Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
owners of both k5 and k30 comments pls

Hi I have a K5 [old model] which I have no intention of getting rid of, however I do have a k10d and a kr and was thinking to trade them in, the thing is do I look for another k5 ,or get a a k-30?

I see the benefit in getting another k5 in that it gives me two identical units at a Wedding with different lenses at the moment I use the Kr as the second body,and the k10 lives in the bad in case of a disastrous failure.

What I will appreciate is some useful input from any one who has both a K30 and a k5.

if you don't have both and can't offer actual hands on comparison please don't post. I have read the K-30 reviews on various sites and I am aware of all of the difference between the two models.

thanks in advance for any input.

I have changed this post to read K-r not K-x as I originally posted by mistake , apologies for the confusion.

Last edited by adwb; 01-07-2013 at 02:23 AM.
01-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a K-x, then think of the K-30 as something between the K-x and the K-5 handling-wise. The K-30 is better than the K-5 in some respects (playback speed, live view, and video), and it's certainly way better than both the K10 and the K-x. However, what really irritated me when using the K-30 to shoot events is the placement of the live view button, which is quite inconvenient. In addition, since the K-30 can't do 14-bit raw, I would suggest that you go for another K-5 if your primary focus is still image quality (which it sounds like it is).

BTW, unless you're really good friends with your camera store, I'd strongly suggest selling your old cameras online rather than trading them in. You can get up to twice as much for them!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both. Key for me in deciding to add the K30 instead of another K5 is the focus peaking on the K30. Really helps when using my old MF lenses. YMMV.
01-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've found that in a fast-paced situation with 2 lenses, it helps to have 2 of the same body (in my case a K-5 with a K-5 IIs, rather than with my otherwise well-liked K200D). Even though I know both cameras, with different bodies I'd have more trouble getting mixed up with the controls and/or available settings when I switched.

01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I use both as a pair for weddings, one thing I do like is using the k30 with the 70-200 as it is lighter and feels better. What I don't like is that the LCD on each camera look very different the k30 is better with white balance and easier to see the screen on bright days. I do like them as a pair but the LCD on the k5 isn't as bright or as sharp as the k30. You can't share batteries between them but I have 4 k5 batteries and a battery grip and I think I have 6 k30 batteries as they don't last as long. SB Photos there are a couple of weddings I have done on this site with this setup
01-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

The reason the difference in lcd's slightly annoys me is that I the k5 screen, after looking at the k30 screen, deceivingly look out of focus and under exposed unless you are inside for the brightness and also zoom in to check focus.
Not that the k5 is bad or wrong by any means but when working with them together, it can affect your judgement.
I have tried colour tuning my screens to look like my computer so it is much better but the problem is still slightly there
01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
The reason the difference in lcd's slightly annoys me is that I the k5 screen, after looking at the k30 screen, deceivingly look out of focus and under exposed unless you are inside for the brightness and also zoom in to check focus.
Not that the k5 is bad or wrong by any means but when working with them together, it can affect your judgement.
I have tried colour tuning my screens to look like my computer so it is much better but the problem is still slightly there
Steve, you comments on the k5 screen are intesting , as that is my feeling as well I tend to have mine set on full bright which helps but I often think a image is not sharp when zoomed in yet once viewed else where it is fine.

I actually think my kr has a better screen that could be my imagination.
01-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have just spotted that for some stupid reason I put down in my originlal post that I have a KX when in fact it is a KR please repost if you think this changes any views you have on my first post.

01-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #9

I think the screens on both the cameras are just as capable. It's more the software that produces the preview jpeg