Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #1

Charger/Power Supply

I'm left scratching my head wondering why it is such a big deal that the charger for my K10D can't also be a power supply for the camera too when it is not charging a battery. My last 2 video cameras were like that, and I don't go through video cameras. Those 2 video cameras span about 10 years, so it's not like it a completely foreign concept. I guess they would prefer making us have an extra brick to carry or store at our expense and their profit.

01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i think its a safety thing.. google exploding laptops..

older cameras used to do it in camera with the same device but the newer ones seem to require battery removal and a seperate mains supply device to power the camera..

but it could just be the rip-off factor at work.. cheap crappy charger and make u pay a fortune for the better mains power device to power the camera..

nah.. i was being too kind with my first theory... it must be the second.. he he he

trog

ps.. there is a plus side in the sense u can charge one battery while still useing the camera.. not that much of one thow.. and u do need two batteries to take advantage of it..
01-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this is such a big deal at all. The two situations where I can see the adapter being necessary already involve a huge outlay of dough. If you need it for astro--how much did you pay for your scope? If you need it for the studio--how much did your studio setup cost? What is another $70 bucks?

The price is also set at what they think the market(s) can bear. Not every camera needs a power supply, (still cameras consume a fraction of the juice most video cameras can,) and most folks wouldn't want to be forced into buying it.

It's silly to think a company is out to get you, especially when you buy into a commodity.
01-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"It's silly to think a company is out to get you, especially when you buy into a commodity"

is it.. they are certainly out to get as much money out of u as they possibly can..

they used to give u one doubled up as the charger.. now they dont.. but they still build the mains power socket into the camera so they must assume a need..

its not just a video camera things its a digicam cam thing.. my first two lithium based still cameras had the mains power charger double up.. my second two just have the battery charger.. the mains power being a seperate purchase..

i only see two reasons for the change.. the seperate charger is cheaper and the seperate mains power is another means of extracting more money from the customer..

they are out to get u.. work on this principle and it becomes harder for them to manage it..

dont get overly paranoid over it thow.. he he..

trog

01-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's business, man. They've got to make money to survive. Therefore, I object to any suggestion that the pricing and selling of commodities in this case is done with malicious intent. The price of the Pentax proprietary adapter is right in line with what other manufacturers are charging for their proprietary.

The AC adapter is $70 bucks because that it is what people will pay for it. It is packaged seperately because not everyone needs it, and it allows the overall package price to (theoretically) be lower. Of course the "mains power socket" is still built into the camera--some people need it. A recording device of any kind wouldn't fly without the ability to hook it up to a continuous power source, even if it would be used off of batteries the vast majority of the time.

I see your "two reasons" as stated as nothing but playing a victim. You ignore development and evolution. Video cameras are juice HOGGS! It makes sense for the manufacturer to continue to include an AC adapter, because the majority of camcorder users are going to use it at some point or another. Most still camera users aren't going to use the adapter, so it is more cost effective to take it out of the package. Sure, some users are going to have to pay for this new accessory, but that is the price you pay for a commodity.

There are much better things to be paranoid about, IMHO, than a little company trying to make money and doing it fairly.
01-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"That's business, man. They've got to make money to survive. Therefore, I object to any suggestion that the pricing and selling of commodities in this case is done with malicious intent"

i think u are simply defending pentax in the sense that they aint any worse (or better) than any other business.. in that i would agree..

but without useing words like "malicious" there isnt anything benevolent about the business ethic.

its aim is to make as much money for the sharholders as possible.. consideration for the customer and the employee come a poor second to the main aim..

thats "business".. thats the way of the world.. and i aint paranoid just aware of the way things are..

trog
01-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What level are you trying to argue this on? Since you have no idea what I'm defending Pentax on, let me explain. Pentax in particular has an amazing company philosophy; they make workhorse cameras for photographers. Hyper-program and hyper-manual just freaking work, and I'd take that over some of the silliness present in other cameras. They have done nothing but consider their customers--hello, the ever persistent K-mount! They also don't abuse their entry level customers, and use them to pay for the cameras they give away to pros and just about anyone with a media pass.

Yes, they do have to answer to shareholders. Many companies do. Your premise that taking an AC adapter out of the box to cut costs (for those pesky shareholders) somehow wounds customers--note that I'm ignoring your comment about employees that doesn't apply--is patently ridiculous. Pentax has to do certain things to continue to put an honest product on the market. This AC adapter thing doesn't make them unethical, money grubbing bastards.

If you don't like it, go find a manufacturer who puts an adapter in the box.

01-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Xgear

RE: charger for my K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
I'm left scratching my head wondering why it is such a big deal that the charger for my K10D can't also be a power supply for the camera too when it is not charging a battery. My last 2 video cameras were like that, and I don't go through video cameras. Those 2 video cameras span about 10 years, so it's not like it a completely foreign concept. I guess they would prefer making us have an extra brick to carry or store at our expense and their profit.

The circuitry for a battery charger is less complicated than a power supply it is not regulated and is not fully rectified. the power output requirement is less.
The replacement power supply for my dell inspiron cost 125.00 bucks I found used for $ 50.00. This is a new camera there will be less expensive after market power supply.
01-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
Xgear

In addition, the power supply came with my laptop because you charge the battery in the computer and use 60% of time on ac power. The k10 not quite studio setup and they do not make an extension cord long enough. Extra batteries are 20 bucks so invest.
01-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

well to be honest i dont have a k10.. i just have an AA powered k100 so i dont overly care one way or the other..

i was simply attempting to extrapolate in a jockey kinda way why the mains power device comes as an expensive extra than with the camera doubled up as the charger..

but it seems "those whos name will shall not be mentioned" will always leap to the rescue and pretty much tell me to p-iss off if i dont like what pentax does and buy another camera.. he he he

trog
01-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
Xgear

It’s a technical issue. Digital cameras come with a charger not a power supply even a Hasselblad 39 Megapixel DSLR Camera at $ 31,994.95
01-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
"those whos name will shall not be mentioned"
Honestly, I wish you would 'piss off' most of the time, especially when you have so little to add to the conversation other than paranoia/victimization, poor spelling, and no sense of elliptical construction. The reason you keep getting told to pick another manufacturer is because you seem to have so little good (or at least constructive) to say about your chosen camera&brand. Post some freaking pictures or something.

You've already been told about the usage of the term 'fanboy', but since you persist in being a pimple, call a spade a spade. If I am anything, I am a fanGIRL.
01-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

i shall ignore the XXXXgirl..

"It’s a technical issue. Digital cameras come with a charger not a power supply"

not true.. my old kodak dc 4800 came with all in one charger and power supply.. my leica digilux 1 came with all in one charger and power supply..

my panasonic fz 20 came just with charger no power suppy my pentax k100 came with charger and no power supply..

the switch over seems to be after the last two years.. i prefer the older way.. but thats me..

and i really dont belong in a "pentax be good" only forum so the advice to piss off is probaby wise advice..

trog

ps.. and beth.. i would call u what u are but the word is on the banned list.. sorry..
01-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Xgear

“not true.. my old kodak dc 4800 came with all in one charger and power supply”

OLD is the key word here.

Come on I know every consumer is very familiar with the quote “ BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED ”
01-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is becoming a habit??

I don't like closing threads but again the question I think xgear has answered and I see little point in letting this go on..
Closed Thread