Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help with Stubborn Dust Removal

After a weekend trip to the National Air and Space museum annex, I noticed what I believe to be a dust particle on several of my pictures. Multiple cycles of the dust removal system don't appear to have solved the problem. How should I deal with this problem? The photo below was shot with K10D & 35mm f2.0. The dust is in the bottom right-hand corner of the image, next to the tower, about 5 segments up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Looms; 02-19-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Image Not Present
02-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, I would try using a rocket blower, any photo store should have one, you have to go into the menu and go to mirror lock up i think, then remove the lens, and blow into the sensor area with the rocket blower, it SHOULD remove any dust, unless it is really stuck on there. Do NOT touch the sensor , just blow into that area with the rocket blower.
02-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have prepared for the inevitable stubborn dust, and purchased a cleaning kit. Before I even attempt to use the cleaning kit, however, I propose to use a bulb blower and see if I can dislodge the particle with that first. I figure if I put the k10d into sensor cleaning mode (it raises the mirror out of the way and opens the shutter), hold it with the lens mount down, and blow fairly vigorously into the camera, I might be able to dislodge a particle.

In the meantime, I don't have dust problems (yet). One thing I do is to change lenses with the lens mount on the body facing down, rather than up, in the hopes that the dust will stay out rather than fall up into the camera.

In my gadget bag, left over from film days, is a dark changing bag. I think I can probably use that in adverse dusty conditions if I have to change a lens.
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I am afraid that I have extensive experience in this area. I just came off a horrible two weeks in Palm Springs where I was fighting dust, hair and grundge on my sensor as well as on my lens. As mentioned previously, the first step should always be a blower preferably a "Rocket" blower which in most situations will solve the problem. At approx. $10.00, they are the best deal on the face of the earth for us photographers. If that doesn't work, there are some special butterfly brushes available to use on the sensor. GREAT CARE must be taken in order not to damage or scratch the sensor. It tends to move slightly when it is being cleaned. Be very careful it is very fragile. If you have grundge, water marks etc. on your sensor you can use a variety of liguid cleaners swaps etc. but my advice would be to take it in and get it professional cleaned. For $60.00 or so you can get the sensor, mirror and focusing screen cleaned as well as the interior of the box. Unless you feel real confident, I would let the pros do the deep cleaning. Good luck.

02-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have prepared for the inevitable stubborn dust, and purchased a cleaning kit. Before I even attempt to use the cleaning kit, however, I propose to use a bulb blower and see if I can dislodge the particle with that first. I figure if I put the k10d into sensor cleaning mode (it raises the mirror out of the way and opens the shutter), hold it with the lens mount down, and blow fairly vigorously into the camera, I might be able to dislodge a particle.

In the meantime, I don't have dust problems (yet). One thing I do is to change lenses with the lens mount on the body facing down, rather than up, in the hopes that the dust will stay out rather than fall up into the camera.

In my gadget bag, left over from film days, is a dark changing bag. I think I can probably use that in adverse dusty conditions if I have to change a lens.
I do the same but before I did I checked the inside of the bag and lo and behold the bag itself needed a cleaning. After a thorough damp wiping it's now ready for the digital age.

Heinrich
02-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Looms Quote
After a weekend trip to the National Air and Space museum annex, I noticed what I believe to be a dust particle on several of my pictures. Multiple cycles of the dust removal system don't appear to have solved the problem. How should I deal with this problem? The photo below was shot with K10D & 35mm f2.0. The dust is in the bottom right-hand corner of the image, next to the tower, about 5 segments up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I've used the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning tool with great success. I recommend it, especially for stubborn dust. I had to order mine from Japan but Adorama now carries it.

39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

Richard
02-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I'll give the Rocket blower a try and then try and insitute some better procedures to prevent future problems. Then I can go have fun with my new 16-45 f/4 that was delivered today!
02-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I do the same but before I did I checked the inside of the bag and lo and behold the bag itself needed a cleaning. After a thorough damp wiping it's now ready for the digital age.

Heinrich
Good point, Heinrich! I guess out in the field is not the place to find out the bag is dustier than the environment. Out comes the damp rag! Thanks for the tip.

02-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #9

Try taking some photos at various Fstops - you'll notice the dust is much more noticeable at higher end of Fstop numbers. You might find that given its location on the image/sensor you can live with it and shoot at a suitable lower Fstop for the time being. Ken.
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I had a very stubborn dust spot on the sensor of my K10D. I bought a LensPen sensor cleaning kit which has a bulb blower, a brush, and a sensor cleaning pad. It took a few tries with the blower and brush but I finally got rid of the dust spot.