Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Missed opportunities with the K-5 II

The K-5 II:s are out, with improvements to the AF that should get due appreciation. But I think it's a shame Pentax didn't use the opportunity to make a number of other improvements, no great advancements in technology needed, that would set it apart from the previous models.

1. The LV-button could have been moved a little away from the four-way controller and the AF point selector.

2. The AF point selector could have been made less stiff which would make it's swift use easier. With gloves on you now invariably press the LV-button too.

3. You could rethink the positions of the AF point selector. Why do you need a position for the center point when it's just as easy to set by pressing the OK button? Use that position for something new - or get rid of it, which would improve the interface.

4. The expanded focus point selection now available in AF-C could be made available in AF-S too, and there it would mean activating groups of points. This, again, would make the option of the "center five points" array redundant. Expanded focus point selection could take it's place in the Control Panel.

5. The modules in the third row of the Control Panel could be replaced by directly shooting-related settings like the different focusing modes for live view, rather than the filter effects that occupy it now. Why not make some or even all of the modules in the Control Panel user-selectable?

6. The switch for AF-S, AF-C and MF should be moved to the back and/or made more easily turned. See how it's done on the 645D.

7. When the AF-button is set to deactivate focus, it should make MF possible immediately with all lenses, clutch or no clutch.

8. The most simple thing of all: Give the new model some new feature in the exterior that immediately sets it off from the older models. A new color, a colored line, area or letter. It's practical, and it gives the proud owner a chance to show off.

I hope some of this finds it's way into K-5 III

12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
The K-5 II:s are out, with improvements to the AF that should get due appreciation. But I think it's a shame Pentax didn't use the opportunity to make a number of other improvements, no great advancements in technology needed, that would set it apart from the previous models.

1. The LV-button could have been moved a little away from the four-way controller and the AF point selector.

2. The AF point selector could have been made less stiff which would make it's swift use easier. With gloves on you now invariably press the LV-button too.

3. You could rethink the positions of the AF point selector. Why do you need a position for the center point when it's just as easy to set by pressing the OK button? Use that position for something new - or get rid of it, which would improve the interface.

4. The expanded focus point selection now available in AF-C could be made available in AF-S too, and there it would mean activating groups of points. This, again, would make the option of the "center five points" array redundant. Expanded focus point selection could take it's place in the Control Panel.

5. The modules in the third row of the Control Panel could be replaced by directly shooting-related settings like the different focusing modes for live view, rather than the filter effects that occupy it now. Why not make some or even all of the modules in the Control Panel user-selectable?

6. The switch for AF-S, AF-C and MF should be moved to the back and/or made more easily turned. See how it's done on the 645D.

7. When the AF-button is set to deactivate focus, it should make MF possible immediately with all lenses, clutch or no clutch.

8. The most simple thing of all: Give the new model some new feature in the exterior that immediately sets it off from the older models. A new color, a colored line, area or letter. It's practical, and it gives the proud owner a chance to show off.

While I don't necessarily thing that big changes to the button layout are needed, I certainly agree with #8. What Pentax needs the most, IMO, is faster in-camera processing. They should get rid of the stupid hourglass and just display the photo when you press the play button rather than wait for it to be fully written to the card

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have only had my K-5 for a couple of months so far but none of those areas particularly worry me personally. But then I came from the K-x and all the new features the K-5 added are still wonderful in my eyes.

HOWEVER as much as I love the K-5 - there is one thing that does really bug me, and thats the position of the green button. I use the green button a lot (particularly with manual lenses) and now with the k-5 I often have to move the camera away from my eye to push it. This is not helped by me being left eyed but could have lived with it being swapped with anything but +/- button.
12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
JVi

I now use my left eye having given up on my right a while back and also have just switched to the K5 from a KX. One of the first things I looked for was the green button when I used one of my manual lenses. I actually like it better being on the back and not on top (and I can scratch my nose with my right thumb at the same time!).

12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
I now use my left eye having given up on my right a while back and also have just switched to the K5 from a KX. One of the first things I looked for was the green button when I used one of my manual lenses. I actually like it better being on the back and not on top (and I can scratch my nose with my right thumb at the same time!).
Just goes to show how the user experience varies from person to person. May be I will get used to it eventually but I have already scratched by face once trying to press it with the camera to my eye. Thinking about trying a different eye piece (maybe magnifier).
12-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
JVi

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Just goes to show how the user experience varies from person to person. May be I will get used to it eventually but I have already scratched by face once trying to press it with the camera to my eye. Thinking about trying a different eye piece (maybe magnifier).
Speaking of magnifiers, I forgot to mention that I use the KPS UMC vareity (I took it off my KX and put it on the K5) and it works great. Likely it helps me from gouging my face with my thumb.
12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Pentax should have Ever Brought any Improvements / Features , it should be a Closeable Hatch for the OVF . like the Nikon D800 . it is really is a handy addition for doing Long Exposures.

12-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote

K5II is pretty much the same camera as K5 w/ only an improved AF module and a bit change on the rear LCD. I bet Pentax used whatever made for K5 in their production lines to make K5II/K5IIs, including the molds for the camera bodies, buttons, the main PCB board and etc.That's why they can push out K5II and K5IIs in very short time w/o much effort or investment.

We'll see a much improved camera in the next version which would combine what they already developed in K5II (better low light AF) and K30 (faster image processing, full HD video, better live view, focus peaking and etc.). I'm sure they are working on some tilt-able LCD as well so we might have that in our next camera. And I'm guessing it's still an APSC camera before they announce a FF one eventually. And even when FF does come out for Pentax, they'd still continue the improvement on new APSC cameras (which have much bigger market share than FF ones).
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The design for left eye guys are not fair, oily nose on LCD.
12-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
Of course we all want better in-camera processing, ever better AF and all that. My point is that there are things that could undoubtedly be /have been improved at almost no cost and with no technological challenge involved. Instead Pentax chose to be very very conservative and just leave almost everything as it is. Not a good way to nudge people into upgrading.
12-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

To upgrade the processing engine is a major undertaking. I suspect, without any knowledge, that Ricoh-Pentax is in the process of rewriting their camera software to allow for more flexibility and extensibility. It seems that they can crank out hardware pretty quickly, but software takes time.

I agree with Adam. Faster processing would have made this one a worthy upgrade.