Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
Xgear

Yes exactly the same and repeatable every time.
I have a copy of the error log file and my system information export file I would like to send to the software developer.
I can share this information with group if you think it would help.

you have support email?

01-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Having folder properties set as "read only" and then designing software to completely ignore the marker is sort of stupid. In IBM's case, if a folder is read only then it can't write to it.
I don't disagree, and far be it from me to defend MS, but they have stated that the read-only flag on folders means they are "special", not that they are read-only. It doesn't really make sense, but it is not unusual for a (maybe lazy) software designer to use an existing flag for a different purpose, and for IBM to ignore an apparently documented feature (however peculiar) is rather blinkered.

I could even suggest that in this both companies are behaving true to form!

I think we're getting a bit off-topic here, since it has no bearing on the PPL problem

Simon
01-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I was wondering if there is a way to reset the preferences in pentax photo lab?

I understand what you're saying, but for me it didn't work "right out of the box", so I doubt any sort of reset would be likely to work, though if someone suggests a process I'd be willing to try it.

I think as trog100 suggested it's a matter of incompatibility somewhere (maybe video driver?).

Simon
01-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Xgear

SIMON
Like I said I have same problem and have a copy of the error log file and my system information export file and would like to send to the software developer.
Where did you find that UK support email? Maybe I can find for USA

Most of the time stuff like this is video driver related.

01-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xgear Quote
SIMON
Like I said I have same problem and have a copy of the error log file and my system information export file and would like to send to the software developer.
Where did you find that UK support email? Maybe I can find for USA

Most of the time stuff like this is video driver related.
I think I reported it to Pentax UK Customer Service, linked from here

The equivalent for the USA appears to be here

Simon
01-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #21
Xgear

Thank you Simon sent that information off. Lets see if we get a response.

I noticed that the Administrative Offices and Service Repair Center are in Golden Colorado.
Will be in the area in a few weeks for ski trip. Maybe I can drop in with me laptop.

Picture of Golden. At the foothills of the Rockies
Attached Images

01-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #22
Xgear

Reply from pentax now waiting to here from ACD Systems

Reply from pentax now waiting to here from ACD Systems.

From Pentax:
“ If you are getting that error message on your computer then the best thing to do would be to contact ACDSee. For information regarding ACDSee image management software, please contact ACD Systems directly at: 866-244-2237 or 800-579-5309 or at ACDSee Photo Software ACDSee Photo Software . A representative will be happy to assist, and may have a few questions.”
01-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same error when I tried greypoint manually also and I changed some settings in the options, I think changing auto raw display to 1:2 instead of full size did it but it seems to work on mine now (knock on wood). see if it helps on yours, my image magnification works too. sfsg

tomb.

01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #24
Xgear

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I had the same error when I tried greypoint manually also and I changed some settings in the options, I think changing auto raw display to 1:2 instead of full size did it but it seems to work on mine now (knock on wood). see if it helps on yours, my image magnification works too. sfsg

tomb.
No this problem is with Pentax Photo Laboratory that is the Photo Browser.
I don’t hang or crash there just very slow rendering if option for main image view for raw file view is set to auto raw display life size.
Like you said keep that set to simple view, ½ or ¼ size raw.
01-10-2007, 11:01 PM   #25

I drop the pictures into the "My Pictures" folder. However, this folder may be anywhere on the disk. (Typically) "My Pictures" is a logical name for the folder:

c:\Documents and Settings\<user-name>\<user-name>'s Documents\<user-name>'s Pictures.

You can change this mapping so that "My Pictures" points to any folder in your machine using a tool called tweakui (provided free by Microsoft).

I'd put the files from the camera anywhere on the hard drive (until I back them up periodically). From what I've read and done, I maintain the original file and mark it read-only (so I won't accidentally overwrite it). I make copies out of the originals and create several "flavours" of the original. I pick the best and get a print.

I'm yet to go digital, the above is my experience with the scans of my slides.
01-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oops

I thought mine worked with the grey-point ok, then I tried a DNG and it gets the error again but it worked with PEF files must be a glitch with the DNG's ??? I was just deciding to use DNG for the flexability with other programs too.????
tb
01-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #27

Original Poster
Yes, I probably should have mentioned that my problem was with DNG. Given the patchy support I couldn't see the point in using PEF (anyone know of any advantages?).

So it seems that the greypoint problem could be more widespread than at first thought. Maybe it is a problem with the application rather than a rare incompatibility with other things on my computer. Anyone else fancy trying to set a greypoint on a DNG using Pentax Photo Laboratory?

As previously reported, I have now downloaded UFRaw which seems to work pretty well, though I am yet to use it in anger (i.e. on an image I really need). I'd certainly give PPL another chance though if this "stopper" of a problem was fixed.

Thanks

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 01-16-2007 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Fixed link
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #28
Xgear

I talked with a Pentax technician on the phone today as suggested in a reply from my email request for help. He did not think that the program crash was a problem because anyone who would use the DNG file format would use Adobe products not Pentax Photo Laboratory. I tried to explain if he would give me contact information for software developer, we could report the problem for a fix in future update. He said he did not have that information and they get the software from Japan. I reported that I was not alone and directed him to this web forum. I know most hardware manufactures provide starter or light software packages but they are supported buy the developers with version updates and upgrade offers. So I am confused, should I just give up here?

Email quote:

>Dear Sir/Madam,

>Thank you for contacting Pentax.
>Pentax Photo Laboratory version 3.10 is made by Pentax. Due to the nature of your >question interactive assistance is required please call 1-800-877-0155.

>Sincerely,
>Spencer Todd
>Pentax Imaging Technical Support

>Your Email:
>>You need more information I will try to clarify. ACD Systems does develop Pentax >>Photo Laboratory
>>Camera is a K10D
>>Software is Pentax Photo Laboratory version 3.10
>>Operating system is windows XP home SP2

>>when a RAW file is open In the "Custom Processing" configuration under "White >>Balance", I select "Gray Point Setting" and click on the image with eyedropper tool. >>As soon as I click, I get an error - PPHLAB03.exe has encountered a problem and >>needs to close.
>>attched are error log and my system information file.
01-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xgear Quote
I talked with a Pentax technician on the phone today as suggested in a reply from my email request for help. He did not think that the program crash was a problem because anyone who would use the DNG file format would use Adobe products not Pentax Photo Laboratory.
This is rubbish (not you, Xgear, but your Pentax tech.). I do not use Adobe products (except Acrobat, but that's irrelevant). I choose to use DNG rather than PEF from my K10D because none of the software I use currently supports PEF (as far as I am aware). But, more importantly, just say that Pentax, a niche player, stopped making DSLRs tomorrow; no future software would support PEF. However, much of my current software has at least partial support for DNG, so DNG is reasonably assured to have at least some degree of future proof-ness, whereas PEF (in a worst case scenario) could disappear tomorrow.

JPEG and TIFF are open standards. Even if everyone moves away from them there will be plenty of time to convert your images to the new supported standards. If PEF disappeared there may be no way forward (in the worst case). DNG sits somewhere between those two situations, and where raw gives sufficient benefit to outweigh the risk, it is the obvious solution whether you are using Adobe software or not.

Simon.

Last edited by Simon; 01-16-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: corrected typo
01-16-2007, 07:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

FYI: I have some DNG's from a K10 that I tried to process in Photolab and had no problems w/ greypoint or a histogram adjustment. Processed and saved the file just fine. So it's not universal but I can understanding the annoyance. I sugggest a selective startup of windows programs/processes and try to eliminate a possible competing program. You 2 (Simon and XGEAR) may have a program in common that causes problems.