Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Simplified pros & cons K-5II vs K-5IIs ?

Iíve read here and elsewhere about the K-5II vs K-5IIs. Itís confusing!

I want to upgrade from the K-7 because of the better high ISO performance, low noise, better dynamic range and better auto focusing (Iíve found the DXO Labs site helpful here DxOMark - Pentax ).

I shoot landscape, macro, events and family portraits. I keep post processing to a minimum (Iím still getting a handle on it), donít envisage enlarging beyond 16 x 24. I'm looking to put myself out there more in a professional way Ė especially family portraits and trying to sell my own landscape and macro prints /images in the near future.

Lenses used: FA 50 1.4, FA 100 Macro, Tamron 28 Ė 70 2.8, Sigma 70 Ė 200 2.8, Tamron 17 - 35 2.8-4.

Does anyone have some simplified thoughts on real world pros and cons on which body to choose?

12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5IIs Pros:
-Slightly sharper
-Slightly better for post processing
-Slightly less noise/less sharpness lost due to noise reduction

K-5IIs Cons:
-Can generate moire on subjects with fine repeating patterns - where the fine patterns are approximately the size of a pixel. Subjects most likely to generate moire are clothing and distant buildings.
12-29-2012, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
However, moire can be easily fixed in a current PP software. But you cannot get back the original RAW data if it's not there from AA bodies. For 16x24 prints, 5IIs should be a better choice.
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
Why better for post processing?
Is there much involved in removing moire? I have Aperture 3 but haven't explored past the basic adjustments yet.

12-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

I'm using the "s" and haven't seen moire yet. So the con is the hundred bucks.
Then there is a pro for the plain II: In most practical situations it's sensor will be just as good since it seems the original K-5 is actually just as good.
Both the "s" and the "plain" have the same improvements to focusing, which is the most noticable enhancment.
12-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know why non K-5IIs users like to keep saying about moire when in practice it hasn't been a problem for K-5IIs to date. Even if it did show up, it is easily corrected in Lightroom 4. I've put in a few thousand frames thru my K-5IIs so far and I have to say that moire has never been an issue. The increased sharpness from the K-5IIs sensor is noticeable straight out from the camera and actually makes post processing easier and quicker. I've found exposure to be a bit more accurate with the K-5IIs. Combined with the better AF on the the new II and IIs compared makes it just a lot better the discontinued K-5.
12-31-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Kameraten and Creampuff, what sort of shooting with your IIs's have you done? What variety subjects, lighting, light levels and ISO's?