Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

K-x and K-r successors?

I was just wondering if there are rumors or what not about successors of Pentax Entry-Level DSLRs. I believe both cameras have now been discontinued. Is the K30 their new Entry level?

01-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the K30 is generally regarded as the mid-level camera. There is no current replacement for the Kr.
01-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Rumors abounded last fall about a 'K-300' which would be less expensive than the K-30, and of course with less features and no WR. But nothing ever materialized. And AFAIK, it was purely invention / wishful thinking of Pentax community. Maybe we will see something at CP+.

I do think Pentax needs a less expensive 'entry level' camera. The K-30 is a great value for the price but it competes with other companies mid-level offerings, which makes Pentax seem expensive as brand. Marketing revolves around 'good, better, best' and a two camera line up is hard for retailers to work with.
01-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I do think Pentax needs a less expensive 'entry level' camera. The K-30 is a great value for the price but it competes with other companies mid-level offerings, which makes Pentax seem expensive as brand. Marketing revolves around 'good, better, best' and a two camera line up is hard for retailers to work with.
I agree. The K30 seems to be in the level of the Nikon D7000. I'd really love to see an updated version of the K-x since it is one heck of a budget DSLR.

01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is not likely to have an entry level DSLR going forward. As a niche player they can't afford to have a low margin DSLR right now. The K-30 sits somewhere between the D5xxx and D7xxx. The K-01 is now priced as an entry level camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Marketing revolves around 'good, better, best' and a two camera line up is hard for retailers to work with.
You are assuming Pentax cares about marketing to westerners at all.
01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You are assuming Pentax cares about marketing to westerners at all.
Not at all. That is sound marketing theory, but I have no idea if Pentax knows what marketing is though. And yes I assume they do care about the western market. Caring and being effective are not the same, but they definitely care.

I just think there is room at the low end for a competitive k-x sized dslr and I think there is room at the top end for a more expensive one. But one step at a time, moving the volume needed to make an entry level work requires sales channels that Ricoh does not yet have. I think those two items go hand in hand, develop entry level camera and sales channel to move it.
01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Imo the K30 replaced the K-r and they added more features to make it a mid range offering. Then they replaced the entry level option with the K-01. Some will hate it because of the lack of some features (notably the VF) but it's an outstanding value.
01-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Luckily, at least here in Manila, the Pentax K-x and K-r are still available. Though from what I heard stocks are also dwindling. The K-01 doesn't look like a good replacement for the K-x though. I guess I could get a K-r or k-30 as a second body when I finally completely switch from Nikon to Pentax.

01-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I firmly believe we'll see a direct K-r replacement soon.

BTW, Pentax calls the K-30 mid-level, not entry level, so clearly it is not a K-r replacement.
01-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I firmly believe we'll see a direct K-r replacement soon. ...
I would agree ... Pentax needs a product (a DSLR, not the K-01) positioned in this market segment - J
01-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Imo the K30 replaced the K-r and they added more features to make it a mid range offering. Then they replaced the entry level option with the K-01. Some will hate it because of the lack of some features (notably the VF) but it's an outstanding value.
K-01 was not a entry level camera, it had much too high build quality for entry level. It was not meant to be sold at a low price, but it could not be sold at full price.

K-01 was just a test to see if there was a market for a high quality K-mount MILC, but that test failed. And it showed that this type of camera only sells if it's much cheaper than a DSLR.
01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
K-01 was not a entry level camera, it had much too high build quality for entry level. It was not meant to be sold at a low price, but it could not be sold at full price.

K-01 was just a test to see if there was a market for a high quality K-mount MILC, but that test failed. And it showed that this type of camera only sells if it's much cheaper than a DSLR.
It failed because it's ridiculously ugly and they launched at an extremely high price. You might not like the K-01 but there are many that liked it before the price dropped to current levels. Imo a mirrorless that is stripped of a lot of content is the way to go for the entry level market provided you have a fully featured mid range model. I think we'll see a significantly different entry level mirrorless that addresses the issues with the K-01.
01-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It failed because it's ridiculously ugly and they launched at an extremely high price. You might not like the K-01 but there are many that liked it before the price dropped to current levels. Imo a mirrorless that is stripped of a lot of content is the way to go for the entry level market provided you have a fully featured mid range model. I think we'll see a significantly different entry level mirrorless that addresses the issues with the K-01.
Well, this pretty much repeat what I wrote.
01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Well, this pretty much repeat what I wrote.
Not really. The K-01 would have worked if it wasn't ugly and it was priced in the $400-500 price range. That's an entry level offering imo and mirrorless is a great way to make a high content entry level camera for a low cost.
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

K-01 is not ugly, in fact it's better looking than most DSLR IMO. It might look odd if you think that entry level DSLR looks good. K-01 has a mixed retro/futuristic look that is not bad, but at the price Pentax wanted to sell it for it should have included EVF, and then it might have sold much better.

I don't think you can sell a viewfinderless K-mount camera for $500, as K30 don't cost much more, and will probably be even closer in price within a few month. Body only for a entry level K-mount MILC (without EVF) has to be priced something like $300. Which is not much less than entry level DSLR from competition.