Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #1

Is this a film on something?

Lately I have noticed that many of my pictures look like there is a film on them. It doesn't matter what I take a picture of, or pretty much what mode I have the *ist DL set on. I will include a couple of pics I took at the zoo yesterday. The first is as shot, and the second is after running Photoshop's auto level adjustment. Pretty clear day outside.
It doesn't matter what lens I use I get pretty much the same thing.

I have tried lens cleaning solution on the sensor, mirror, and lens with no change. Am I imagining things, doing something different (camera settings wrong), or should I look for a problem somewhere? BTW, have used different SD cards with no difference. These were shot in a hurry because my batteries were about dead, but that doesn't usually make a difference either.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by lost; 03-15-2008 at 11:47 AM.
02-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you saying that, with the same settings, the camera used to take pictures differently in the past than it does now?

Your first picture is underexposed and lacks contrast, which PS fixed for you. Are you shooting JPEG? If so, try increasing the contrast setting and see what you get.
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

it seems your pictures are being underexposed

are you using flash?

dial in + 0.3 or +0.7 EV, see if things change.
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Are you saying that, with the same settings, the camera used to take pictures differently in the past than it does now?
Yes, or at least that's the way it seems to me. Before, I didn't have to tweak the pics as much (if at all). I will play around with both of your suggestions and see what I can get.

Thanks!

Edit to add, that was with no flash, and if I remember right, dialed to about 300mm with ISO of 400. f6.7

02-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, I'm wondering if the white balance might be off. The picture seem to have a bluish cast to it.
02-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
It's possible, but I did have it set to auto and didn't try adjusting anything. I really hope it's just my inexperience showing and not anything else (I'm sure it probably is).
02-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
Lately I have noticed that many of my pictures look like there is a film on them. It doesn't matter what I take a picture of, or pretty much what mode I have the *ist DL set on. I will include a couple of pics I took at the zoo yesterday. The first is as shot, and the second is after running Photoshop's auto level adjustment. Pretty clear day outside.
It doesn't matter what lens I use I get pretty much the same thing.

I have tried lens cleaning solution on the sensor, mirror, and lens with no change. Am I imagining things, doing something different (camera settings wrong), or should I look for a problem somewhere? BTW, have used different SD cards with no difference. These were shot in a hurry because my batteries were about dead, but that doesn't usually make a difference either.

Thanks for any help!
Youo might wish to look at the EXIF data to see if anything has changed in your camera settings since you started noticing the change. this may be useful

also, you say you use lens cleaning fluid on the sensor.

exactly what are you using? Do yo know if it dries without a film?

02-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
I will check out the exif data, good idea. As far as the cleaning solution, it is some Vivatar stuff, but I just used it for the first time today (didn't "see" any film after using, but I will look into it more). The pics have been looking like this for a little while now. I did not notice any difference whatsoever after the cleaning.