Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I am sold on everything about getting a used K10D except the low light issue I have read about hear and in other forums.

From the sounds of it, it is more of the spot metering or the double check on AF that slows things up, but others have said too little contrast is too blame. Maybe it is all or either, or a mix!

I want to get the K10D over a Canon 30D, but indoor candid shots of family is a common thing I will be shooting.

Can anyone just put it black and white for me? Is it that the ISO is too noisy or is it that the AF causes you to loose the moment?

Help!

02-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The K20D has been shown to do very well at high ISOs (nearing Canon quality, and at lower ISOs, surpassing it) so you may want to consider saving for one!
02-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
david

in march 2008 Popular Photography there is a review of the K20D and it discusses the low light performance of autofocus, which is similar to K10D that I own.

To be honest, I have NEVER had an issue with low light AF and I doubt whether you will either.

Also, if you are doing a lot of indoor family shots, if you get a good flash it will have an AF illuminator, and then there is not any issue at all
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

echo $low_light

i think "low light" is a very loose term in this digital eon . it is more about contrast than light, in my experience.

things i noticed (they are, ofcourse, rather subjective): in low light (i am not talking candids here, i am talking concerts, shooting mostly with "junky" teles: tamron, pentax 50-200, not * zooms or primes), the k100d knocks the socks off my former nikon d50. the d50 was not bad at all, but with one usable af sensor (the other four are not cross type - which is horrible in low light, and are placed in all the _wrong_ places) it was really a pain to use, and would hunt about as much as or more than the k100d in similar conditions. the speed was not impressive to me either (the lens is also important here, i know). for "measurbating" tests, i would put my money on the d50 in low light, mind you - although not by a high margin, but for actually _using_ the damn thing in real shooting situations, overall i prefer the k100d, and i adore the k10d (note: no concert shooting as of yet with that one, just got it a few weeks ago; which reminds me: need to get some jazz into my system soon ).

i am also rather tired of the hype about k10d noise versus k100d (or other 6mp sensors), i have come to realise i was missing out like an idiot: the noise in the k10d is as far as i can tell superb, at least up to iso800, not inexistent, but not worse than the d50 (i recently compared shots took at the same time, same conditions with it and my gx10, at _native_ iso, with long exposures. both had grain, ofcourse, but i was shocked to see the grain on the d50 was ugly to me). so it's not all about measurements and "objective ratings". photography is not objective, and it is not all about technology, speed, fps, sensors and lines per mm and lenses. to think one of the reasons i went for the k100d first, instead the k10d, was "the sensor".. lesson learned for me.

so, the point is: ymmv, it depends a lot on your usage patterns i guess. for instance the k10d has a handy switch between center, auto, and selectable point af, that alone, in real life shooting, blows me away in terms of speed/convenience. i don't know about the 30d, i heard it is a very good camera, but i don't know it. if you want to point randomly and bang the shutter, and get something in focus everytime, in a dimly lit bar, i suppose the 30d might be the winning horse, but i am unsure if that would go also for actual real life shooting, for _you_. again: try it.

i would say you talk to your favourite pentaxian friend, borrow his k10d for an hour (or weekend), and have fun with it (but treat it with respect, please ). decide for yourself, after (same might be applyed to your favourite shop, if they are that cool to help you in this way )

hope this helps a bit

Last edited by nanok; 02-22-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typos.. damn keyboard :-P
02-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #20

Thank you guys! All the features are just so superb on the K10D on paper.
02-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

just did a quick, non-scientific test (the kind for which the likes of the feared ricehigh would flame my ass to the moon ). samsung gx10 (k10d with the longer badge) versus nikon d50, kit lenses (note the nikon is ultra sonic or whatever it is called, the pentax not).

with af illumination off, they are both hit and miss, in my traditionally dimly lit flat (those who have seen my gallery already know i am a vampire of sorts). i am talking 6s @f8 iso100-dim here. when it "gets it" the nikon is faster due mainly to the lack of "loop checking", most cases where one misses, the other misses also. in some cases they really strugle (both), but finaly lock on, in those cases the gx10 seems faster, there are quite a few cases where one gets it and the other not. mostly, they are on par, maybe with the nikon having a slight edge (seems to me due to that wider central sensor, which in "normal" situations tends to lean back towards sucking more than rocking.. tradeoffs)

however, here comes the funny thing, and the "scientists" here will scream "unfair", but sorry, i don't care, i _shoot_ usualy with my cameras, not test: if i frame normaly (not helping either by puting something contrasty on the sensor, in the centre, more precisely, for the nikon), the nikon is way behind the gx10 with the "auto select point" setting (which i flip into without taking my eye off, sic), unless there is a lot of clutter towrds the centre of the shot and preferably some specular highlights, the nikon is lost: without reframing, it's hard to get it to do something useful. this has reminded me how frustrating it was to shoot concerts with it: i got some good shots, but the big problem was it would dictate framing, i either framed to make it happy and able to af, or could forget it; i hated that, it's me who should chose the frame... reframing while shooting was often not an option, for many reasons (the moment/expression etc is gone). it remains to be seen if the 9 sensors of the pentax can beat reframing with the nikon, in real life (from a short session some time ago with my former beloved k100d, it seemed to hint it probably does knock it's socks off, and haven't even tryed it with auto-select point, as i couldn't be bothered to go into the menu)

so the moral of the story is: try it for yourself, for _real_, not testing, do what _you_ do with it, there are pro's and cons for both systems i have at hand right now, and perhaps canon has it's own peculiarities. the k10d might beneffit from disabling the loop-check as an option, and i might like a center sensor a bit wider (but i am not sure, for critical focusing i tend to prefer the "spot" approach), maybe having a more flexible auto-select option (where you can choose which sensor it is allowed to use, in a custome menu, or, better, fn menu)? but as things are right now, i think i like the k10d just fine. did i mention: "try!!" ?