Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Are there counterfeit cameras?

I was just curious, I found the serial number card for my old lens (which was stolen along with my camera) and it has printed on it "Made in Jappan" ... I didn't think a genuine product would have such an obvious typo? Anyway, the camera and lens is long gone now, and it got replaced with my insurance thankfully, but I was just curious as there is no typo on my replacement.

PS. Hope this thread is in the right spot!

12-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That typo could happen pretty easily - Japan isn't called Japan in Japan!
12-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Sarah. What lens was it? Was it a product card printed and translated to English in another country?
I wouldn't imagine the typo indicating that the product is a fake.
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
I just went and looked again, it actually says "Printed in Jappan" .. I didn't even think that Japan wasn't called Japan in Japan.. lol ..

Like I said, I was just curious. Lens is gone now anyway

Attached Images

12-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
I guess I was just thinking along the lines of when you buy counterfeit clothing and there is a typo on the label.. I am purchasing another camera online soon and just wanted to double check there was no chance of a counterfeit. Just being overly paranoid I guess lol
12-27-2012, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #6

I had the box for the 18-55WR sitting on my desk, so I checked, and sure enough, "Printed in Jappan"

Pete
12-27-2012, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Well if it makes you feel any better someone bought a bunch of shirts in China once that said 'Tommy Hilfinger" on the front....

12-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I've had something that was "Made in Taiwen" before, though it wasn't anything expensive.

It isn't in their native language, so I can cut them some slack. I'd have no idea what the USA would look like written in Japanese, I could use Google's translator, but I'd have no idea if it was right.
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are lenses with focal length and aperture mixed up and other really bad mistakes, Samsung doesn't even know the specs of their own NX cameras, so I guess that a warranty card with Jappan is pretty mild.
12-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it well-made and does it look like a FA 50/1.4? Does it take good pictures? If so, it is highly unlikely that it is a fake.

...not that camera lens fakes are unknown. It is just that usually, the fake involves some sort of social hack...misspelled names and such. The big exception would be the numerous fake Leica and Contax that are common on eBay (modified Russian and Ukrainian cameras that are physically very similar to their German cousins).

Steve
12-28-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This might be interesting..

The 'Jappan' discussion somewhere else..
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/counterfeit-pentax---canon-lenses-21137/p-0

2010 News:
COUNTERFEIT ‘PENTAX’ LENSES AMONG GEAR SEIZED IN RAID
Counterfeit
12-28-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I checked a couple of warranty cards and this is the result.

Printed in Jappan:
DA*300/4
FA 50/1.4

Printed in Japan:
DA 40/2.8

Printed in Philippines:
DBG4

Printed in....nowhere:
DA 18-55 WR
Pentax Q
Q 8.5/1.9
12-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised about this typo... just check engrish.com
12-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only "counterfeit" Pentax I've seen were real Pentax, but done as faked "special editions." On the other hand there are a lot of fake Leica's made in Russia by re-engraving old Fed and Zorki copes of the Leica III models. Most of these are fake German military models. The quality control is...lacking. There are also a number of "fake" Zeiss Sonnar lenses and Contax cameras, also made in Russia. These are a bit harder to classify, as the Russians captured the Zeiss Contax factory and moved it to Russia (branded "Kiev"), and part of Zeiss remained in East Germany as a separate company, so some may have been made with "real" parts. There are a number where the front lens bezel has been changed to look like a Zeiss Sonnar to increase resale prices to collectors. Russian companies also made M42 mount cameras and lenses, so Pentax users might find some of these marked Zeiss.
Unless you are a collector, the value of a camera to you should be its usefulness as a camera or lens; so if it works properly... who cares?
12-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #15

Original Poster
Like I said, I was just curious. No other reason, I'm just a curious person. I loved the lens, it worked great, but it was stolen so I haven't had it for 6 months.