Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Simple - get both -

get a worthwhile dSLR - eg: look for used K-x or K-r - both are outstanding IQ for low $$.
and get a controllable compact like of the Canon G-series.
The immediate previous G's were the G12 and G11 - they may have dropped in price used by now since the introduction of the G15.

Compacts as their name suggests are smaller and lighter and easier to carry around - so it encourages carry - what's the use of the world's bestest dSLR if it's at home.

No, the ultimate IQ is not as good as a good dSLR -
BUT at low'ish sensitivities most compact do not give much away to dSLRs -
you can judge for yourself - I have a whole thread -
$80 p&s compact thread ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

I am not necessarily suggesting the Canon A1200 (which can be found as low as $35-44 refurbished from Canon! - as it's almost auto-everything)
but hopefully it shows that even a cheapo p&s compact can manage respectable results.

Hope that helps

12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies.....

Hi everyone.

Thank you to all of you for your replies.I I'll take it from here now.

I'll be buying a pentax dslr.Not interested in compact or secondhand.And,just the one camera.

You have all given me plenty to consider before buying.There were suggestions on these pentax:
KR,K5,K30,etc.The KR was one of my preferred choices.Still going to do the research to narrow it down.

I found ryda.com.au prices:

Ryda Digital Cameras - Pentax Digital SLR Cameras

Ryda also have camera bundles:

Digital SLR Camera Value Bundles - RYDA Digital Cameras

As for camera bags I like this brand:
Lowepro - Adventura 170

The only thing I need at this stage is for recommendations where to buy?

Chris.
12-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Simple - get both -
Yes.
There is no conflict between them. They are different tools for different purposes.
I have both a Canon S95 and a K5. Without one or the other I would consider my kit incomplete.
They are no more comparable than trying to compare a tractor to a family sedan.
This is assuming both are well suited for their particular purpose.

Last edited by wildman; 12-25-2012 at 06:06 AM.