there is absolutley nothing wrong with it... in some ways having a camera that is easier to use then the K10 is not a bad thing, especially when she can turn on the camera, turn the dial to the desired mode and take the shot all in the time it takes me to figure out which setting will work best. Might be a bit of an exageration, but not far from the truth
pardon the spelling

cheers

randy
01-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Too good to be true

I don't think dell was scamming anyone but when a price is too good to be true people need to either hold out and deal with the wait, or pass it up.

honestly, if you don't need or want the camera right away whats 2-3 months for $200. But if you want the camera then you should by it.

I'm a little confused as to how deal is selling that camera at 20% below retail.

Most electronics, even SLR's make about 10-15% for the retailer. This means that at the Dell price, dell is essentially giving them away. They aren't making a profit.

My guess is they negotiated a bulk deal large enough to get a price drop.

So they might be happy to make 5% and get you to buy a few periperals (cards, extra lens, etc).
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
I don't think dell was scamming anyone but when a price is too good to be true people need to either hold out and deal with the wait, or pass it up.

honestly, if you don't need or want the camera right away whats 2-3 months for $200. But if you want the camera then you should by it.

I'm a little confused as to how deal is selling that camera at 20% below retail.

Most electronics, even SLR's make about 10-15% for the retailer. This means that at the Dell price, dell is essentially giving them away. They aren't making a profit.

My guess is they negotiated a bulk deal large enough to get a price drop.

So they might be happy to make 5% and get you to buy a few periperals (cards, extra lens, etc).
Dell might be making a bit of money on shipping too.
01-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #30

Original Poster
My comments about Pentax is based on several postings and some editorial surmising after the CES this year. Most of it is officially unconfirmed, but multiple people can not just be wrong about the same thing, including several knowledgable people I know.

I Still believe there is truth in withholding numbers from discounters because it makes sense to maximize profits on a new item. Eventually the stock will even out and the price will come down or become more stable in the discount realms that we shop in.

But the Dell deal was offered during the holiday season for 15% off plus I had a 5% additional off coupon. So I was attempting to get a 20% discount on a recently introduced camera.. At the time the thing was listed as a 1-2 week availability, then Dell started this "slippage" routine. I am now looking at my Fourth Estimated Ship date of 29 Jan.

But what I am finding is that Dell now has terrible customer service and even worse ordering system. I would expect a Email at least to inform the customer that the item was delayed but so far I have received NOTHING. I am now considering just canceling the order soon and moving on to another supplier that i can trust, B&H. Adorama or possible the Army Air Force Exchange Service (who assure me that if I order, it ships from the vendor), Anywhere but Dell.

Dell use to sell good computers and other items.. but this order has proven to me that they have changed.