Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

New DSLR Releases from Pentax

Hello All,

I am new to the forums. I am thinking about purchasing the K30. This will only be me second Pentax ever and it's been a long time since I owned my last one. I was just wondering what Pentax release window looks like. How often do they release new DSLRs? How often do the lower their prices?

Thank you.

01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 has recently dropped in price, so now would be a great time to get one! The typical product life cycle for intro-level cameras like the K-30 is 12 to 18 months, but it's hard to predict what's going to come out in the near future...Pentax can go in many directions. Personally I don't think they're going to prioritize a K-30 replacement as the camera is already selling very well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Great. Thank you very much. How important is a top LCD screen? I'm new to DSLRs.
01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are probably in the 'sweet spot' on the k-30 and the k-5 if you can still find one, price wise. k-5II and k-5IIs were announced in September and shipping now. Those are the new bodies. Best guess is a replacement for k-30 might be on the road map for late 2013 early 2014 but that is just a guess. Most prognosticators are looking to the CP+ show in February for any future announcements. They did announce new cameras and a new flash at CES but not DSLR cameras. But there are no rumors even suggesting any new bodies within the foreseeable future.

01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mlcinema Quote
How important is a top LCD screen? I'm new to DSLRs.
Depends on you. Some say they will never own a camera without one. I never look at mine for some reason. Some people leave the LCD screen turned off as well, so take your pick.
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Re top LCD, I largely agree with jatrax.

I have a K-5 and most of the time I use the main LCD status panel. I could live without the top LCD fine although it can be convenient while operating on a tripod I find.
01-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all very much. Time to decide.

01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mlcinema Quote
Great. Thank you very much. How important is a top LCD screen? I'm new to DSLRs.
For me, a top LCD screen is an absolute must. Lack of one is a dealbreaker for me.

But lots of other people see no particular value in a top LCD screen, and that viewpoint is equally valid to my viewpoint.
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
For me, a top LCD screen is an absolute must. Lack of one is a dealbreaker for me.

But lots of other people see no particular value in a top LCD screen, and that viewpoint is equally valid to my viewpoint.
Good point, MPrince. I am from the camp of people who don't care at all for the top LCD.

I got the K30 and it didn't have the top LCD, so I just learned to get by without it.

I recently got the K7 as a spare body. It has a top LCD, and I haven't glanced at it once.

Different strokes for different folks.
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My top LCD is a must for me.
01-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well, I went with the K30. It's amazing.
01-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats!