Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
baw

Program lines

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
After further thought, the camera would not need to use the program line to calculate exposure in TV or TA mode. Scratch that idea.
On the K10D the program lines only work in the Green and Hyperprogram modes.
See page 144 and/or 145 of the English manual.

03-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
baw

P Shift is used in the PDF accompanying the K10D 1.10 firmware upgrade.
It makes sense if you consider the way the camera chooses an aperture/shutterspeed combination a "Program".

Program lines just influence which combination the camera favors.

The resulting combination is a program choice, you can "shift" away from.

Since it seems you haven't really used Program lines sofar, I'd give a good look at the Sv mode.
Gives you only Normal Program line, BUT you have the rear dial to set ISO, and the front dial to shift the choosen aperture/shutterspeed combination. For EV compensation just push the EV button and turn the front dial.
Pretty convenient imo.
03-13-2008, 04:59 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
On the K10D the program lines only work in the Green and Hyperprogram modes.
See page 144 and/or 145 of the English manual.
Thought I would check this out - (I had only used green mode for first 5 minutes of taking camera out of box last year)

Whatever Program line setting I use, when I press the green button I get completely different aperture/shutter speed combinations depending whether I am in Green or P modes.

So why is this?
03-13-2008, 05:03 AM   #19

Doh - immediately after posting this I realised green mode switches to auto-iso whilst I had P mode at iso 200 which was why I was getting these results.

Sorry to waste your time.

04-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Program-Shift and Hyperprogram are not the same

(this is only correct if hyper-program on the k10d/k20d is the same as on the pz-1p)

Hyperprogram : allows you to effectively switch the camera to Av or Tv modes. It isn't a pure Av or Tv mode, because if the lighting conditions change such that the selected aperture or shutter speed cannot be matched to a shutter or aperture that will give a good exposure, the camera will override the setting you have chosen to maintain exposure.

Program-shift : As has been mentioned before, you only need one dial for program-shift as it maintains exposure while shifting aperture and shutter onto a new program-line. As lighting conditions change, the aperture and shutter speed are adjusted along the new program-line.

In summary - hyperprogram allows you to specify a shutter speed or aperture, whereas program-shift does not - it only allows you select a new program line, and as lighting conditions change, it will adjust aperture and shutter speed.

I have a Nikon F6 which has program-shift, but I do wish it had hyperprogram!

Correct me if I'm plain wrong!

Duncan.

Last edited by Duncan J Murray; 04-27-2008 at 11:52 AM.
04-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

And it all goes to show that the Japanese boffins who come up with these ideas and crazy terms like "hyperprogram" and "program shift" and "P mode" etc etc obviously have no clue about English descriptions. None of these terms describes WHAT the functions actually DO. For goodness sake - exactly WHAT does the newly-coined word "hyperprogram" actually mean?

All those functions are VERY abstruse, vague, hard to pin down in the old brain, as evidenced by the discussions above, all by very smart, experienced, users. The ideas behind these functions are not clear in ANY of the manuals or Magic Lantern books I've read, and this thread really hasn't done anything to clear it up - everybody thinks the terms and the concepts mean different things anyway!

Personally, I just forget about Green mode, P mode, Program shift, Hyperprogram, and all those other related nonsensical terms, and I just stick to Av or Tv (Aperture or Shutter Priority). Once or twice I've played with Sensitivity mode and tried setting the ISO, but I've not really come across a situation where this is actually useful - the two main modes of Av and Tv will do most situations, or else flip into Manual mode if it's all too hard for the camera to work out.

My User mode settings are based on Av, as this is what I use 90% of the time, and the front eDial sets shutter speed, rear eDial sets aperture.

Simple - keep it simple. The boffins have made it too hard, and here we are discussing how to use something we really don't need.