Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #1

Lateral thinking on a new Pro K body

Hi,

It seems there are lots of wish lists going on about the features of a future pro-K body for Pentax. A lot of features of the point & shoot brigade also seem to turn up in the DSLR that are coming out. Live view, for example.

I notice that a lot of compacts have "face recognition" technology, and even a "smile recognition" button. (good grief)

Well, my version of this, would be for face recognition to be NOT in the taking of a photo, but in the REVIEWING of a photo.

If you are shooting pro, you should know how to use the camera without idiot features. But being able to do a quick check of faces, zoomed in, to see if anyone blinked etc. and doing it fast, would in my opinion be a useful feature that wedding and other pro photographers could use.

Pentax want to appeal to a niche market, so maybe this sort of idea would be good.
I haven't heard of any cameras that do this - do they?

It's an idea. Maybe if a good one it might turn up down the line. What do you think?

02-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the event pro, a quick, zoomed auto-review of faces would probably be a nice feature, Mr. Voigtlander! Me, I'd rather have built-in Zone System readouts and setting options linked to the spot meter for my landscape work. But, why not have both, and more?
02-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

The Fuji S5 Pro SLR (basically a Nikon D200 with a fuji sensor) already has this feature. It zooms into people's faces automatically in image review mode. I do wonder why other manufacturers haven't copied this feature. Maybe Fuji has a patent on it or something ...
02-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
Maybe Fuji has a patent on it or something ...
Sony PlayStation 3 's slideshow feature zooms into faces as well. So I doubt that there are patent issues.

02-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
For the event pro, a quick, zoomed auto-review of faces would probably be a nice feature, Mr. Voigtlander! Me, I'd rather have built-in Zone System readouts and setting options linked to the spot meter for my landscape work. But, why not have both, and more?
Yes - I've also thought that would be a great idea. If someone could integrate a quasi-live-view display over the optical display, then you could have a live indication of zones in your photograph at a glance. The other thing I'd like to see is a colour spot meter - surely much more useful than a simple monochrome one? It could display a colour swatch inside the viewfinder with a prediction of the output colour depending on the metering value and your exposure...

Even better for landscapes, how about a new pentax spotmeter which can radio the exposure settings to the camera (while it's on a tripod) and even trigger the shutter...

Finally I'd like a vertical ISO dial on the rear so that you have full control over full manual mode.

But maybe I'm obsessed with exposure...

Duncan.
09-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wassup guys you have some KILLER ideas in this thread!

BUMP 8)