Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Flash Bouncer for Pop-Up Flash?

Anybody used one of these?

Amazon.com: Professor Kobre's Lightscoop Standard Version Bounce Flash Device - Universal Model: Camera & Photo

01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have one and have had limited success.

The "most helpful critical review", in the link you provided pretty much describes my experience, Basically it works but with several limitations.

One big limitation I ran into was that does not work when shooting in portrait orientation.
01-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dumb (or obvious) question from me - why doesn't any camera company ever make the pop-up flash itself able to be angled up or rotated? They can make articulated LCDs now for years, why not articulted flashes?
01-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

I've got one - actually for sale if you're interested as I've just bought a flashgun. I've had great success with it, just need to raise the ISO a little to 400 or 800 and it works great. See these pictures I took of a friends wedding, all the indoor shots used the lightscoop - https://picasaweb.google.com/114770491270272169513/201208LouMattSWedding?aut...eat=directlink

Cheers

Alex

01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

i have the gary fong puffer that works well. doesn't bounce though.
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Dumb (or obvious) question from me - why doesn't any camera company ever make the pop-up flash itself able to be angled up or rotated? They can make articulated LCDs now for years, why not articulted flashes?
There are some out there...some NEX cameras have a flexible pop up flash contraption that can be bent backwards. But I agree, it is strange there aren't more. Trying to push you into buying a fancy flashgun from them, I guess.
01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I believe bouncing an already low-GN flash would not really be practical, and a more-powerful flash would suck down batteries. For $10 more, you can buy a Bower (or other) flash that bounces, swivels and manually zooms with a full-power manual setting and 2 auto f-stop settings. You can also use the flash off-camera to light buildings and other things during a long exposure :-)
01-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
The pop-up flash isn't worth being articulated and angled with, it simply isn't powerful enough. I found that out with my friend's D7000 where he bought a diffuser for the pop-up flash, all the photos turned out really dark because it didn't generate enough power, maybe just needs to EV +2 for it to work properly. If anything I would buy a actual flash unit to attach to the hotshoe.

01-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #9

Lim's Easy on ebay
It is a reflector and diffuser. Works perfectly on my K-30.
01-07-2014, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I believe bouncing an already low-GN flash would not really be practical, and a more-powerful flash would suck down batteries. For $10 more, you can buy a Bower (or other) flash that bounces, swivels and manually zooms with a full-power manual setting and 2 auto f-stop settings. You can also use the flash off-camera to light buildings and other things during a long exposure :-)
Exactly. I find that even when using a flash with a high guide number of 120 (ft) that when bouncing I can't use some of the smaller apertures that I could with direct flash.

There are at several things going on that lower the amount of light hitting the subject:
- Diffusion and reflectivity of the ceiling (and bounce card if using one)
- Increase in flash to subject distance.

As to the latter light output is subject to the inverse square law - output = 1 / distance * distance ( one over distance squared) thus:

distance to subject direct flash = 6 output = 1/36
distance to ceiling + distance to ceiling to subject = 4 + 4 = 8 output = 1/64. A higher ceiling where total flash to subject distance of 10 would give an output = 1/100.

It can be done but be aware if you go outside the maximum flash distance you won't get good results and that practical subject to camera distance can be much less than direct flash.
01-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
i have the gary fong puffer that works well. doesn't bounce though.
I have similar like this also, softens popup flash light nicely. I have that in orange and blue colors too, orange i use much in tungsten light. My 3 set diffusers was few bucks only.
01-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll third the Gary Fong Puffer. it's a contraption, but it works well.
01-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'll third the Gary Fong Puffer. it's a contraption, but it works well.

Me, too... My subjects wonder what it is, but they seem to like the results. No problems...

Cheers... M
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I use the Demb Pop Up Flip-It

Demb Flash Products - Demb Pop-up Flip-it! Flash Reflector

It has an acrylic mirror that directs the light straight up and an adjustable bounce card bounces 0-100% of the reflected light forward. It's small and very lightweight and folds flat -- fits easily in a shirt or jeans pocket. It's a bit fiddly to mount, but produces good results. In high ceiling rooms, all the light can be bounced forward off the card, so the low power of the flash can still be effective. I always carry one of these.

I'm also a fan of the Demb PJ Flip-It w/diffuser panel with external flash -- still use the original model I purchased when first offered. It also folds flat, packs easily and IMO is the most convenient and effective compact flash modifier among the many I've tried.

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 01-07-2014 at 02:34 PM.