Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Focus peaking function on optical view finder

Is it possible? hope pentax makes more tiny Cross type af points when it happens.

12-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it's possible, just insert a split-screen/microprism focusing screen in your camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shucks i have more things to learn. ...
12-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Isn't focus peaking only visible on the camera screen? Ie not through an OPTICAL viewfinder? Through an ELECTRONIC viewfinder it should be possible

12-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Since focus peaking is contrast-detection dependent, you would have to create a way for the light to hit a sensor, generate the focus peaking information, then pass it to the viewfinder.
A couple of ways to do it would be projecting into the viewfinder or MAYBE using some very very small af-point-like lights that would light up where the software is highlighting the edges, although the software isn't always able to detect where the highlighted edges should be, and sometimes the focus peaking appears on the bokeh, for example.
But it should be interesting, and i think Pentax patented a hybrid viewfinder.
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't have firsthand experience with the Fuji Hybrid Viewfinder, but I imagine that it could be made to support focus peaking overlaid on the optical viewfinder.

I've also wondered about the quality of the metering sensor. The D800, for example, has a 91,000 pixel metering sensor in the mirror-down lightpath. Maybe it could be used for focus peaking data collection. I still don't know how you'd overlay the data on the viewfinder, but it is an interesting thought.
12-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think though this sort of stuff must happen, sooner rather than later. Whether it'll be with an optical viewfinder I don't know, much easier with an electronic one.
12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You guys are making me excited! life will be boring without pleasant surprise!

12-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What gets me excited is the idea of in-camera settable gradient ND filters. In-camera focus stacking. Superimposed focus peaking. Electronic shutters. All this stuff is possible we just need a camera company to reach out to new technology and bring the dslr into the 21st century. One of them will do it sooner or later instead of churning out these cash cows which are just incremental evolutions of the old slr.
12-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure it is possible to project an image into a focusing screen.
I guess the best solution would be to make the focus peaking only available when using manual focus, because then you could make a system that would reflect the PDAF sensor's light into a light sensor, creating the image and generating the focus peaking, that would be then projected by a couple of LEDs.
That would also prevent from losing more light by creating another mirror and reflecting it to the sensor.
Made a lame gif to demonstrate :

EDIT :
Another option would be just let the light pass to the main sensor, because i was thinking about it, and the amount of light reflected by the PDAF sensor's mirror is small, and the sensor would have to compensate by cranking up the ISO, generating a noisy image, that isn't adequate to be used for focus peaking.
Also, the optics used in the focus peaking sensor would have to be very bright.

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 12-20-2012 at 06:35 PM.
12-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it is possible even with af. Nikon and Canon shows boxes of area in focus ones shutter is Half press. Imagine quick shifting the focus ring to minute adjust and then the boxes move and light up according to focus area. Basically a hybrid. It will mean the af points have to be small and plentiful. This could spell the end of miss focus.
12-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

But if it is PDAF based then its not focus peaking, because it would still be vulnerable to front/backfocus and all of that.
What you are talking about is having an AF confirm light up whereever there is an area infocus, instead of only lighting up where you selected, but that would require an enourmous amount of AF points, really LOTS of them.