Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Upgrading From K-x

I hope this is the right section for this, as the new year rolls in I was thinking about buying a new DSLR. Because, I've been solely a Pentax user I'd like to stick with the system rather than jumping ship to Nikon or Canon. I've had the Kx for a few years and I like it a lot but it does have its drawbacks as no on screen AF points, 720p video, 12mp, lack of line in audio and some other minor things that come with age. I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg as I'm poor and a cheapskate so I dont plan on buying K-5 II but I'd like something better than my handy K-x. I've seen good prices on the K-01 but the lack of viewfinder turns me off as I find shooting on an LCD to be slow and unresponsive (though I dont know what it's like on the k-01). I also do a lot of concert shooting and I heard the the sensor isnt so good in low light so that worries me? I figured you guys might know what are some better options than I or perhaps upgraded from the K-x yourself and can give a good recommendation. My friends are telling me to go Canon and I don't want to so please any help you can give is appreciated.

12-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coming from a K-x, you have two obvious choices : K-30 and K-01, unless you would be prepare to consider the last units of K-5. All these dSLRs are based upon the K-5 sensor (with some tweaks) and they deliver outstanding IQ. If you do not like the K-01, go for the K-30. It has WR, has dual-dials and an optical viewfinder.

You will not get better value and IQ for the same price with Canikon

Hope that the comment may help.
12-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd say go with the k-30; it's better in just about every aspect. There's no reason to switch to Canon unless you plan on shooting lots of sports later on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far! The k-30 looks extremely nice! Is it possibly to run an external mic to this camera? If not that's quite ok, I was actually quite impressed with K-x's mic quality but using an external mic for live performances is always a plus, especially when I dont have to synch them later on lol.

12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have recently moved from a K-x to a used K-5. Very affordable upgrade. Easy to pick up a used K-5 in the market place right now and still plenty of camera to grow into. I understand the Autofocus is not as good as the K-30 or K-5 II, but it has worked well enough for me for my son`s Christmas shows this year.
12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
While doing some research I found this side by side comparison of the K-x vs K-30 not only does the K-30 take the title they also voted it best entry level DSLR overall
here's the comparison: Pentax K-30 vs K-x - Our Analysis
and here's the top 10: The best recent entry-level DSLRs
12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

I actually just moved from my K-x to a K7 o.O

But as everyone has stated, go for a K30 if you can. They are pretty well priced at the moment. Or for a used K5 if you can which would be better since it has a mic input among many other things.

12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only new feature I am missing with the K-x is focus peaking for easier handling of my fast manual focus primes, so I got myself a K-01 as a back-up body, which at the current bargain price was too hard to resist. I've found the live-view on the K-01 to be a significant improvement over the one in the K-x, so I'm not missing the OVF as much as I thought I would.

While I'm sure that the K-30 is a fine camera, it still seemed a bit too incremental to make it worth the investment. For my next major upgrade, I'm looking for more substantial improvements like an articulated screen.

Last edited by Ikarus; 12-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.
12-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K30 is a steal for what you're getting. Especially if you're buying in the UK (or EU). Far better feature set than any Canon in the price range.
12-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #10

Upgraded from a K-r to K-30 about six weeks ago... go for the K-30...
12-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
JVi

Just went from a KX to a used K5 and the difference is like night and day.
The K5 focuses so much more efficiently with a DA*55 1.4 and the DA 18-55 WR. There are so many more bells and whistles on the K5 it is amazing in comparison.

What was concerning me regarding the K30 was the reported shorter battery life and the lack of the option to use an auxiliary grip giving even more battery power in reserve for the K5.
12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I upgraded to a K-5 from a K-x but I still refuse to get rid of the K-x, that is a gem of a camera and actually takes similar IQ shots that the K-5 does, it's just that the K-5 is way easier to use, I really like the features such as WR/top LCD screen/battery grip option/all metal alloy frame/front and rear dials(to name a few)
You can pick up a nice used older K-5 in here and online for a good price, it is an awesome camera no matter what you might hear from all the folks that ditched their K-5s for K-5II/K-5IIs, I myself have a hard time discerning the difference between shots taken from either cameras(maybe because of my "old man" eyes)
If you end up getting a K-5 I highly suggest you hang onto that K-X, it is an awesome camera.
12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone and Bird Dude I totally plan on keeping my K-x! It seems to be a pretty split decision at this point but I'm so happy to hear about all the different upgrades and it seems either choice is a good one. I think if I find a good deal on a used k-5 here on the forums I'll go for that, but gonna keep my eyes out for a k-30 while waiting for a good k-5 to jump out at me.
01-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I upgraded from the K-x to the K5 and I've never looked back. I still have my K-x as a back up and it works great in that role. Biggest difference for ME is the ability to use a battery grip, top LCD, better image quality, responsiveness, two mode dials, better sensor, weather resistance, external mic port and much more. I can go on and on as it's a better camera all around but I think you get my drift. That being said the K-30 and K-01 are great cameras but I don't see such a huge improvement over the K-x to warrant the purchase. Search the used market for a K-5 but if not go for the K-30...just my opinion. YMMV
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Pentaxian

At the price of K-5s these days, I don't see how you can pass them up. We still have our K-x, it's a nice light weight second body to put a telephoto on and put into a waste holster in case we encounter wildlife. But K-5s do all our heavy lifting these days. My last one cost us $800.