Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K5IIs - K5 on steroid

I got to try out my K5IIs today. Made up my mind that I will not return it (still in box) to get the D600 deal. So I open the box.

I think enough for the negativity for Pentax (well, Pentax deserve some of the blame,LOL). In short summary, the K5IIs is like K5 on steroid
Pictures taken with DA* lenses all looks sharper and focus is really fast in low light (no more hunting around). I have never use AF.C on my K5 as we all know, it is a little embarrassingly slow. But AF.C on K5IIs is very respectable, and I would say very usable (have yet to use it in real shooting situation). Usually upgrading camera won't drastically upgrade your image (lens will) but in this case K5IIs did upgrade your pic quality.

The LCD screen is a nice, 'easy' update and we can expect to see this type of LCD on subsequent bodies.

Now that Pentax have 'solve' the focus speed issue, we can expect if the FF ever come, it will be awesome.

Anyway, as a K5 user I thought K5IIs will not impress me as much as my upgrade from K200 to K5, but it did.
But there are aspect of FF sensor that are still attractive to me and will I get one immediately if Pentax offer one. If not, will say hello to Nikon.
Right now, will play with the K5IIs while I wait.

All in all, K5IIs is a worthy upgrade, even if you are a K5 user. I think it will blow your mind if you use other Pentax cameras beside K5.

2013, let us hope Ricoh/Pentax bring us more exciting product! (Hello? where is the new DA* lens?!)

12-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, I'm happy to hear that they've managed to make another loyal user happy with the IIs!

If the full frame does end up being delayed for whatever reason (i.e. won't be announced by the end of next year), I'm crossing my fingers that we'll at least see an APS-C body like the D300s. That would still be a step forward, especially considering that they're releasing expensive lenses like the 560mm now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Great to read. I will get the K-5 II s next year.
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
All in all, K5IIs is a worthy upgrade, even if you are a K5 user. I think it will blow your mind if you use other Pentax cameras beside K5.
Having upgraded to a K-5II (not "s") from a K-7 this past sunday, I can only agree

12-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing your experience on the upgrade (from k-5 to k-5II or -5IIs). I will be looking at the upgrade next year....
12-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
So happy to hear about your experience!
12-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
cwe

So far I can only agree having upgraded from K-7 to K-5II. The AF is much faster and the better ISO handling has added new value to my DA* lenses.

12-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad my experience helps other still decide whether to get K5IIs.

Another thing I found out about K5IIs focus - I shoot subject in direct sun light (evening) and amazingly, the focus didn't hunt, and lock focus really quick. Usually in this shooting situation, K5 will have trouble finding the subject to focus and I have to cover the sun with my other hand to get focus lock on subject, switch to manual focus, then shoot. Not with K5IIs.
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good to know, thanks.

Looking forward to getting back home next week to finally get my hands on mine!
12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #10

I totally agree...the Pentax IIs is much more impressive that I expected...and I own a K-20, two K-5 (Silver and Black), a K-30 and a K-r. Just by comparing it to the K-5 I can says the AF is greatly improved...focus is fast and accurate, and the low light ability is awesome. And then....the sharpness....Oh God!!!!! It's impressive. Pictures are clear, sharp, amazing detail. I might sell the K-5 Silver and get another IIs. It's a very very worthy upgrade. Highly recommended.
12-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #11

I have had my new IIs for only about a week or so. The AF upgrade from my GX10 (K10D) is astounding. I was editing some photos yesterday and it was then that I realized just how much more detail I was getting in my shots. I am mightily impressed by the image quality that seems to be coming out of my lenses now. So far I have not encountered any moire with the kind of shooting I do. I am so happy that I bit on the K5 IIs when it was only $20 more than the K5 II. So far so damn good!
12-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When shooting with my K-5 and K-5 IIs side-by-side the K-5 suddenly started hunting a lot with the F*300! I don't remember it having that problem before (I must have been putting up with it!).

A very noticeable change indeed.

The IIs also seems to have improved the image quality of my videos as well. This is interesting, since function- and specification-wise they've changed absolutely nothing about video recording. Must be the sensor. Ditto on the unexpected 1-stop improvement in SR effectiveness (can get away w/ 1/6s in a pinch - used to be unusable below 1/13s on the K-5 and any previous Pentax bodies I've owned).
12-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So far there is only one small thing that bothers me with the K-5 II: the 1-second delay when you press "Ok" to switch between AF point control and the other functions of the 4-way controller.

IMHO the K-7's way of doing things was less intrusive. It would be nice if we could choose the behaviour with a custom setting (eg. 1: Ok centers AF point, 1s delay to switch mode; 2: Ok to switch mode, 1s delay centers AF point).
12-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
So far there is only one small thing that bothers me with the K-5 II: the 1-second delay when you press "Ok" to switch between AF point control and the other functions of the 4-way controller.

IMHO the K-7's way of doing things was less intrusive. It would be nice if we could choose the behaviour with a custom setting (eg. 1: Ok centers AF point, 1s delay to switch mode; 2: Ok to switch mode, 1s delay centers AF point).
The same setting issue exist in K5. I don't like this setting as well !!
12-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The same setting issue exist in K5. I don't like this setting as well !!
Yeah, I know the K-5 behaved the same way. Hence I also know my idea of a custom setting is just wishful thinking :/