Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot of people bought the kits to get the lenses cheaper. Particularly the 18-135WR which is significantly cheaper in the K-30 kit. Not all of them want the body. Or they got a K5II as an upgrade and they just don't need 2 bodies but want the lenses that come with the K-30. At the rate that the K-30 has been dropping in price they probably don't feel it's wise to wait too long if they are going to resell theirs. It's the same thing that happened with the K-r's. It came out at like $900 and now you can get one on sale with a kit lens for $350-400 because the K-30 has replaced it. $500 is a big drop and the same thing is happening with the K-30. By the time the next entry level model comes out the K-30 will be running under $500 too.

Me, I'm living for the day and saving my pennies for when I can find a used K-30 for the same price a used K-r or K-x is going for. As much as I'd kill for one now I don't have the means right now to afford a new one and don't see the point in spending $900-1200 for a kit when in a year I will be able to get one for half that, maybe even new if I am lucky, but I get why people are selling them right off. Of course they are. A year from now they simply won't get what they are likely to get now. The K-30 is still in the "hot" period. Better to sell for as much as you can while you can because when it's been out for a while that won't happen.

01-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #32

In the UK the K-30 body in December was £369 with £50 cashback = £319. That was a stonking good offer, with a 2 year guarantee. The cashback in the UK stops on Jan 15th - only a few days to go. The same retailer now sells it at £459 with £50 cashback, only a month later. In a few days it'll be £459 no cahback. So an increase of £140. All these prices include a 2 year guarantee. The Amazon UK price I believe doesn't.

How that affects used prices in the UK I have no idea. K-30 + standard lens is hovering around £350 right now.
01-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm becoming convinced that digital camera technology has now arrived at the point where many of the so-called "improvements" to these new DSLRs are more often than not in the form of added "bells and whistles" that may add to user convenience but do precious little to improve one's overall ability to contribute to their photographic art.

Or, to put it another way, I doubt seriously whether most of us really use all of the features of these newer DSLR cameras.

Indeed, there is actually a disease associated with all this nonsense. It's called "feature creep"....the continual addition of so-called "features" to things that look great in the camera store or magazine reviews but that few, if any of us, end up ever really using. Perhaps this may also help explain why so many K-30s are now coming on the market. When one opens the box, they find very little that's really "new".

I'm a long-time Pentax user (from the old Spotmatic film days) and have found over the years that the often over-hyped "latest and greatest" photo equipment isn't always worth the added cost and really won't add that much to the overall quality of my shooting. To me, the most salient feature of Pentax DSLRs is that all of my old glass (including some of my old screw mount Takumars) still work beautifully on my K-100, K-10 and K-20 bodies (which, themselves, were mostly bought on the "experienced" (i.e. used) market).

Clearly, these older lenses are worth their weight in gold...if you are willing to spend some time learning about what such things as depth of field and aperture mean to your shooting. Now, granted, I have to "fiddle" a bit more with these older lenses on my DSLRs, but , then again, isn't "fiddling" part of our photographic hobby?

Over the years, I've also found that many of my greatest photos have been made using just a simple, $100, point and shoot camera. This, in turn, leads me to believe that while all the "bells and whistles" on these newer DSLRs may be "nice to have"...without a SIGNIFICANT change in the basic sensor technology, sometimes these so-called "features" aren't worth the added cost.

More often than not, they simply get in the way.
01-11-2013, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I just checked out the buy/sell (the first 2 pages) and kijiji and I don't see even one K-30 for sale second hand. That kind of negates the relevance of the thread. it should be made invisible, then reactivated once a few pop up for sale somewhere. It's hard to have a reasonable discussion if the underlying premise isn't true.

01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I just checked out the buy/sell (the first 2 pages) and kijiji and I don't see even one K-30 for sale second hand. That kind of negates the relevance of the thread. it should be made invisible, then reactivated once a few pop up for sale somewhere. It's hard to have a reasonable discussion if the underlying premise isn't true.
Then it hasn't changed since last week when the thread was started....I had checked the first half dozen pages of the marketplace and found I think 1 listed for sale.
01-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #36

@ KB1SFVE3 ... You make some valid points, but you're misled in directing them at the K-30. I had the K20D and sold it within a month after buying the K-30. Other than the addition of Video (which I never use) the K-30 is a simpler camera, and cheaper as well. It also outperforms the K20D by about two stops in IQ, is smaller and much easier to use. By your line of reasoning we'd never get any new cameras!
01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
@ KB1SFVE3 ... You make some valid points, but you're misled in directing them at the K-30. I had the K20D and sold it within a month after buying the K-30. Other than the addition of Video (which I never use) the K-30 is a simpler camera, and cheaper as well. It also outperforms the K20D by about two stops in IQ, is smaller and much easier to use. By your line of reasoning we'd never get any new cameras!
I, too, own a K-20.

And I can certainly live without the "two stops in IQ" I'd get from buying the K-30. What's more, if I ever want to shoot video (which I don't) I'll buy a movie camera. And if I want a "simpler" and more "lightweight" camera, I'll buy a point and shoot rather than yet another DSLR.

Like I said, a lot of what's touted as "new and improved" by the DSLR marketers these days is little more than what I and others (like Ellen Goodman of the Boston Globe) have come to call "feature creep":....the addition of so-called "features" that few (if any) of us will ever need...or use.

But, hey...if all those new "features" are what floats your boat.....go for it!

Keith

01-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KB1SFVE3 Quote
I, too, own a K-20.

And I can certainly live without the "two stops in IQ" I'd get from buying the K-30. What's more, if I ever want to shoot video (which I don't) I'll buy a movie camera. And if I want a "simpler" and more "lightweight" camera, I'll buy a point and shoot rather than yet another DSLR.

Like I said, a lot of what's touted as "new and improved" by the DSLR marketers these days is little more than what I and others (like Ellen Goodman of the Boston Globe) have come to call "feature creep":....the addition of so-called "features" that few (if any) of us will ever need...or use.

But, hey...if all those new "features" are what floats your boat.....go for it!

Keith
It is about image quality, and I completely agree with your previous post about cameras having arrived at the point where they are adding bells and whistles, but I do have to say that with the k20d you're solidly in the pre-arrival generation of cameras. The K-5, K-30, newer K-5 versions, not to mention cameras from sony, olympus, and nikon are all a significant step up from the k20d in terms of image quality output and capability (and that does include low light capability). If the k20d still works for the photography you do that is perfectly fine, just saying that it is a generation behind the real arrival of general camera sensor performance across the board (not speaking about ergonomics or bells and whistles, strictly sensor output).
04-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Being that this is my first DSLR. I don't think I'll be selling this Camera for the next 5 plus years.