Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is My Brand New K10D Broken? Please Help!

I was walking around taking some shoots and the camera went into "Auto Power Off" mode. I pressed the shutter halfway to wake it up and continued shooting. All the pictures after it woke up looked like the one here. Since then I have turned off the auto power off, but now sometimes when I turn on the camera it give me pics like this. the only way to fix it is to turn the camera off, then back on.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.3, but I did not encounter any problems doing that. Please help. I lost about 20 shoots before I realized all the pictures were black & green!

02-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Forum Member

Yep, looks like it.
02-16-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Looks like it is messed up. Maybe try re-downloading/installing the firmware upgrade
02-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster

On a side note, once I turn it of then turn it back on I still get great quality images like this one. And the problem seems to be intermittent.

02-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Intermittent problems in electronic devices are usually heat related. Does it happen once the Camera has been on for a while? Powering it down will usually reset the computer in the camera. I think it would be prudent to have it serviced, or if it is new as you say, return it for an exchange.
02-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know, It's been really cold outside, and it mostly happens when I go from the inside (72F) to the outside (27-35F)...
02-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could it be that you have got some condensation into the electronics? Still seems like it will need fixing now.

BTW 27C is not really cold; ask Duplo on his Greenland shots! LOL

If humid might still get condensation at those temperatures

02-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't removed the lens since I got it so I don't think any moisture got in. I've used it all day today without a problem and it was 72F and humid at a tire shop. In Atlanta humidity is always a problem. I'm gonna keep a eye on it. I'd hate to have to send it back since the viewfinder is PERFECTLY aligned, and I know there have been issues with other K10D's having it be misaligned. I would hate to get one with that problem if they swap it.
02-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unusual problem.
Probably worthwhile going back to your vendor and showing them your erroneous shots.
They should replace your K10D - if the problem is intermittent now, it may get worse in the future.
02-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem is my vendor is B&H in New York Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so what was it? I haven't tried reloading the 1.3 firmware yet. If I did would it even accept it since it already has it on the camera?
02-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

I don't know what you mean by viewfinders having problems with alignment; I can't say that I've noticed people complaining about it. Even if it was a worry, there's no way I would keep a camera with a problem like that if I was still in the period to exchange it. Your other alternative is sending it off to Pentax Service to get it fixed, but it will likely take several weeks.
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
I don't know what you mean by viewfinders having problems with alignment; I can't say that I've noticed people complaining about it.
Where have you been???????
114 replies here alone.....wouldn't even bother to count at dpreview.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/11857-leaning-viewfinder-k10d.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
Even if it was a worry, there's no way I would keep a camera with a problem like that if I was still in the period to exchange it. Your other alternative is sending it off to Pentax Service to get it fixed, but it will likely take several weeks.
I agree.. back it goes to somewhere.......
Pretty sure the chip reads GG on one ADC and RB on the other. Looks like a faulty ADC chip or trace.... Your losing 1/2 your data.....
02-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Where have you been???????
114 replies here alone.....wouldn't even bother to count at dpreview.

In his defense, perhaps he missed those 114 messages in amongst the 2,550+ threads, 33,260+ messages, posted this sub-forum alone ("Pentax DSLR Discussion") by the 5,700+ members here. After all, compared to all that, complaints about leaning viewfinders are indeed relatively rare.

stewart
02-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Intermittent problems in electronic devices are usually heat related. Does it happen once the Camera has been on for a while? Powering it down will usually reset the computer in the camera. I think it would be prudent to have it serviced, or if it is new as you say, return it for an exchange.
Another cause of intermittent behavior in electronic products, and particularly suspect if the product is new or nearly new, are switch/contacts that are slightly dirty or misaligned in production. I agree with Mr. Hyde in either case; I'd contact B&H for warranty service or an exchange. Good luck!
02-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
Problem is my vendor is B&H in New York Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so what was it? I haven't tried reloading the 1.3 firmware yet. If I did would it even accept it since it already has it on the camera?
HenryP works there there.
If he doesn't respond to this post why not write him a PM and ask for some advice

I haven't gotten anything from them, but in my opinion they're one of the better on-line stores, and they might be able to help you out with something.