Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

back up camera

I currently am shooting with a k-r and am in search of a back up camera to have on hand. I have been considering the istD. I'm very undecided. If anyone has any input on the istD or a good back up please let me know.

12-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miranda211 Quote
I currently am shooting with a k-r and am in search of a back up camera to have on hand. I have been considering the istD. I'm very undecided. If anyone has any input on the istD or a good back up please let me know.
I think than an ist D would feel quite dated compared to your K-r. Take a look at the K-x instead- it'll feel much more responsive, plus it's similar to your K-r!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There's always the K-01 to consider...
It is newer than your K-r and at $316, it seems like the best bang for your buck out there.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXK01.html
12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-x is going to be more familiar in use and switching between the two will be less confusing than using a K-01. The price on the K-01 is certainly attractive though.

12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Try the K-01. Its smaller than the K-r, comes with a great 40 (if you buy the bundle) and just might replace your K-r
Or maybe a Q if you want even smaller? Can get an adapter to use K-mount lenses. It would help if you tell us your budget and needs
12-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

K-01 for the latest tech and absurdly good value, or a K200d for weather seals - those would be my choices.
12-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Personally, forget the "back-up" concept and go with dual body shooting. Back-up bodies are usually film or a generation or two back from your current camera. Taking a "back-up" on location or travel means you are taking another camera around that you will only use in case something goes wrong. Why take the extra body if you're not going to use it?

It makes more sense to have two identical bodies, with the same settings. Instead of having a back-up, you have redundancy.

Not to mention having two bodies is great for having different lenses on the "same body" to go at a moment's notice.

I don't do back-up bodies anymore. I LOVE shooting dual bodies. It makes more sense.
12-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I don't do back-up bodies anymore. I LOVE shooting dual bodies. It makes more sense.
That sounds sexy as hell

But you can get a new K-01 for almost the same price as a used K-r (if you can find a deal in your area, that is) and it has newer tech. Just sayin

12-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The *istD is , or perhaps correctly was, a great camera, and I still use mine. Although by K5standards the sensor is out of date, and the processing speed is at best , again by K5 standards, pathetically slow, it does some special things that no other current camera does
-TTL and P-TTL flash
-off camera HSS using the built in flash as a flash master( no need for a second flash on camera as a master)
-excellent metering with legacy lenses
-EV comp in manual sp you can dial in lens corrections even in manual metering

On the down side is the cF flash card, as opposed to SD, but I use now a CF to SD card adaptor and SD cards
12-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That sounds sexy as hell

But you can get a new K-01 for almost the same price as a used K-r (if you can find a deal in your area, that is) and it has newer tech. Just sayin
I like the *istD becaus it can do different things , not as much a back up but an alternate
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That sounds sexy as hell

It just makes things easier. Granted, I use two K5s with grips, but any camera with dual bodies is the shizzle. I have one camera in my Think Tank Digital Holster, and the other in the back-pack. When I need two cameras at the same time, it's so easy!

I also put one camera setup for video, and the other ready to go stills.

Having dual bodies has distinct advantages.

1) Multiple batteries of the same type
2) Less lens changes, less chance of dust etc.
3) Video and Stills - with identical IQ.
4) Redundancy instead of backup
5) Muscle memory is the same for both cameras
6) A single charger or a dual charger for the batteries
7) Same grips

I don't think I will ever go back to having a "back-up".
12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I'm undecided whether to have my K-7 green line problem repaired or to live with it and buy a K-5 as main camera, and fit the K-7 with a lens - dual bodies if you like. I'm not sure about carrying all that weight, though.

I have an *istD as backup. The *istD does feel dated compared with the K-7 but my intent was to use it with old M lenses and my AF400FTZ TTL flash.

My K100D is on permanent loan to my daughter.
12-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Search KEH for KX @ 316.00 LN or 299.00 EX condition..........Very similar platforms... Cliff