Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheapest weather resistant K-mount digital camera?

I currently have a K-x which I very much enjoy.

The main lens I use on the camera is the DA 18-135. I love its range and quality, but I was also thinking of the future and making use of its weather resistance.

In the long run, I may just end up saving for a K-30 and using the K-x as a backup.
In the short run, I was looking around for the cheapest weather resistant K-mount camera. I'm mostly hoping to get lucky and stumble across something that makes sense to buy, but from what I can tell, the most likely WR cams I would be looking for are:
  • K10D or Samsung GX 10
  • K20D or Samsung GX 20
  • K200D
Am I missing anything? Thanks.

12-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

I would really go for a K5 classic or a K30 because the others will be a step back in IQ for you over the Kx.
12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Got a K10 and couldn't be happier. Only thing I'd be worried about is if the seals will be in top shape on an older body. Not heard of any issues but rubber has it's life span you know.
12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K10D would probably the cheapest option, there's one on the marketplace or $250:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/188237-sale-p...x-reduced.html

But yeah, I would probably get a K-30, because it won't cost you much after you sell the K-x.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have a K10D but I am looking forvard to a K30 or a K5. Not that it's a bad camera, I will certainly keep it, but it has some serious issues which may dissapoint you after using the K-x: Low light IQ (max. ISO is 1600 and it's very noisy) and AF (slow and has focussing errors with some lenses). Otherwise it has superb low ISO IQ and feels great in hand. If you can find it cheap, go for it...
12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, all! I would like to have a backup (and it would be nice at times to have one cam w/ the 18-135 and the other ready to go w/ something wider, longer, or faster depending on the situation), but I may end up doing as Adam suggested and sell the K-x to get the K-30. Then again, I may get lucky and come upon one of those older ones for cheap...
12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #7

I recently bought a new K-5,had both K-X and K-10.Planned on selling one but hadn't fully decided which one to let go.Was out with the K-X with a family member and told him my new camera coming and he wanted to buy the K-X which I sold.Now regret selling the K-X and keeping the K-10 which I will probably sell and get another K-x,have already been searching ebay and this forum for one.With the added controls and a few other things that make taking pictures easier the K-X seems to turn out as good a quality photos as the K-5.K-10 also turns out good quality images in good light but not as much room to crop for prints as a camera with more MP but will turn out as good as any for viewing on screen.