Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
One of the reasons I got the k-30 after a lot of research and deliberation, was that it had enough features for me to grow into. The k-5 II is closer on the spectrum to being a professional camera, but I have learned to accept that there will always be a more expensive camera than the one I end up buying . I am not a highly paid professional photographer, and this is already an expensive hobby for me. I don't mind investing in good equipment, but I have learned that today's $1,300 camera will be next years $800 camera and a $500 camera in two years.

I hope to learn a lot about lenses, especially vintage manual ones with my k-30.

Last edited by lgt525; 01-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The K-5 excels in video and controls. The K-30 is faster (processing, menu, image viewing). To me both video and the better controls/handling and haptics were worth it. That's not saying the K-30 feels cheap and is hard to use, but the K-5 has a button and switch for everything.

Also the K-5 wasn't much more than the K-30 for me.

Try to hold both in your hands, try using them. I wasn't sure which one to get. Until I tried them, then I was absolutely certain it was going to be the K-5.
01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I was in the same boat for about 7-8 months after I decided to go with Pentax. Ultimately, I went with the K-5II, with 18-135WR kit. With the deal being offered on Black Friday, and the kit being offered with the K-5II, but not the K-5, the actual price difference between to two ended up being much smaller that it would first appear. As for why I picked the K-5II over the K-30, that was very hard because i had only held each in my hand once or twice. Having read every review and user comment I could find, I went with the K-5II because I felt I could grow into it more fully as my skills developed. And I have to agree with the earlier poster...so many times when I have opted for the cheaper route solely based on price (as opposed to a higher end model having features i don't want or need, or a cheaper one not having features I considered essential), I have ended having to spend more money later to "correct" the earlier bad purchase. Just food for thought.

Also, as for glass, while I appreciate the argument that says better glass will go farther, I counter that by pointing out that there is a ton of quality glass out there that you can get for dirt cheap, if you don't mind used, or manual focus, etc. And with my nicer camera body now, I can still save up over time for nicer lenses...no need to get all your glass at once.

Last edited by toukan; 01-02-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: add content
01-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #19

Original Poster
Wow, nicely supported responses from everyone.
Thankyou all for your time to input comments and suggestions.

My lens line-up isnt what I'll purchase straight away, but rather, what I hope to accumulate over time.
For whichever body I buy, I'll be bundling it with the 18-135 kit lens.

As for the ergonomic feel, I haven't found any local stores near me which stock ANY Pentax DSLRs. (Sad, I know...)
So, I'll be buying online, and hopefully the grip fit's my hand =D (Not that I'm really worried anyway. Every post I've read talks about how good the Pentax cameras feel)

So currently, I've narrowed it down to the K-5 or K-30, with more preference to the K-5 for it's quieter shutter, the AF Assist Lamp that can be turned off, the top LCD, and the 5 AE Bracketing. The K-30, I feel has a better low light AF and is faster due to the newer processor, but other than that, has no great improvement over the K-5.

I think I'll be getting the K-5, and allow myself more room to grow into DSLRs, and then hopefully jump on Pentax's FF in a few years! =D
I won't be making an order for maybe a week, so if there are reasons which I should reconsider or reasons which may see another camera more fit for me, then do comment.
I'll be hoping to hang onto the camera for the next 3-5 years, so it'll be a long term investment, which is also I think another reason to choose the K-5 over the K-30, as it has more features for me to learn and use.

Thanks again everyone!

01-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote

So currently, I've narrowed it down to the K-5 or K-30, with more preference to the K-5 for it's quieter shutter, the AF Assist Lamp that can be turned off, the top LCD, and the 5 AE Bracketing. The K-30, I feel has a better low light AF and is faster due to the newer processor, but other than that, has no great improvement over the K-5.
This is the dilemma that I find myself in, better AF, and PRIME II for less money or 5 AE bracketing and a camera I have lusted after for the last 12 months for a bit more.

It is a tough choice that I don't really know the answer to yet, I suspect it will come down to mood on the day of purchase,
01-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing that I understood from this theme, it what not all fans of Pentax live near shop B&H.
Therefore they can't touch the camera before purchase as it is done by me, living in New York.
OK. From here it is difficult to explain to them that it is better to buy a horse-radish or pepper.
Pepper of release of 2010 or horse-radish of 2012. Nevertheless before using they should be tried... And shop far, but PentaxForum close. Therefore the risk of a choice remains for you.

By the way in the Japanese market of cameras DSLR for some last months K-30 of 2%, and K-5 of 1,8% (13 and the 14th place respectively) is sold. Probably too not all live about shop B&H, as me.
01-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. A.S. Quote
The only thing that I understood from this theme, it what not all fans of Pentax live near shop B&H.
Therefore they can't touch the camera before purchase as it is done by me, living in New York.
OK. From here it is difficult to explain to them that it is better to buy a horse-radish or pepper.
Pepper of release of 2010 or horse-radish of 2012. Nevertheless before using they should be tried... And shop far, but PentaxForum close. Therefore the risk of a choice remains for you.

By the way in the Japanese market of cameras DSLR for some last months K-30 of 2%, and K-5 of 1,8% (13 and the 14th place respectively) is sold. Probably too not all live about shop B&H, as me.
I'm sorry, could you rephrase that? That was a bit difficult for me to decipher...

01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
I'm sorry, could you rephrase that?
All of us risk, buying an unknown product...

Pentax K-30 + Carl Zeiss 18mm/3.5
01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Even if you don't live near b and h or a similar shop, most good shops have a return policy so you aren't "up a creek" if the camera doesn't feel good in the hand.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That's the classic rub! Tripod technology does really change - worth it to buy a good one the first time.