Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
When I read the above, and compare this to what I have done, I have one simple question.

With a flash, why did you shoot at F3.2 1/100 and ISO 800?

I would have used the High ISO to get depth of field (perhaps F8) and the flash to freeze motion, and have the shutter speed at 1/180 to get maximum sync and minimum influence from ambient light.

With motion, 1/100 will not freeze it, and as a result if you are using HIGH ISO and big apature, you will see blur because there is enough ambient lighting under these conditions to have a large portion of the lighting by the ambient.
Believe me Lowell, I would have liked to use a much smaller aperture. The larger aperture not only has less DOF, but I discovered quite a bit of softness and CA with the Sigma at wide openings. Unfortunately, the distance to subject (about 36 feet for breed, and 72 feet for group) was to great to stop down that far. I would have liked to use a faster shutter speed also, but I had no close background to reflect light. I used shutter speed to light the background, so it wouldn't look like I was shooting in a black hole.

Here is a typical example. This from the breed ring which are about 36' square. That wall was another 30-40 feet away. The group ring consists of 2 breed rings, so I was approximately 70 feet away. I should have used my softbox also, cause I got a lot of red eye. I decided not to use it to gain the extra 1/2 stop. It wasn't worth it.

02-20-2008, 03:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

With a flash, why did you shoot at F3.2 1/100 and ISO 800?
I believe he used the settings to light up background that flash couldn't reach (not without burning the dogs anyway)

Now let me tell you a short story that reflects your situation, roscot. My mother has a film P&S camera that has exactly four buttons: on/off, no flash, zoom and trigger. She takes it on trips and is happy with every shot she makes. On the other hand I have an "expensive" K100D not to mention lenses and other "stuff" and am still not satisfied with my shots. Is she a better photographer? Is my equipment too much for me? Or perhaps she doesn't make that good pictures at all and likes them just because of memories they bring?
One really can't say anything until one sees the pictures.

Also seeing a few pictures on back LCD isn't enough to judge one's skills and that's exactly why I avoid showing pictures in my camera to other people.
02-20-2008, 08:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
you should have traded cameras for 30 minutes.
i wonder what kind of shots you would have gotten with the d3.
Without any experience with the new camera I can promise you that roscot would have been very disappointed with those pictures.

They're tough conditions to master in the first place, and when you add something new into the equation they're next to impossible.
02-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Now, I did not say I didn't like my shots. I capture quite a few decent ones. I did my initial review and cut last night. Believe me, I did get my share of throw aways. Some with motion blur, some just OOF. I just may have a BF issue, I rarely shoot wide open with this lens, or the lens is a bit soft below f4.0. I'll know more when I finish processing.
Nobody said 'you' didn't like 'your' shots - but your fellow photographer said that 'he' didn't like 'his'.

That doesn't mean that yours were any better than his - he may expect more from his system; and as we've not seen any of his photos, we're in no position to judge.

02-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Believe me Lowell, I would have liked to use a much smaller aperture. The larger aperture not only has less DOF, but I discovered quite a bit of softness and CA with the Sigma at wide openings. Unfortunately, the distance to subject (about 36 feet for breed, and 72 feet for group) was to great to stop down that far. I would have liked to use a faster shutter speed also, but I had no close background to reflect light. I used shutter speed to light the background, so it wouldn't look like I was shooting in a black hole.

Here is a typical example. This from the breed ring which are about 36' square. That wall was another 30-40 feet away. The group ring consists of 2 breed rings, so I was approximately 70 feet away. I should have used my softbox also, cause I got a lot of red eye. I decided not to use it to gain the extra 1/2 stop. It wasn't worth it.

I have to wonder if the flash was doing anything, because the shadow on the foreground subject is just as dark as that on the back ground.

Maybe you should look at a flash extender or snoot. that can get you a couple of stops of distance.

Also, I would let the background drop down 1-1/2 stopd, not a black hole but enough to bring out the foreground
02-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to wonder if the flash was doing anything, because the shadow on the foreground subject is just as dark as that on the back ground.

Maybe you should look at a flash extender or snoot. that can get you a couple of stops of distance.
Not a bad idea. I'll look into that.

Also, I would let the background drop down 1-1/2 stopped, not a black hole but enough to bring out the foreground
I'll give this a try next show. Thanks.
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Also, I would let the background drop down 1-1/2 stopd, not a black hole but enough to bring out the foreground

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a better beamer? (link below) Flash range drops off quickly, I've shot trotting horses in dark arenas at iso 400, f8, 540 flash at full power manual, 1/180 shutter, at about 20 feet away. Motion is stopped, background is a few stops darker than subject. There's always a trade off with low light and action. Low light still shots, I like to drag the shutter.

Amazon.com: better beamer