Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Why so many K-30's up for sale already?

Boy I'm really wondering why? Just today there is a one week old K-30 listed in the Market place for sale. Really wondering why I'm seeing lots of the K-30's basically brand new being sold? Is there a real problem with these? I just purchased one (got it for Christmas) and can return it, should I take it back and spend up for the K-5II? $450 more, is the 5II really worth it? Then there is the whole Pentax lens price fixing deal and some the the third party lens companies not releasing there lenses in the Pentax mount (ie Sigma 180mm Macro). Really having second thoughts. Maybe the Nikon D7000? I can return for one more week, what to do?

01-04-2013, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why worry about what other people are doing? Take the camera out...learn to use it and have fun with it. If you encounter problems then post those issues here so you can hopefully get them resolved.
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K30 is an awesome camera. I have one...well my husband has one. He *had* a D7000 and I ended up sellling it here. The reason you are probably seeing K30s up for sale is that recent Nikon FF cameras have dropped in price and Pentax has been tight lipped about what is coming in the next couple of months. Since it's not likely we will see a camera that is near to the K30 in specs, people are getting out of their cameras now in anticipation of what may be announced in a few weeks. In addition, the K5iis is such a great camera, that some folks are going upscale sooner than wait. Lots of complex issues here, but not to worry. There is nothing wrong with the K30 per se. It's a GREAT camera!
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My best advice is to go take some pictures and learn you camera. There is NO perfect camera. I still shoot a K200D that will be 5 years old in July with 47934 shutter actuations and still going strong. Learning your equipment will improve your pictures far beyond what any camera will do on its own. There are tons of used lenses out there on the market that will fit your camera. Newer isn't always better. I took this shot with a 30 year old manual 70-300mm zoom I had leftover from my ME Super.

Enjoy your camera and have fun doing it!!!

01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Heelers Quote
Boy I'm really wondering why? Just today there is a one week old K-30 listed in the Market place for sale. Really wondering why I'm seeing lots of the K-30's basically brand new being sold? Is there a real problem with these? I just purchased one (got it for Christmas) and can return it, should I take it back and spend up for the K-5II? $450 more, is the 5II really worth it? Then there is the whole Pentax lens price fixing deal and some the the third party lens companies not releasing there lenses in the Pentax mount (ie Sigma 180mm Macro). Really having second thoughts. Maybe the Nikon D7000? I can return for one more week, what to do?
Sell it and buy Nikon. You'll feel better. Nothing will have changed but you'll feel better knowing you avoided the "hidden" problems of the K-30 and the lack of 3rd party lens support. And remember, you don't have to line your hat with aluminum foil but why take a chance?
01-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Cameras are bought and sold all the time.

I bought a K-30 when the price was good, I sold it when I moved to the Nikon D600, I'll sell the D600 at some point too. Maybe when Pentax FF arrives. Maybe not. Maybe to upgrade, maybe to downgrade. But the marketplace always has cameras for sale.

I sold a K-01 to help buy the D600. I bought another K-01 when I found out that I could make my 50-135 work with screwdrive only.

I sold my K-5 to buy an OMD. I sold the OMD to buy the E-PM2, which suited me better and put money in my pocket.

The marketplace will be there when I need it to buy or sell.
01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

I've seen several K-30s (and various kits) for sale which were actually priced higher than the current street price!

01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I've seen several K-30s (and various kits) for sale which were actually priced higher than the current street price!
This comment is the key. It is not unusual for people to buy on the U.S. market and flip the unit on eBay (or here) to sell at a price somewhat above the U.S. market, but still less than the camera sells for somewhere else.

