Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CF cards and batteries for *ist D?

So....

I left Pentax, and bought a Minolta 7D, which was an awesome camera, and I loved the dirt cheap primes. Unfortunately the 7D has one major design flaw, in that it weighs as much as a Buick. It's heavy nature caused me to decide to not take it with me on a camping trip. As it turns out, that was the same weekend someone decided that the locked doors and windows on my apartment meant "come on in and take my stuff". Then, deciding that smaller was the order of the day, I picked up a Sony NEX 3, which I absolutely adore. I also wanted to have a DSLR, so I tried a Canon 10D (too heavy again) and an Olympus e330, which is a cool camera, but just doesn't gel with me. A few days ago, I was perusing keh.com, and I decided to check on Pentax prices. There it was, an original *ist D, just waiting for me! Now it is on it's way to me, along with a DA 35 2.4, which leads me to a couple questions.

1. What is the maximum size CF card for the *ist D with the latest firmware?

2. Is there any benefit to a faster CF card, or are write speeds limited by the camera?

3. On my k100ds and my Kx I used Eneloops. Is that the best choice for the *ist D?

4. With rechargeables, what sort of battery life should I expect?

I know the *ist D is an old dog, but I have wanted one for a long time, and I look forward to using it. I really enjoyed the IQ of my k100ds when I had it, and I figure that working from raw files it should be pretty similar. Hopefully there are a few *ist D owners around still who can answer my minor-yet-important questions. All hail the O.G. D!

12-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. I believe it's 4Gb, if not then 2
2. Not really, as its burst mode isn't that fast
3. Yup

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well then I had better stock up on 4gb cards while they are still available! Thanks Adam!
12-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I really can't answer 4. very well but I find my *istD isn't as sensitive to battery voltage as my K100D. When the K100D turns off due to low voltage, the batteries will still run the *istD. I also use Eneloops.

Re CF card size, I bought a stack of 1GB cards relatively cheaply a few years back and have never bothered to upgrade capacity.

12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My *istD is a great little dslr, still love the bugger, I was using Energizer 2500mAh rechargables, in a battery grip, could get 400 pics or so, but, if I wasn't using it often I found they lost charge just sitting in the carmera for a week or so, I mostly just started using Energizer Litium batteries, well over a 1000 pics from the camera, and I could not use the camera sometimes for week apart at a time and battery power was still great.

As for CF cards, I was using a 2gig and 1gig, plus back up 512 and 256 cards. I have bought a 4 gig, and the camera did work with it, dont pay attention to the counter with the larger cards, as the counter cant read as high as the larger cards can take, so it seems like ages before it starts to drop down, I thought photos were not saving to the card but they were, it was just that there was still more than 999 pics left in the card..

Frame rate and saving is slow.... esp if you have had something quicker, I tended to think of it like my old K1000, just a solid little camera, very reliable, enjoy.
12-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #6

Quicker/better cards do make a marginal difference but the IstD will only go so fast, My stepdaughter has mine. The most missed bit of the IstD is the view status display being on the side as opposed to under the view.

Hybrid/enlope batteries are the biggest upgrade you can give it, they last far longer (2100mh) than equivalent or larger NiMl.

Alan
12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
1. I believe it's 4Gb, if not then 2
2. Not really, as its burst mode isn't that fast
3. Yup
I use 8 GB cards in my *istD,

12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your questions have pretty much been answered - myself, I use Eneloops & 4gb cards. My *istD isn't my primary camera anymore, but I love the heck out of it. Mine is pretty much relegated to M-lens duty, which it handles beautifully!
12-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Your questions have pretty much been answered - myself, I use Eneloops & 4gb cards. My *istD isn't my primary camera anymore, but I love the heck out of it. Mine is pretty much relegated to M-lens duty, which it handles beautifully!
So the D is decent at metering with M lenses? My k10d was horrible at it.
12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
So the D is decent at metering with M lenses? My k10d was horrible at it.
It is extremely accurate, in fact the *istD series were some of the best Pentax models for using stop-down metering, from what I've learned. The K10 and K20 are supposed to be the worst.
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is extremely accurate, in fact the *istD series were some of the best Pentax models for using stop-down metering, from what I've learned. The K10 and K20 are supposed to be the worst.
That is very good to hear. The K10d was so bad that I considered it useless. I didn't have much more luck with the k100ds, but it was somewhat better.
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
That is very good to hear. The K10d was so bad that I considered it useless. I didn't have much more luck with the k100ds, but it was somewhat better.
I don't have the links handy, but Lowell Goudge has posted some documentation & charts on these models some time ago. The chart clearly showed the K10D's green button metering inconsistencies. Might be worth a search. FWIW, I've had pretty good luck with m-lenses on my K100D.
12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks paulh! Thanks everyone!
12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It is extremely accurate, in fact the *istD series were some of the best Pentax models for using stop-down metering, from what I've learned.
That is good news. I swapped my K100D to my daughter to get the *istD back from her. I planned to use the D with my M42 and K manual lenses (plus with my AF400FTZ TTL flash from my SFX film days).
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #15

Some responses you have received seem to be a little inaccurate, or limited only by people's personal experience.

I have used 4Gb and 8Gb CF cards in my *ist D, and have two 16Gb CF microdrives that work just fine.
I use SanDisk Extreme III cards, as they are around 10 times faster than other brands of card I have used; the *ist D may have a read speed limit, but it is greatly affected by card type and speed.
I use NiMh rechargeables, and although I generally recharge them after each day out, I used a set for a trip to Paris a couple of years back and got 3700 photos from one set of batteries (because my charger packed up upon arrival), albeit by the end I was taking them out and putting them in my pocket for a few minutes to warm them up as it was really cold.
My NiMh rechargeables are 2900mAh, and I haven't found any cells that are less than 2750mAh to work reliably with the *ist D; they work for about 20 shots and then just flash the low battery icon in the panel.
Finally - the *ist D an "old dog". Don't agree with you at all on that. I have two of them, and they are excellent cameras for the money you have to pay for them now.