Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Would love help with finding shutter count - selling k10d and k20d

Hi there,

I have two beautiful cameras sitting here collecting dust and I am planning to sell them. I am having the hardest time finding the exif data on their shutter counts on my mac. Would anyone be willing to help me out if I sent the latest images to you? I tried using preview on my mac (which works well for my nikons) but couldn't find the shutter count for the pentax models. And the exif tool in firefox did not show them either!

If anyone could help, I would love it.

Thanks!
Mel

01-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Why is it that the image number does not reflect the number of shutter actuations? When I first set up my *iStDL and K10 I chose the file numbering format, and the very first images were IMGP0001.PEF for each.

The last image I snapped on the *iStDL was IMGP1105.PEF, so I would think that the number on the image should represent the total number of times the shutter was actuated, i.e. 1,105 times. The link above says otherwise, at 1,283 actuations. Now I know that over the course of those 1,105 shots I deleted some, but the camera did not adjust the image count accordingly. So in some places the count may go 895, 896, 901. I understand that deleting an image does not negate the actuation of the shutter for it.

The last image shot on my K10 is numbered IGP5139.PEF, so I would think that the shutter count should be 5,139 actuations. But again, the counter application says 5,385.

So where did the extra 178 shutter actuations on the *iStDL and the extra 246 on the K10 come from? Do these things sit around at night in the camera bag and randomly fire the shutter for fun?

Someone who knows please clue me in!
01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why is it that the image number does not reflect the number of shutter actuations? When I first set up my *iStDL and K10 I chose the file numbering format, and the very first images were IMGP0001.PEF for each.

The last image I snapped on the *iStDL was IMGP1105.PEF, so I would think that the number on the image should represent the total number of times the shutter was actuated, i.e. 1,105 times. The link above says otherwise, at 1,283 actuations. Now I know that over the course of those 1,105 shots I deleted some, but the camera did not adjust the image count accordingly. So in some places the count may go 895, 896, 901. I understand that deleting an image does not negate the actuation of the shutter for it.

The last image shot on my K10 is numbered IGP5139.PEF, so I would think that the shutter count should be 5,139 actuations. But again, the counter application says 5,385.

So where did the extra 178 shutter actuations on the *iStDL and the extra 246 on the K10 come from? Do these things sit around at night in the camera bag and randomly fire the shutter for fun?

They all come from the factory with between 100 and 200 or so actuations plus changing cards can reset the numbering.

01-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Cameras will start counting from the highest file in the folder. So if you insert a card from an old camera into a new camera, the new camera will pick the numbering up where the other one left off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Normally, you would be correct. However, there is one little catch. On my K20 I was up to IMGP7xxx.PEF and then mistakenly moved the SD card over to my K5. My K5 went from counter went from IMGP001x.PEF and was reset to the next number on the SD card. You can reset it, but the bottom line is that things can happen, and the image count that is used within the file name is modifiable.

You can use the online utility or a utility such as PhotoMe (which is free - well share ware), which will display the internal shutter count that is embedded in the firmware.

The extra shutter counts come from manufacturing testing before shipping.

01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Well. Such a broad range of explanations. Thank you all.

I suspected the test actuation count, but it seems odd that one camera has 178, the other 246.

As for a memory card upsetting the count, I haven't seen that happen, yet. I always empty the cards after transferring the image files to the portable hard drive I store them on (after burning a master disc of course). So far each time I have re-used a memory card the count has always continued where the last image file left off.

I have more or less retired the *iStDL, and use the K10 exclusively. So I am going to watch the shutter count on it, and check it again in a few months after shooting more images.

01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well. Such a broad range of explanations. Thank you all.

I suspected the test actuation count, but it seems odd that one camera has 178, the other 246.
I suspect that the last step before packaging a finished camera is for someone to plug in a remote cord, set the camera on multi-exposure mode and hold the button down for 20-30 seconds. If it is done manually, then the difference is simply that, for one camera, someone held it down for 20 seconds and for the other, 30 seconds. It would be very difficult for anyone to hold the button for exactly the same length of time, every time.

Or, it could be a conspiracy by the CIA to mess with our minds. Who knows.
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you!
12-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Saved for 1 1/2 years for just the right camera . . .

I finally made my choice and bought the K-3 yesterday from my local camera shop! I'm beyond excited to take it to the beach today and shoot. It was a tough choice between the Olympus OM-D EM-1 and the K-3 but the K-3 won out. I live on the coast and shoot mostly at the beach. 92 weather seals and the toughest build around coupled with amazing image quality and how good the K-3 feels in my hands won out over the small size of the Oly.

Besides the Canon AE-1 I bought in 1980 (and still have!) I bought a Canon point and shoot and a Canon SX-30, basically a big point and shoot. I've used the later for 4 years while waiting for the right DSLR to come my way. I had a budget of over 3k so had some wiggle room in choice. I love the idea of the MC 4/3 cameras and their diminutive size and small lenses but don't want to sacrifice image quality. I'll continue to save and buy a small point and shoot for hikes and such when I don't want to pack the K-3.

Thanks so much to 'klkitchens' for the direction in finding the shutter actuation count. There is so much to learn and I SO appreciate this forum community to help out. I'm hoping to contribute at some point as well.