Steve
01-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Because the K5 classic is so cheap?
01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The thing is you don't see K5II' s for sale. The one currently on the Market place is only a week old. There must be some validity to people wanting to profit from it because if it was purchased from a reputable dealer they could just return rather than try to resell. doubt I'd buy a Nikon, would most likely buy the k-5II. So far I haven't had any issues myself, I do like the little larger size and the Top LCD screen of the k5 but didn't feel that was worth the extra funds and still really don't, just didn't know if there were issues with the K-30 that really weren't talked about.
The reason I went Pentax was I have a friend who has them who swears by them and has been shooting Pentax for 15 years. After seeing the positive reviews I bought the K-30 but was not aware of the pricing issue with the Pentax lenses, it is a concern but not a deal breaker. I've been shopping for some used lenses I would like but it seems they are crazy priced. I've seein used lenses going for 90% of new on lenses that are 2-3 yrs old. Like 55-300 DA,s going for 300.00 + shipping and fees when B&H has them new for $355 free shipping. I'm finding it would be just better to save for the new, to me new with warranty is worth 10-15%.
I like the camera so I think I'll just keep it, save for the lenses I want, watch for fair deals on used and learn all I can with it. In two or three years maybe Pentax will have something that I just can't resist for an upgrade. I really have no interest in FF at this point.
Thanks to all that replied!
01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The thing is you don't see K5II' s for sale. The one currently on the Market place is only a week old. There must be some validity to people wanting to profit from it because if it was purchased from a reputable dealer they could just return rather than try to resell. doubt I'd buy a Nikon, would most likely buy the k-5II. So far I haven't had any issues myself, I do like the little larger size and the Top LCD screen of the k5 but didn't feel that was worth the extra funds and still really don't, just didn't know if there were issues with the K-30 that really weren't talked about.
The reason I went Pentax was I have a friend who has them who swears by them and has been shooting Pentax for 15 years. After seeing the positive reviews I bought the K-30 but was not aware of the pricing issue with the Pentax lenses, it is a concern but not a deal breaker. I've been shopping for some used lenses I would like but it seems they are crazy priced. I've seein used lenses going for 90% of new on lenses that are 2-3 yrs old. Like 55-300 DA,s going for 300.00 + shipping and fees when B&H has them new for $355 free shipping. I'm finding it would be just better to save for the new, to me new with warranty is worth 10-15%.
I like the camera so I think I'll just keep it, save for the lenses I want, watch for fair deals on used and learn all I can with it. In two or three years maybe Pentax will have something that I just can't resist for an upgrade. I really have no interest in FF at this point.
Thanks to all that replied!
There is no pricing issue with Pentax - shop around for comparable lenses and you'll find they are more expensive in equivalent mounts. In regards to 1 person selling a relatively new camera in the marketplace, 1 - this does not constitute a flood, and 2 - some people don't like to buy and return things constantly to retailers. While it seems to have become a regular part of the American buying culture (to a ridiculous degree when it comes to cameras), buying just to try and constantly returning goods hurts the overall cost of goods for buyers, as retailers need to build the cost of depreciation into their overall retail sales pricing.

New vs used, unless you're getting a really good deal I agree you're better off new - but sometimes people will sell at a price that you can't pass up, so it is always good to keep an eye out. For now, don't worry about the marketplace (except to perhaps pick up a used 50mm f1.7 smc-a lens for seventy or eighty bucks and see what a nice old lens will do for your new k-30), go out and enjoy your new camera!
01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
My best advice is to go take some pictures and learn you camera. There is NO perfect camera. I still shoot a K200D that will be 5 years old in July with 47934 shutter actuations and still going strong. Learning your equipment will improve your pictures far beyond what any camera will do on its own. There are tons of used lenses out there on the market that will fit your camera. Newer isn't always better. I took this shot with a 30 year old manual 70-300mm zoom I had leftover from my ME Super.

Enjoy your camera and have fun doing it!!!
(Kick-@$$ shot of the racing boat BTW)
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
(Kick-@$$ shot of the racing boat BTW)
Thanks! It's a Bad Habit of mine.
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with the K-30. Comparatively, based on posts on this forum, I have seen fewer problems with it than past Pentax cameras. It's a great camera. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Have fun with it and when you feel you have outgrown it, upgrade! Until then, get out and shoot!
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shopping for some used lenses I would like but it seems they are crazy priced. I've seein used lenses going for 90% of new on lenses that are 2-3 yrs old.
When I first bought my k-x lenses were dirt cheap, Pentax was owned by Hoya and most speculation was on whether they would survive another year. Pentax brand had one foot in the grave. But k-x sold well. And k-5 despite a rough start sold well, K-r came out and sold very well. Old Pentax lenses could be bought for a song and slapped on a new body back then. Quality lenses that would cost an arm or leg in other brands. Now lens prices are rising, even old manual ones, to very competitive levels. Penalty for success. Supply and demand. There were far more lenses than buyers then. Now the glut has been used up and pricing reflects that.

The split between new and used prices on any product is a strong indicator of supply and the quality of the product. If used lenses are fetching 90% of new that is because the market has decided they do not depreciate much.