Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

What Pentax DSLR should I get next?

Hey Guys,

I've had my Pentax K-R for about 2 years now (since Jan 2011) and want to upgrade this year. I'm finding that I've reached the limits of my K-R - want to go down to ISO 100, better exposure bracketing range for HDRs, more megapixels etc etc.

A mate of mine has just bought a Nikon D600 full frame and whilst I would love a full frame, I don't know if I want to wait to see if Pentax ever make one. The logical choice it seems it to go with a K-5 II or a K-5, other than the removal of the AA filter what else has improved in the K-5 II and is it worth the money or would a used/new K-5 suffice?

I'm planning on selling my K-R with the kit lens as I already have a Tamron 17-50 which I will use on the K-5, I'm hoping to get between £250/£300 for my used K-R, does this sound reasonable?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Alex

01-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've never had much luck with used dslr's regardless of where I purchase them from.

It seems that most have major dirty sensor issues - meaning that it get's so bad that it would need to be most likely sent back to the factory for possible cleaning - or worse - replacement.
01-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I think the main difference between the K5 classic and the K5II is the low light focus, with the K5II being able to focus in super dark conditions that you can forget on the K5. Of course I would go with the K5IIs if I were goign with one of the new ones, other than that I am REALLY happy with my K5, and right now the savings on teh K5 classic might be enough to get a used 18-135 WR for those rainy days!
01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about waiting a week and/or a month for PMA and CP+?
Your price estimate seems OK, lens choice too but I'd buy a K-5II to be frank, at least for the AF (which would work better with your 2.8lens).

01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Alex,
get K-30, fast, light and can use AA batteries.
I have sold my K-x, K-7 and now thinking about selling K-5 as I never use it since I purchased K-30.
kind regards
jack
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with Giklab, wait a month before you do anything. Pentax will likely announce a new body or two in January. Of the bodies available now, I would recommend the K-5 II or K-30. The K-30 does absolutely everything better than the K-r and adds focus peaking, which is a nice feature. The K-5 II has better AF than the K-5 in low light, in coloured light and with fast lenses.

You seem to be a little foggy on the K-5 II vs IIs. The II has an AA filter, the IIs does not. I expect my next body will be filterless and 24mp, but that is not a feature that everyone should want.

Note that your K-r does go to ISO 100 if you enable Expanded Sensitivity in the Custom menu.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.
01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys in that case I'll wait and see what Pentax unveil at PMA and CP then. I did think about the K-30 too but I can't help but think that's just a newer KR, I'm really after a pro DSLR now i.e. K-5 II.

Yes I was wrong about the K-5 II not having the AA filter. I realise that my K-R does go to ISO 100 but to achieve this low ISO the camera does some processing right so it's not native?

I've just been reading this post - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/207515...i-vs-d600.html as I'm very interested to see how the photos from a D600 compare to something like the K-5 II. I'm super jealous of my friend being able to get a D600 - don't think i'll be able to afford a full frame for a while. Having said that the pictures don't actually seem that different.

Cheers

Alex

01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I think the main difference between the K5 classic and the K5II is the low light focus, with the K5II being able to focus in super dark conditions that you can forget on the K5. Of course I would go with the K5IIs if I were goign with one of the new ones, other than that I am REALLY happy with my K5, and right now the savings on teh K5 classic might be enough to get a used 18-135 WR for those rainy days!
I would agree .. I like my K-5 and the price point is a steal if you can live without the newer AF ... buy better glass with the cost difference savings ... J
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Having said that the pictures don't actually seem that different.
Bingo. "The mythical Full Frame" doesn't have much advantage below ISO 1600 really.
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

I have both the K5 and K30. I don't know what you are expecting the K30 not to be able to do that the K5 does better. They are on par in my opinion and i shoot everything. I also get paid for it.

If it can handle the work i put it through, then i don't know what more you could want.
01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I realise that my K-R does go to ISO 100 but to achieve this low ISO the camera does some processing right so it's not native?
I'm not aware of any practical compromise with the ISO 100 setting. The main thing is, it gets you the lower shutter speed. I believe GordonBGood measured native ISO as 125.
01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Bingo. "The mythical Full Frame" doesn't have much advantage below ISO 1600 really.
It has a stop better SNR if you want less DOF.

It has ~1.5x better resolution, if you care about that.
01-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys - @sbroadbentphoto in that case I'll consider the K30 as an option too, I suppose the weather sealed body is a bit of a bonus.

@audiobomber - thanks for that, I didn't know native ISO was in fact 125, in that case I'll keep the ISO at 100.

@ElJamoquio - yes that is true, better DOF, resolution and can fit more in the frame but in my opinion the price is going to have to come down first - they are so expensive!

As much as I'd like a full frame, I am a Pentax man now and ideall want to stick with Pentax gear. That being said they better announce something decent DSLR wise at CP/PMA instead of offering silly new colours for the Q10 and a retro camera!
01-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Stephen (Broadbent) said, you probably won't need a FF camera - but like you, I'd like one.
Do wait, Pentax have already announced the retro camera (MX-1) and probably gotten some of their minor announcements out of the way. We probably won't see the FF at CP+ though. Might be time to consider the K-5 or decide on the K30 if you like the K-r interface more.
01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As Stephen (Broadbent) said, you probably won't need a FF camera - but like you, I'd like one.
Do wait, Pentax have already announced the retro camera (MX-1) and probably gotten some of their minor announcements out of the way. We probably won't see the FF at CP+ though. Might be time to consider the K-5 or decide on the K30 if you like the K-r interface more.
Thanks Ash, i'll wait for a little longer and see what/if they announce anything. If not then I'll most likely get a K-5 or K-5 II/II S.

Cheers

Alex