Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a purely psychological point of view, once APSC loses its price advantage, people are going to buy FF dSLR's, whether they need it or not...

To be quite honest, among the people who take pictures as a hobby/family events etc, most people dont 'need' even a dSLR. Last year I took a poll of 12 families that I know relatively well. 7 of them had dSLR's but only 2 of them ever used it. The others used it initially and then have it sitting in their closets. They said its too big. They are taking pics with their phones or gone back to point and shoots. They almost never print pictures. I asked them why they bought a dSLR-because they thought that if they put it on Auto and use a kit lens that it would take better pictures. That did not happen...

12-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Do I really need to have sex?

The answer is yes, we do.

We only live once. It would be a shame to pass onto the other side without experiencing the unknown. Curiosity in itself is a good enough reason to try.
12-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple mick Quote
The days before christmas i wanted to spend a bit money to the suffering economy (my own christmas gift). So i went out to take a look to all those FF DSLRs. I rented a D800, a EOS 5(III) for a few days and tried the D600 in a shop.

I used them in that way i use my K5's (landscapes, nature, cityscapes). I printed the pics in DIN A3+, using the best settings i can on my PC.

But - there is no advantage for me in FF

The results didn't look better than the results of the K5 (i use very good Pentax and Tamron lenses), the prints in DIN A3+ didn't show an advantage of FF or more pixx. OK, there is the advantage to crop the images, but i always try to arrange my photos the best way, when i take the photos. Than there is less cropping in pp.

My result is: i really don't need FF (at the moment). I can do what i want to in the best and affordable way with my K5 (i think the same is for the K30) and i decided to spend these free dollars in a further holiday next year in Scotland (where else?) and looking for good pictures.

My opinion!

simple mick
Why don’t you get a CLAed Pentax SLR and try shooting film for a while. You can use your own Pentax lenses and get the FF experience.

That way you can see if you really need a FF DSLR and who knows you may like film enough to stick with it.
You can visit the Pentax film SLR Discussion section in the forum for more information.

Phil.
12-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

FF this is a lighthouse of digital photography.

Perhaps, FF this is a lighthouse of digital photography.
You can to swim in his direction, but can to swim anywhere else.
And while you swim will flow your photo's life.
It can be a mirror, FF and APS-C, mirror less and maybe you take picture with a mobile phone or without it.
Which company? It does not matter. This is your life. This is your firm.

12-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally at my skills level, an APS-C is sufficient for my needs. I don't see how a FF can improve my skills.....so I would say if there is a FF Pentax dslr in the horizon I will buy it, but I wouldn't go around hunting for a FF camera otherwise.
12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Seeking a FF camera is not synonymous with looking to advance a photographer's skills. It certainly doesn't help at all with that - although the experience may be enhanced in some ways, the results will be no different than with a smaller format system. The chief desire for enthusiasts though is the flexibility of having fast FF compatible lenses that can be pushed to their full potential in terms of DoF and true FoV in the 35mm format. Whatever the motivation, it would be a positive move for a company to provide a product that bridges the gap between an advanced APS-C and a professional dMF camera, particularly when it means they don't have to compete with or abandon their legacy lens mount.
12-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
Veteran Member

As someone who just switched to Pentax and probably will never own a FF camera, I think it would benefit the brand image more than anything. Pentax would then have a competitor in the entry level, prosumer, and professional markets.