Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see a lot more K-5's in the market than I do K-30's. In fact K-5 is probably the most I've seen out of all.

01-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I've seen several K-30s (and various kits) for sale which were actually priced higher than the current street price!
Yeah. What's up with that?
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
It is because people are funny. Once technology is surpassed, people often believe that the camera that has served them well is rendered useless. Cant be seen with old gear, people will laugh.
I upgrade when i find a new feature that i will find useful in working with these cameras. anything that can help me get a better product to the client is worth it, especially if it brings in more business. The only thing that would make me upgrade at the moment is a full frame camera. Not because you aren't a pro if you don't have one (there are many rich, crap photographers out there), but because it suits my style with the shallow DOF and compression of foreground and background. The wider angle would have helped a lot on the job i did yesterday too.

Don't worry, play and have fun. Cameras are like people. Many have issues with the ones that are your favourite and vice versa.
01-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Yeah. What's up with that?
That isn't uncommon...people want to recuperate what they paid and if you don't buy/sell often you might not think to go check the current price...those listings also sit around the longest!

01-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #20
Banned

Well if people can't make good images with a K-30, I can tell you that also can't do that with any other camera. I have K-01 with the same image quality and you can make amazing images with it if you can!
01-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This camera has turned the whole world of photography. Many weren't ready to it. Therefore they start selling.
And K-30 is only predecessor or premessenger of future super camera of Pentax.
01-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
Sell it and buy Nikon. You'll feel better. Nothing will have changed but you'll feel better knowing you avoided the "hidden" problems of the K-30 and the lack of 3rd party lens support. And remember, you don't have to line your hat with aluminum foil but why take a chance?
Could you please elaborate why he would feel better and also I really want to know what those "hidden" problems of the K-30 are. Lack of 3rd party lens support?
God forbid someone not use a Nikon or Canon camera to enjoy photography. Get real.

01-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Could you please elaborate why he would feel better and also I really want to know what those "hidden" problems of the K-30 are. Lack of 3rd party lens support?
God forbid someone not use a Nikon or Canon camera to enjoy photography. Get real.
We need a sarcasm tag lol
01-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think he is being facetious. Some people really do have a underlying feeling that if they aren't with "the crowd" that there is something wrong with what they have. I don't think the OP is necessarily there, but there are many people who do buy based more on association than on the product itself. As cool as it is that Ashton Kutcher uses Nikon, it won't make anyone's photos better or worse, but there are really some people out there who will be swayed to buy a Nikon based on that (or seeing a pro at the Olympicus using one).

The reality is that for most of us, our limitations are not our cameras, but our own skills (or lack of them). Most people selling K30s are not doing so because of flaws, or because they have "maxxed out" the camera, but because they want something else.
01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Closed Account

We also need a satire tag. I was poking fun at an extreme case of buyer's remorse. The recommendation to line his hat with aluminum foil was so the Black Helicopters couldn't monitor his anti-Pentax thoughts. He already spilled the beans on the "Pentax lens price fixing deal" and was raising far too many unanswered questions about the K-30. He had to be stopped at any cost! What next, revealing the secret handshake?
01-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ponosby Britt Quote
We also need a satire tag. I was poking fun at an extreme case of buyer's remorse. The recommendation to line his hat with aluminum foil was so the Black Helicopters couldn't monitor his anti-Pentax thoughts. He already spilled the beans on the "Pentax lens price fixing deal" and was raising far too many unanswered questions about the K-30. He had to be stopped at any cost! What next, revealing the secret handshake?
I'm not Anti Pentax, I think its you who maybe should be foil wrapped! There is clearly an issue with Pentax trying to control pricing on their lenses. And there are quite a few lenses offered by third party makers not available in Pentax mounts.
That said, I know my plans for future use and am satisfied that between used offerings and new availability I'll be able to meet my lens needs easily. My concern was that someone wouldn't show me the secret Pentax hand shake. Really I noticed for a camera on the market such a short time there seemed to be quite a few for sale. ( in my foil wrapped mind anyway) clearly the K-30 gets fantastic reviews (one reason I bought) but didn't know if there was any big reason to spend up for the K-5II.
I have just purchased a excellent used Sigma 17-70 and am shopping for more lenses to add for my intended uses. I will keep, use and enjoy my K-30 and hopefully be able to produce some images that make Nikon and Canon users envy. I'm excited to get back into photography but I have have so much digital to learn. Thanks for all the great advise and recommendations! And May The Force Be With You All!
01-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
Pentaxian

There's probably not a more sure way of wasteing time, than trying to figure out what's going on in another human being's head, forget about a bunch of them. There seems to be a lot of happy K-30 users on the forum.

I should probably have a K-5 II instead of 2 K-5s and a K-30 instead of my K-x, but truthfully, I'm happy with what I've got and don't see the need to upgrade. If I didn't have what I have, I wouldn't buy what I have, (I'd have a K-5 II, a K-5 IIs and a K-30), but I'll be able to get along for years with what I have, so there's no pressure here.

The big advantage to a K-30 over a K-x for me would be... I'll probably start thinking about selling my K-x (or retiring it) long before I would have the same thoughts about a K-30. I used my K20D for 4 years. I expect to get the same out of my K-5s. There isn't enough improvement between one new model and the next to justify purchase of every new model. I never owned a K-r or a K10 and I don't feel I suffered in any way because of it. I was testing an old F 70-210 (film era) lens the other day, on my K-5. A picture of a ladder in shadow at about 300 meters. It was razor sharp, with great colour tone and contrast. The image was as good as you're going to get on any camera.

People fuss too much sometimes, especially about what camera they are using.

The biggest reason for people selling anything after Christmas... they got the thing as a present, they look and see how much money they could get for it, and decided they'd rather have the money. Pretty simple really.

You can buy a lot of really cool things with the money from selling your K-30, including a $100 point and shoot (and a pile of other stuff) if that better suits your style.
01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Keep the K-30...be happy
In fact I have considered more than once selling my K-5 to take advantage of the K-30's focus peaking. Decided against it mainly because the K-5s are selling so cheaply used.
01-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think he is being facetious. Some people really do have a underlying feeling that if they aren't with "the crowd" that there is something wrong with what they have. I don't think the OP is necessarily there, but there are many people who do buy based more on association than on the product itself. As cool as it is that Ashton Kutcher uses Nikon, it won't make anyone's photos better or worse, but there are really some people out there who will be swayed to buy a Nikon based on that (or seeing a pro at the Olympicus using one).

The reality is that for most of us, our limitations are not our cameras, but our own skills (or lack of them). Most people selling K30s are not doing so because of flaws, or because they have "maxxed out" the camera, but because they want something else.
Actually, a sarcasm tag would be sweet. Sorry, I just can't stand it when people make claims that are untrue or false. Hey, you don't hear me ragging on Nikon for having issues with their D600? I don't get paid to be a critic...perhaps he does. LOL
01-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heelers Quote
Boy I'm really wondering why? Just today there is a one week old K-30 listed in the Market place for sale. Really wondering why I'm seeing lots of the K-30's basically brand new being sold? Is there a real problem with these? I just purchased one (got it for Christmas) and can return it, should I take it back and spend up for the K-5II? $450 more, is the 5II really worth it? Then there is the whole Pentax lens price fixing deal and some the the third party lens companies not releasing there lenses in the Pentax mount (ie Sigma 180mm Macro). Really having second thoughts. Maybe the Nikon D7000? I can return for one more week, what to do?
Enjoy your camera. You just got it. Like others have said get out and shoot and learn how to make wonderful photos with it. While I don't own one (K-5) I've heard the image quality is amazing.