Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D AF issues.................

This is really beginning to get tiresome. I sent my 50 1.4 back already, the only lens I own, for a replacement, and my camera still simply sucks at AF. If there is ONE object in the frame (a focus chart, for example) it will nail the AF perfectly, no issue whatsoever about getting it exactly spot on. BUT, if there is more than one object in the viewfinder, meaning different focal planes, the camera will automatically, in ANY light (bright, tungsten, dark, anything) lock onto the most contrasty object with perfect AF. I just sat here and shot 50 pictures of my laptop against some window blinds. I had center AF exactly on the center of my laptop's screen with a window behind it, and EVERY SINGLE PHOTO focused on the window. This is really beginning to piss me off. Is this how Pentax AF operates, or is my camera broken?

UPDATE
AF switch was set on constant AF, which causes issues on motionless subjects, my my experience. Sorry for the grief!
A mod can delete this if they want.

Last edited by hudsong; 02-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.
02-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That sounds like an AF problem in your particular camera. I'm not the biggest fan of the AF system but I've not experienced that problem before.
02-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input.
I should've never gone back to Pentax, what a flippin headache this has been.
02-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious: what is your AF point switching dial set to? That's the one around the OK button on the back...

02-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just realized my AF switch was halfway between single and constant.
*takes pistol, puts to temple*
Sorry guys... hahaha....

Last edited by hudsong; 02-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.
02-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps this is something that using focus lock would fix?
02-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hudsong Quote
I just realized my AF switch was halfway between single and constant.
*takes pistol, puts to temple*
Sorry guys... hahaha....
So I assume it works now?
02-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, except it's still duck duck goose in low light, so I'm going to get a katz eye screen I guess..
Here's an example of bad light focusing:
http://oneshot.me.uk/addimages/UUVVWWZ/_IGP2241.jpg
I focused on the guy behind the soundboard, not the soundboard, and that's what I get, almost 10/10 times.

02-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but the problem may not be the camera, it may be your experience focussing the 50/1.4 in low light. IMO, you have if not the best, one of the best and most versatile lenses made for Pentax cameras. It does my heart good to see someone whos only lens is a fixed 50/1.4. It has so much capability, but using it in low light can be very tricky. The reason is that it has such a wide aperture capability. The shot you made was at f/1.4. Based on that lens and the aperture you used, your depth of field was probably about 6 INCHES. That is tiny, and the focus ring movement over that distance is just a breath of a twist.

Is your focus dial set to center? (Metering can be multi, but focus should be center). Where did you focus? Did you center on his face? In these situations I would focus on the edge of the subject. In other words, center your viewfinder on his left ear where there will be huge contrast between his head and the back wall. Then with the button still halfway down, recompose and press the shutter the rest of the way. Realize, if you were using a split-screen focus (like the Katz-eye), that is exactly what you would do: find a strong vertical line of contrast and focus.

Give this some more practice, and you will get it. This is not a problem with Pentax cameras. The issue is that you have a tool with outstanding potential but it takes time to learn how to use it effectively. Most people with SLR's would just have the kit lens, and wouldn't have even been able to attempt that picture because the light is too low. They would never run into this problem because the minimum aperture is so much smaller that it is very easy to focus everything, but there are alot of shots they will miss.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-16-2008 at 12:28 PM.
02-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #10

Use center focuse

I only use center focus on my K10. It is just easer for me to leave the camera in center focus and center everything, then recompose if necessary, then take the shot. Works 99% of the time for me.

Have also begun to use center weighted metering as opposed to matrix metering. Seems better to me most of the time.

To each his/her own!
02-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
by the sounds of it the focusing was on the multi pattern, and is now on center focus. It sounded as if the camera was functioning correctly,.

the only complaint is now with the 1.4 50mm that it is taking too long to focus.

I think he needs to come out of the dark, because personally the only time you cant focus the 1.4 50mm is if you can't see.
02-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Eagle2, I leave my focus setting on centre focus 99% of the time and have very little difficulty with focussing. Having said that I must add, that the problem as set out here, IMHO, is not the camera.
With all due respect, I believe it is the operator needing a bit more time to get used to the operations of the camera and particularly the lens he is using.
Hang in there, mate, and most assuredly you will find that the results will improve markedly, sooner rather than later
02-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I focused on the guy behind the soundboard, not the soundboard, and that's what I get, almost 10/10 times.
But you should be aware of the fact that the focus sensor is much much larger than the red LED dot would suggest. In fact, the center cross focus sensor is as large as the center circle in the viewfinder. So if the bottom of the cross sensor catches the soundboard, the focus would go there. The AF is closer-object bias.
02-21-2008, 01:30 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But you should be aware of the fact that the focus sensor is much much larger than the red LED dot would suggest. In fact, the center cross focus sensor is as large as the center circle in the viewfinder. So if the bottom of the cross sensor catches the soundboard, the focus would go there. The AF is closer-object bias.
Never knew it was that big! That's very helpful to know... and explains alot for me personally.
Thanks!

02-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Yeah, except it's still duck duck goose in low light, so I'm going to get a katz eye screen I guess..
Here's an example of bad light focusing:
http://oneshot.me.uk/addimages/UUVVWWZ/_IGP2241.jpg
Missaligned AF sensors?

Anyway, could you post the same picture with intact EXIF information? I.e. don't use Photoshop for resizing.