Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

k-7 "white balance lock" with AE-L

Let me preface by saying I tried looking in the K-7 manual and searching around on here but I couldn't find anything as pertains to my question.

I often use the auto exposure lock and shoot in raw when capturing multiple images for photostitching. When I do this, I often batch process in rawtherapee with one preset for all images to be stitched. Unless there is a noticeable color cast I default to the camera's auto white balance setting. When stitching I sometimes notice that one or a few images have distinctly different white balances, so it seems that the auto-exposure lock does not lock down the white balance? Is this the case? Is there any way to enable such a setting? It seems like it would be a logical extension of the AE-L function...

Currently it seems the only way I'd have of going about it would be to take the time to set a custom WB prior to shooting but since I work almost exclusively in raw it seems kind of pointless to me to make any WB changes in camera...

Thanks in advance for any help!

01-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no WB lock. You could use a WB preset when you plan on stiching images together.
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. That is pretty much what I figured. Is this function available on any DSLR or is there simply no demand for such a feature?

Personally, my conceptualization of AE-L is that it should be a function that prevents the camera from making any changes that will break consistency from photo to photo once activated but maybe I'm not using it the way most photographers do (i.e. lock correct subject exposure then recompose, etc...).
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be aware that the K-7 will "fine-tune" WB presets unless custom setting "11. WB adjustable range" is set to "2. Fixed".

01-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oooo. Very good tip. Would not have realized that on my own and probably would have caused some consternation.
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're shooting in raw all you need to do is select any other WB setting other than auto. I would use daylight, and then fine-tune in PP.
01-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
If you're shooting in raw all you need to do is select any other WB setting other than auto. I would use daylight, and then fine-tune in PP.
I finally broke down and bought a gray card for setting white balance. Don't know why I didn't get one sooner!
10-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
There is no WB lock. You could use a WB preset when you plan on stiching images together.
WIll have to use this for shooting video too (I got here searching for how to lock the white balance for video).
The WB hunting while shooting video is really bad - quite unusable. Even with just one guy standing in front of a green screen - moving slightly.
So I just need to set the current white balance as a preset and also set the setting discussed below (no fine tuning WB) and I should be good to go.