Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Capture Camera Clip vs Spider Pro holster

Does anyone have any experience using the Capture Camera Clip system or the Spider Camera Holster or similar gear with a K-7/5?

Looking at the Spider, the tripod socket on my battery grip might be offset too much when used with the holster on the right hip.

01-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have the Capture and like it a lot. Unlike the Spider Holster, the capture is more versatile. I used it on a back packing trip and attached it to the strap of the back pack where the camera was easy to get to. Other times I've attached it to my belt. It's easy to take along and store in your camera bag unlike having the holster to take along. It also locks where you have to push a button to get it off instead of just twisting and lift. There's also a screw that you can tighten to lock it solidly if your i a crowd and worried about it being stolen. It all depends on how your using your gear.
01-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Capture and use it a lot, when I went to Florida for two weeks I had my K-5 W/18~135 lens on it 95% of the time, I hardly knew it was there, I even had my large shirt draped over it and you wouldn't know I even had a camera on me when you approach me.
I however, will not use the Capture on my K-5 with the battery grip attached (too bulky), But- I can see and understand how that set up would probably work really well on a Spider holster, but I will never know, because if I am doing a lot of walking around and hiking, I just need the camera without the battery grip, when I have the grip on it I prefer to just use the strap on it.
One great thing I notice with the Capture is the fact that the camera is so solid on my belt, it doesn't flop around, rattle, and basically stays put once I attach it to my belt. At first it takes a little getting used to when it comes to attaching and removing it for a shot or two, however after about a couple of hours of useage you get the hang of it and it comes second nature to you when you need access to it, now I only take a fraction of a second when I holster it or unholster it. they designed it so that the button is in the most perfect position, because when I unholster the camera, I have a full complete grip of the camera by the time I release it from my belt, and that is using only one hand.
I highly suggest getting the Capture for ease of use, stability, and security, plus this thing just oozes quality and attention to detail/ craftsmanship. I used this set up for two solid weeks at theme parks down in Florida, and not once had it failed me, I even used it on roller coasters, water rides, etc... It really takes a beating because so ruggedly built.
I hope this helps you out, if you end up getting the Spider holster then I will be interested in how it works out for you, I can imagine it has advantages over the Capture and I am interested in hearing what those advantages are
01-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Guys,
My Capture arrived yesterday which I will try out at a wedding I'm shooting today with my new K-5 IIs that arrived earlier in the week. I can see that the capture may not be suitable with a grip attached, maybe for events/weddings I will end up with a Capture on one side without a grip and the Spider on the other side with a grip and flash.

Still not sure how a K-5 with grip will hang from a Spider given the position of the tripod socket.