Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrbdm99 Quote
Right, that is with the instant discount. I was using the Amazon price, actually, I think he had it at 699 instead. If I was seriously looking at the Sony line, I'd go with the A65 as it can be had for the same price as a (body only) K-5. The OLED EVF is supposed to be quite interesting.

I only shoot in raw. I've never seen the advantage to shooting out of raw.
If you are doing high-speed shots for sports then setting your JPG to a specific combination of adjustments ends up being considerably faster. When I'm out and about I do RAW+JPG which makes sharing photos immediately easier and gives me the post-processing options at the same time.

12-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If you are doing high-speed shots for sports then setting your JPG to a specific combination of adjustments ends up being considerably faster. When I'm out and about I do RAW+JPG which makes sharing photos immediately easier and gives me the post-processing options at the same time.
Gotcha, didn't think about that. I haven't shot sports since high school and that was with my K1000. Prefocused area, wide open, ilford delta loaded and ready to go. Fun days!
12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Video is at the bottom of the list of features I care about. I'd be happy if they just left them off. I use a dedicated camcorder for that. I suppose if I ever felt like being creative, then it would be something I'd want, but I hardly have time to post process photos these days.

You make an interesting point about the way the bodies feel. The DS is great in my hands. I have played around with some friends Nikon's and Canon's, but they really never felt nearly as good in my hands as the DS.

I missed the store last night, but I'm going to check them out today. Try some samples. I am going to bet that 1) They don't have a K-01 in stock 2) If they have a K-30, it will be priced around 900 body only and 3) The only K-5 will be the II
I have a dedicated video camera for video, but don't use it anymore. Replaced it with a Canon SX130. Better, bigger sensor, better lens, better video quality, more convenient. Since I have the K-5 I mostly use the K-5 for video though, it is more fun and the video looks better (though the AF of the Canon works great, just like in a video camera, and manually focusing with the 18-55 is nearly impossible (50 1.8 and 70-200 4.5-5.6 are no problem... the shallower the DoF, the easier it is to focus using the screen)). For occasional video the K-5 is perfect. Great quality, and you won't run into overheating issues.

Maybe the reason why the K-30 didn't feel so good was that it was the navy blue version. The painted ones feel cheaper to me. But also button placement/lack of buttons and most of all the lack of a display on top are an issue. Of course for what it is it is as good as it gets. But if you are used to driving Mercedes, even an older one, a Polo, as good as it is, will feel like a downgrade.

Sony are surprisingly decent, I actually enjoyed shooting with an alpha 270 or something like that (really cheap entry level body). However the 18-55 kit lens was utterly useless. Distorts quite a bit at 18mm (and there are no profiles for Lightroom), and there are no markings at all on the damn thing. How to know to what distance you have focused? I'm sorry, but if they are too cheap for a bit of paint...

I also don't see advantages to not shooting RAW. Only advantage is file size on the memory card. Once imported Lightroom converts it to DNG, which drops the file size from 30 to 20 MB. If the photos are not so important/there's not so much editing to be done on them I can set it to lossy DNG, which gets the file to 5-10 MB. That's good enough for me. With the K-5 I can also get like 20-25 burst shots in RAW, which is good enough for me. I never ran into the limit of the buffer so far.

For trying out it doesn't matter if it is the K-7, K-5 or K-5 II Bodywise they are identical. Did you get to try it? How was it?
12-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Without a doubt, the K-5 feels perfect. It is a wonderful piece of camera technology that just fits.

One way or another, I'm going to have this all figured out tomorrow. The K-01 for 316 with the pancake 40 is just such an amazing price. If I shot anything more than for hobby, there would be no doubt that I'd grab a K-5, but the closest thing I get to pro anything is snagging Christmas card photos each year for a few folks.

12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Without a doubt, the K-5 feels perfect. It is a wonderful piece of camera technology that just fits.

One way or another, I'm going to have this all figured out tomorrow. The K-01 for 316 with the pancake 40 is just such an amazing price. If I shot anything more than for hobby, there would be no doubt that I'd grab a K-5, but the closest thing I get to pro anything is snagging Christmas card photos each year for a few folks.
I beg to disagree. Especially as a hobbyist the fun in taking a photo is important (at least I think so). I'd rather shoot with a camera that is fun to use but gives not so good results than one with perfect results but that is dreadful to use. Of course the K-30 isn't dreadful. The 01 looks like a second body to me. Haven't tried one of course, maybe I should have...