Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
K7 or K30?

I just got a K7 (from a K-x), as much as I love the body I think its showing its age. I took it out on new years and the iso performance was pretty bad to say the least (some of the images were still good even at 3200). As well as the DR which is behind even Canons. I mean sensor wise, my K-x was better, but I love everything else of the K7.

Anyone here gone from K7 to K30? How long do you guys think the K7 will last me before it needs to be upgraded?

I could possibly get a used K5 but I may have to sell one of my lenses to do that so I'd be going back to the kit lens.. In any case I think a K7 with a good lens would be better than a K5 with the kit ?

Or should I just stick with my K7

01-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
The K-30 is a no-brainer. I would take a K-30 over a K-7 anyday. Better high-ISO performance with the better sensor, better auto-focusing performance especially with focus peaking and PDAF. Better video performance. More software features including compatibility with the GPS unit. So much better! Only problem is there isn't a top LCD which YOU won't miss because your K-x never had one in the first place, as well as the battery grip which you also won't miss because you never had one with your K-x.
01-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Agree - mainly due to the ISO Performance.
01-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Original Poster
I heard the K30's battery doesn't last very long though?

01-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I heard the K30's battery doesn't last very long though?
Eneloops my friend... Get a AA battery tray for your K-30 and use Sanyo Eneloop batteries, they will last you longer than your K-7's D-LI90 ever will.
01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member
treebeard's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windham, NH
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I just got a K7 (from a K-x), as much as I love the body I think its showing its age. I took it out on new years and the iso performance was pretty bad to say the least (some of the images were still good even at 3200). As well as the DR which is behind even Canons. I mean sensor wise, my K-x was better, but I love everything else of the K7.

Anyone here gone from K7 to K30? How long do you guys think the K7 will last me before it needs to be upgraded?

I could possibly get a used K5 but I may have to sell one of my lenses to do that so I'd be going back to the kit lens.. In any case I think a K7 with a good lens would be better than a K5 with the kit ?

Or should I just stick with my K7
What do you intend to shoot? Personally I would have gone to a K-30 due to it's ISO performance and other features. However, saying the K-7's DR is behind Canons is sort of a broad statement. Get the K-30 or even a K-5. Once I move back to NH/MA I will be picking up a K-30 to go along side my K-5.
01-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Eneloops my friend... Get a AA battery tray for your K-30 and use Sanyo Eneloop batteries, they will last you longer than your K-7 ever will.
I used eneloops on my K-x, idk why but I feel the K7 lasts longer? I shot 350+ pictures and it was still indicating full battery. On my K-x I got about 500 pictures before it died.

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
What do you intend to shoot? Personally I would have gone to a K-30 due to it's ISO performance and other features. However, saying the K-7's DR is behind Canons is sort of a broad statement. Get the K-30 or even a K-5. Once I move back to NH/MA I will be picking up a K-30 to go along side my K-5.
I like shooting landscapes and architecture, where high iso performance isn't really needed since I'd have my tripod but occasionally I use my camera at night which is where the K7 lacks
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
A measly 500 shots?! That's ridiculous, I've heard people shoot that much and still have half the batteries power. Guess I was wrong, maybe shooting depending on RAW or JPEG does affect battery life =/

01-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
A measly 500 shots?! That's ridiculous, I've heard people shoot that much and still have half the batteries power. Guess I was wrong, maybe shooting depending on RAW or JPEG does affect battery life =/
I only shot RAW with it, and used flash for maybe 25% of the shots :s
01-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Original Poster
Ah you know I guess LeDave is right, I won't miss the top LCD or grip.

So anybody want to recommend a color? Black or white?
01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
Don't forget about blue too. As for colors, it's all up to what you want. Black looks more professional, but white looks cooler. But if it's a flat 50/50 then I'd wait for several replies to break the tie =P
01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,180
I'd go with black. But then I'm not exactly representative of the majority of our generation so YMMV. Which lens will you get with it?
01-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Senior Member
userage's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 198
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'd go with black. But then I'm not exactly representative of the majority of our generation so YMMV. Which lens will you get with it?
I'd get body only, I'd keep my Tamron 17-50 on it.
01-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
i_trax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,119
I went K-x(black) , K-7 , K-5 , Q(black) , K-30(black) and recently K-01 ( black - took only very few photos with it so far)
sold my K-x and K-7 , thinking about selling K-5 ( as never use it).
K-30 is the real winner ( fast,light + AA batteries) , with K-01 as a back up + the Q for all other fun situations.....
get K-30 and enjoy it!
kind regards
jack
01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member
treebeard's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windham, NH
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
I used eneloops on my K-x, idk why but I feel the K7 lasts longer? I shot 350+ pictures and it was still indicating full battery. On my K-x I got about 500 pictures before it died.



I like shooting landscapes and architecture, where high iso performance isn't really needed since I'd have my tripod but occasionally I use my camera at night which is where the K7 lacks
I have never shot a K7 but I hear the lower ISO's are very clean and it falls apart once you go higher.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, k5, k7, kit, love, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it madness to be thinking about a K30 or K5 (as a K7 owner) Conqueror Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 07-07-2013 05:22 PM
K30 or K5II Nezero Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 04-19-2013 02:58 PM
Upgrading K5-old or K30? kace Pentax K-30 & K-50 9 12-21-2012 11:33 AM
X-Pro or K30/K5 goldpopper Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 6 07-29-2012 01:02 AM
K7 - Upgrade to K30, buy a "cheap" K5 or Wait for the K3? EstimatedEyes Pentax K-30 & K-50 13 07-18-2012 04:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top