Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Service center for dropped camera

I have owned my k-r for more than a year. Do I need to send it to a Pentax authorized service center or can I take it to any camera service center? I believe the camera only had a 1 year warranty. I don't think it would be covered under warranty any way.
On our way out of state, our vehicle blew a spark plug and heli coil. So, we had to sit at a repair center for 5 hours to have it fixed. Well, during this time, they decided to check the lights on the inside of the vehicles trunk. They didn't tell us they were going to do that. They opened the back and my camera, with lens attached, fell out onto the concrete. My dh had put it back there thinking that the service techs wouldn't mess with it back there. Well, that didn't work out so well. The camera seems to work okay. The 70-300mm lens I had on it didn't turn very well at first and the lens hood is cracked in several places. When you look through the viewfinder of the camera you can see what looks like a black chunk in the middle, but it doesn't show up in the pictures.

01-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #2

I would look for a copy of your check just to be sure for the warranty. My Pentax K200 had 2 years of warranty. But here it's normal to have a two year warranty. So check if you can find it. If you can't, it's hard to prove you're in warranty so any standard camera service centre won't help. And my own experience is that any camera service centre barely help you with a Pentax camera. Best is to contact Pentax, which you'll find here: International Service Network (Japan) : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING. Just look up the area you're from, for me it would be Europe, as I'm from the Netherlands. For me I can go to an official Pentax dealer in Utrecht, they look first if they can repair it, if not, they ship it for me to the nearest Pentax service&support point. Not sure if you have a Pentax dealer nearby, but this is something you can check. In my opinion they give better advice on your Pentax camera then a standard camera service centre, but this is also my own experience.
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
The warranty isn't going to cover anything due to mishandling any way, so take your pick of where to send it. I would either look at CRIS or Eric.