Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2007, 05:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sad - The Dell discount deal

Well Last night I checked the Dell account to see if my K10D that I ordered from Dell under the discount program from Mid December has shipped. It read a ship date of 1/4/07. It stated not yet shipped.

This morning I check again and the ship date is now 1/11/07. A Month wait for a discount? I think I sort of been had.

going to decide soon if I want to continue the order. Its the principle of the thing.

01-05-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Come on now, don't give up yet.

There's a long thread over on Phil's site with a lot of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing. The Dell website indicated a wait when we ordered back in mid-December so we knew they had no K10s at the time.

They obviously haven't gotten a shipment yet or those cameras would be on their way to us right now. I never dealt with these people but I don't really see anything unethical so far (other than a failure to keep us advised).

Give them one more week and, if it changes again on 1-11, cancel the order.

I have to admit I was more than a little surprised when I finally went to Resellerratings.com and saw Dell's poor showing. I had previously considered them to be a quality outfit but there's a lot of dissatisfaction there.

Oh well, they don't hit your credit card until the item is shipped so.........

Dan
01-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

First of November?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitanis Quote
This morning I check again and the ship date is now 1/11/07. A Month wait for a discount? I think I sort of been had.
Do not forget that this is international forum and only americans use this weird date format. Everyone else read it as 1st of November, 2007
01-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Edvinas, it is alright. We know it is american way of writing the date... Since blockbuster movies are all based in American setting with American actors/actress anyway.

To kitanis, stick with the same plan. k10d is worth waiting. Since you already waited for so long, just stick to the plan

01-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Do not forget that this is international forum and only americans use this weird date format. Everyone else read it as 1st of November, 2007
Edvinas,

Are you serious? I assume you're joking - right?

Dan
01-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

Good investment

Dell is a top notch outfit when it comes to quality of their products in my
opinion. However, their customer service is so bad that I'd never buy from
them again if I could get the quality elsewhere.
I bought a computer from them a couple years ago and they double charged me out of my checking account for it. There wasn't enough money in there to
pay for it twice, so the 2nd charge bounced, then they turned me over to a
collection agency and wouldn't ship the computer I'd paid for one and a half
times!
Took a month to straighten it out.
Then I was reading an article about Dells problems and they included a
case where they had done the exact same thing to a preacher somewhere
in New England!

Keep in mind though - if you're saving 10% on the camera by waiting, that's
a pretty good return on your money if you only have to wait a month or two,
in the 100% per annum range. I'd wait.
01-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

america is month/day/year the rest of the world is day/month/year..

it can cause confusion.. not in this case else it would be long blo-dy wait till the 1st of november 2007.. he he

trog

01-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't go by Dells shipping dates. Ordered the Olympus E300 2 lens kit from them. Shortly after the ship date jumped forward a whole month. Camera arrived 3 days later. A month before it was being shipped! K10D is worth waiting for.
thanks
barondla
01-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
I am still not sure about keeping the order.. But thats becaues of pesonal ideals about customer service etc.

But I get the message of dates.. I am in the USAF and I Usually use 4 January 2007 type dating.. but I was going by whats on Dells website in my earlier postings.
01-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dell is at the mercy of the supply chain... Same w/ when I ordered my D. A web retailer was selling it at (at the time) a VERY low price. Ordered it and waited, and waited, but eventually got it. I didn't blame them. Just that there was not enough production at the time. To me this situation is identical.
Now if you were getting bumped or the original order listed it as in stock, that would be a different story.
01-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

patience is a virtue. only quit when they tell you that they can't ship product. as long as order is active - then just wait. it's like waiting for your new car on order.....it's all worth it...
01-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

[QUOTEamerica is month/day/year the rest of the world is day/month/year..
[/QUOTE]

But both ways are wrong. It should be year/month/day so that a list will sort correctly (without having to define a database field as a date format). My picture numbering system is set up that way :-)
01-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

totally off topic but day/month/year or year/month/day have a kinda logic to them..

but month/day/year dosnt.. can any american out there clue me in as to why the system is used by them.. ??

i have asked this question before i think.. but have forgotten the answer.. he he

trog
01-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
totally off topic but day/month/year or year/month/day have a kinda logic to them..

but month/day/year dosnt.. can any american out there clue me in as to why the system is used by them.. ??
Sorting logic within a year to produce month based calendars. If you sort US mm/dd dates you'get proper monthly calendar, if you sort EU dd/mm you'll get a much less usefull list. It was used for yearly ledgers (and then early databases) where each book represents a year and the year itself is assumed (e.g. table name).

For OP. I'm in the same predicament with Dell as you but I tread lightly. $250 below current market price for K10D kit (even if you search today) is a mighty good deal. To me it's worth waiting a little longer. If I see that prices on K10D start to drop then I'll simply cancel the Dell and order from B&H and get it next day. Win-win situation me thinks
01-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
You can't go by Dells shipping dates. Ordered the Olympus E300 2 lens kit from them. Shortly after the ship date jumped forward a whole month. Camera arrived 3 days later. A month before it was being shipped! K10D is worth waiting for.
thanks
barondla
Quoted for truth. Dell's "expected ship dates" are pure fiction, and like Scotty's estimates on the Enterprise, exaggerated.

I once bought an OS upgrade to a Dell Axim handheld (since sold). They kept saying "ship date unknown," even after UPS dropped the disc off at my house.