Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the Pentax 540 worth 100 more than Sigma 530 Sup

What are you guys opinions. I was going to go straight got the 530 but then i checked prices around the net and the 540 is 100$ more.

Thanks! If i were to save that 100 I'd probably put it toward a lens fund for a Fa 1.4/50

02-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I say forget the flash and buy the FA 50/1.4 first. You may not need the flash as much after that! Or, Buy the FA 50/1.4 and the Pentax 360 flash.
02-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting Spin! how much should i be looking around for a 50 1.4?
02-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys have you ever heard of this flash??

Soligar DG-42?

https://secure.soligor.com/index.php?id=5&backPID=75&tt_products=6704

Oh gosh... the more i read the more i'm confused.. Is there any big Flash thread here on these forums? I was checking out Dpreview and i guy listed these plus the metz 48

Pentax AF 360 FGZ, 229 EUR
Guide number: 36
Bounce - but no swivel
High-speed sync

Comments: I expect this one will work. But I don't know if I will miss the "swivelability".

start... .../348822/-/Article.html?

Sigma EF-530 DG Super, 272 EUR
Guide number: 53
Swivel + bounce
High-speed sync

Comments: Is it worth going for this one instead of the non-Super (below)? How does it compare to the Pentaxes?

start... .../182126/-/Article.html?

Sigma EF-530 DG ST, 188 EUR
Guide number: 53
Bounce + swivel
No high-speed sync

Comments: Will I miss features from the Super-version? Among these the high-speed sync?

start... .../182098/-/Article.html?

Soligor DG-420 Z, 160 EUR - maybe cheaper

Also known as Dörr D-AF42, Digital Concepts 952AF, and maybe also Sakar "something".
Guide number: 42
Bounce and swivel
No high-speed sync

Last edited by Okami; 02-16-2008 at 01:44 PM.
02-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd avoid anything Sakar/Digital Concepts - made that mistake myself. They're TTL only (despite some claims of P-TTL), and the K100/K10D don't support TTL. More importantly, they simply don't deliver consistent well-exposed photos. Take your chances on that one...

Could go Sigma 530 Super (not ST), with bounce and swivel, but if you don't need swivel, then go Pentax AF-360.

As mentioned before - I agree that the FA 50/1.4 is an essential buy...
02-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Interesting Spin! how much should i be looking around for a 50 1.4?
Amazon.com: Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens: Electronics

B&H also has them for under $200. Read the reviews. You will never find a negative one. It will open up a new world of flash-less photography.

If you do buy a flash, I recommend sticking with the Pentax brand for easy P-TTL with wireless control. If you have a k10d, that capability is built in, so you can put that 360 anywhere in the room, or even hold it in your hand pointing any direction, and fire away and get a perfect exposure because the P-TTL will assure the appropriate amount of light for the subject. I have never missed the lateral swivel on the 360. I will often hold the flash in my hand and point it in any direction. Sometimes I point it behind me in odd directions to bounce it off of something you couldn't reach if the flash was on the camera. The built-in wireless of the k10d combined with the P-TTL makes it too easy.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-16-2008 at 02:16 PM.
02-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

a fast lens is no replacement for a flash

thats just a silly argument.

as for swivrability, it will come in handly when taking vertical shots and you want to bounce.
02-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
thats just a silly argument.

Did you get banned for making comments like that?

02-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Did you get banned for making comments like that?
no.

are you offended because i pointed out a flaw in your logic?
02-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

You didn't point out the flaw. You just said the argument was flawed.

Could you do those of us a favor who are trying to learn from reading these forums and explain WHY you say things? Otherwise your posts are completely useless. I want to know why I should be more inclined to buy a flash before a fast lens.

Last edited by ballgofar; 02-17-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
02-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

no.

are you offended because i pointed out a flaw in your logic?
I can't help the fact that you don't understand my post. Did you see the part about my flash recommendation, or are you just trolling to get banned from another Pentax forum?
02-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can do most shots without a flash, however that one simple device can open up new worlds to creativity.

I just did a product shoot earlier today, and I couldn't have had anywhere near the same results without a remote flash
02-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
a fast lens is no replacement for a flash

I agree with this statement.
02-17-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I guess I'll answer ballgofar's question since the "strobists" won't. Yes a lens is no replacement for a flash, just like a tripod is no replacement for a camera bag. The issue was which to buy first. A fast lens opens up a lot of possibilities for photos where a flash is not allowed (weddings, school events, recitals, lectures, concerts, museums, rides at theme parks), or when it would hinder the natural light, or when you need to take multiple shots quickly such as in a sporting event, etc. etc. It also opens up artistic opportunities with depth of field. A flash is no replacement for a fast lens.

The OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine along with reasons.

And in case you still haven't bothered to read the entire thread, I own a flash, and gave my opinions on that as well.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 02-17-2008 at 01:26 AM.
02-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ballgofar Quote
You didn't point out the flaw. You just said the argument was flawed.

Could you do those of us a favor who are trying to learn from reading these forums and explain WHY you say things? Otherwise your posts are completely useless. I want to know why I should be more inclined to buy a flash before a last lens.

a fast lens, which really just means a big aperture, will give you a brighter view finder and it will give you alot of room to play around with depth of field.

depth of field at an aperture size of anything less than 2 is razor thin, and is usualy reserved for special setup shots, with a little bit of fore-thought as to what you want to do with the picture/scene. Walking around in the dark snapping pictures off at F1.4 is silly, and will not give you the results you need.

while having a lens with an aperture of 2.0 or smaller could give you usable pictures in very low light settings without having to resort to flash, usualy this means very slow, barely usable shutter speed, and unless the people your shooting dont move chances are some motion blur will get into the picture

ohh, and you're probably going to be shooting at ISO 800 at the very least.

end result? shallow depth of field, noise, low dynamic range and a wasted histogram.

solution? throw on a quality P-TTL flash, that "talks" with the camera and provides the correct amount of light.

you can go down on the ISO, increase shutter speed, and increase your aperture, putting more stuff in focus other than the nose of the person you are trying to photograph.

bounce flashes are very non invasive and people wont give you funny looks,

infared beam helps with autofocus without all the silly strobing of the built in flash

and other cool features like curtain sync.

a photograph is light and a light recording medium

a fast lens is simply an artistic tool, without light you have no photograph.

ohh and, my original post contained helpfull insight into the usability of the swirvability of a flash, so i'm not trolling.