Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My wish for the new DSLR - BE version

With all the new electronic wiz bang features for the new cameras that we will have to pay for now and in the future, and never mind the cost of good glass. I wish that Pentax could really design a view finder that a person with glasses could use. The eye piece adapter is is a stop gap measure that almost works. I know I am not the only person with this issue of bad eyes or wear glasses and I would pay extra and forgo a DA * lens to buy the the Pentax DSLR BE version. The BE for Bad Eyes version with the compensated viewfinder.... not the eyepiece adapter. Actually have a viewfinder with a little larger front quality eyepiece glass, eyepiece cover that actually likes glasses, SMC non glare coating of course for the eyepiece glass, slight brighter view inside the viewfinder, and most importantly a finer tolerance eye compensation wheel that really compensates for us Pentax users with bad eyes. To see sharp focus again and not hope it is focused...ahhhh that would be would be priceless....

02-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You are not alone.

Though i am one of those that can read the last line when i get my eyes checked. You know, the line that says "Printed by yada yada..." (well.. almost). Despite this i think the current viewfinders are pure crap, it is like a small keyhole. I can imagine the big frustration for a person with glasses who do not see as well as i do. But it do not neccesarily have to be brigheter, when it gets larger you feel like it is brighter. Current viewfinders has 0.9-something of the area of the crop factor sensor. Some cameras from late seventies had actually almost twice the viewfinder area compared to current DSLRs, though they was not as bright due to a real focusing screen made for manual focus, but they felt just as bright.

Last edited by Kiss; 02-16-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
02-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have to agree with you. I wear glasses,and it is a pain having to "twist" your eye to see the display in the bottom of the VF. My eyes are too bad for the included diopter adjustment, and having to take your glasses off everytime you want to take a picture stinks anyway, since you don't see anything that is going around without those glasses.
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't wear glasses but the problem I was having was that when the camera told me the image was in focus, it didn't look focused to me. You can imagine how helpful this is for manual focusing! I had the adjustable diopter all the way to the right (-2.5) but felt like I needed 1-2 more notches. Pentax doesn't seem to have any diopter accessories, so I ended up buying a Nikon one that extends the diopter range to -5.5...and I can finally see everything in focus! In fact, I just installed it yesterday, took some test shots with the FA 50mm f/1.4, and found that my manual focussing was sharper than the K10Ds AF! Woohoo!

[SHAMLESS PLUG ALERT]
But on the road to this, I accidently bought the wrong diopter add-on before I bought the second, correct one. If anyone out there has the diopter adjuster set all the way to the left (+1.5) and feels they need to go a bit higher in order to see a focussed viewfinder, send me a PM if you would like to purchase my spare diopter.