Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is really Earthshine, you can see the Mares on the dark side of the Moon only because the Earth illuminates it. That's Venus nearby.

Attached Images

02-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #17
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
I really hope the weather people are wrong tomorrow. This is a rare treat to have the entire eclipse high in the sky during Prime Time. Usually we only see 1/2 the eclipse cycle due to sunrise or sunset during totality.
Tell me about it. I'm just south of you. We're not supposed to have a cloud in the sky .... tonight. ... overcast & possibly snow tomorrow...
02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I am going to give it a try, sky conditions permitting. I live South and a bit West of Calgary, so there times are going to be close enough for me. I looked up the eclipse site at this site, and found it quite readable:
http://www.mreclipse.com/LEphoto/LEphoto.html

It includes exposure tables and some neat ideas.
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Since we are posting our moonshots here is mine:

k10d, Pentax 18-250 at the 250 end, handheld, shutter priority with shutter set to 1/180 (in case SR wasn't enough). Point and shoot, one shot only. The KEY was spot metering. It eliminated the need for bracketing.

Oh yeah: no flash

Assuming the clounds don't spoil my chances, I think I will use a tripod for the eclipse since the brightness will be so much lower. I will probably just use P mode on the tripod with spot metering, and I'll bet the k10d nails it again the first time...

Picture reduced for posting:

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 08-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.
02-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #20

Oh man, am I gonna be dissappointed if the clouds don't clear by 8:30 tomorrow night in NJ...
Normally I love snow, but I'm hoping it passes lightly and quickly tomorrow.

Don't forget to get your thermals ready, too, just in case it is clear tomorrow! It's supposed to be around 12F/-11C here for the event!

Tonight's a good night to test your exposures, though!

But I'd really love to capture a full progression through totality. 2 years seems like such a long time to wait....

I hope someone here has good weather and posts their results though!!!

Here's one I shot Saturday, resized down for posting...

-Chris
Attached Images

02-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #21

Original Poster
All those pictures of the moon are great. I need a shot like that for my collection. Anyways, does location matter at all? The longest focal length i have is a 200mm. I'm also in Toronto, so it might be a problem if i have to find an area that is rural.
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #22

Original Poster
QUESTION!! If i wanted to do a "star-trail" type shot, how long will the K100d remain powered with a fresh set of 2500mAh batteries?

Hinckc: how do you get amazing shots like that?
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I'm going to give it a try with the K100D and the Promaster 70-300, assuming the clouds don't interfere. Our forecast high temp is supposed to be only +5 F though, so the try may not last long We're right at the edge of totality, and should see the eclipse right around the moon's rising.

Jim

02-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Great shot hinckc. That has to be a longer lens than my 250. What is it, closer to 500, or is it a scope?

The only problem is your moon is upside down
02-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
Oh man, am I gonna be dissappointed if the clouds don't clear by 8:30 tomorrow night in NJ...
Normally I love snow, but I'm hoping it passes lightly and quickly tomorrow.

Don't forget to get your thermals ready, too, just in case it is clear tomorrow! It's supposed to be around 12F/-11C here for the event!

Tonight's a good night to test your exposures, though!

But I'd really love to capture a full progression through totality. 2 years seems like such a long time to wait....

I hope someone here has good weather and posts their results though!!!

Here's one I shot Saturday, resized down for posting...

-Chris
Now that is awesome! What lens was this? I see you have a 500mm cat, how do you like it?
02-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #26
m8o
Veteran Member

As he's not as addicted as I am, so in the event he doesn't get back here right away...

Here's a post of hinckc's on the moon:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/18939-1-more-day-till-full-moon.html
(hinckc, I missed your update in that thread. Nice work!)

His setup:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/18801-long-slow-glass-birds.html
02-20-2008, 06:39 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
Now that is awesome! What lens was this? I see you have a 500mm cat, how do you like it?
Thank you! I was incredibly underwhelmed by the 500mm Phoenix, especially for moon shots. It's hard to say if it was just because I'm not that great a manual focuser or because the lens is soft, but it definately didn't scratch my itch for lunar photography. I did like it for full daylight shots where you were trying to achieve a "70's" look... oh. and then there's the obligatory, "mmmmmm... bokeh donuts....."

Like m8o said, this shot was taken through a TV-76 refractor + 2x Televue powermate TC/barlow yielding a FL of 960mm. Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting something up around 1200mm so I could fill my frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
As he's not as addicted as I am, so in the event he doesn't get back here right away...

Here's a post of hinckc's on the moon:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/18939-1-more-day-till-full-moon.html
(hinckc, I missed your update in that thread. Nice work!)

His setup:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/18801-long-slow-glass-birds.html
Thanks, m8o. It didn't look as good before your suggestions!!!
I am probably nearly as addicted, but maybe not quite as vocal! I learn so much by reading here, there's only rare moment I feel I can contribute a solution as well as some of the other "addicts"!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpoke:
The only problem is your moon is upside down
Well, that depends a lot on your perspective. Though I can't say I've personally validated this, but my understanding is that the moon "appears" reverse depending on if you're viewing from the northern or the southern hemisphere.
That said, I was shooting through a 90degree mirror that day, and I can't remember which way my camera was oriented. My photo very well may have been upside down from the hemisphere I'm in (northern).

-Chris
02-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #28

It will be -15 this evening, so I may not brave the cold to deal with the eclipse, but we shall see. This was taken with my DS using an old Pentax 500mm 4.5 lens with a Pentax 1.4L TC, ISO 400, 1/30sec at f/16 which didn't come out too bad considering the shutter speed.

Tom
02-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #29

Great lunar shots!!!

I just hope the clouds and the fog will stay away long enough to have a go at this side of the world. Even if I have to set the alarm for 4.30 in the morning
02-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #30

Original Poster
Sleep later! Wake up and do what you want to do, you will feel better about it later. (Easier said then done, i don't have to work!)