Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Setting a User mode to mimic Tri-x

Not sure if anyone else sets up user modes to mimic their favorite films, but I recently gave it a shot and I love it. I just set the format to RAW+ (so I can have a raw "negative" just in case), Av mode, and keep the jpeg in BW, hi/low key adj +1, contrast +4, sharpness +2.

Especially at high ISO's it pretty much approximates the look I'm going for. Still a little too smooth and digital-looking, but it's the best I've come up with so far. Definitely open to suggestions! And yes, I know I could do it in pp, but I like the idea of it coming straight from the camera looking like Tri-x...

So what else has anyone done in this vein? I'd love to see.

01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Too smooth? cut down the jpeg file size or raise the iso above 3200.
01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I personally use the DXO film pack...
I love Tri-X too and with the film pack, all I do is click one button
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I personally use the DXO film pack...
I love Tri-X too and with the film pack, all I do is click one button
Finn, if you are really into old black and white film types for your images, I recommend Nik's Silver Efex Pro. Each preset has so many excellent renditions of black and white film types you might choose that you may be paralyzed by all of the beautiful results you can get for your shot. And you can manually adjust the grain for each and every one of them. It really is a superb black and white conversion program.

01-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Finn, if you are really into old black and white film types for your images, I recommend Nik's Silver Efex Pro. Each preset has so many excellent renditions of black and white film types you might choose that you may be paralyzed by all of the beautiful results you can get for your shot. And you can manually adjust the grain for each and every one of them. It really is a superb black and white conversion program.
Still can't beat TrueGrain

Haven't done Tri-X but have Ilford Delta 3200 - Film Simulation Test - DXO Filmpack 3 vs Topaz B&W Effects v1.1 vs Silver Efex Pro 2 vs Truegrain (Ilford Delta 3200) - a set on Flickr
01-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also BW Styler by the Plugin Site.