Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I still use mine paired with a K-5 IIs for commercial concert photography in frequently difficult light, and while the AF is not quite in the same league it performs admirably.
This is very meaningful to me, thanks. I'm sure the concerts you shoot are worse conditions than mine, local clubs, shooting people I mostly know. I don't mind manually focusing for a lot of things and I don't need best in class. I just don't want AF to be a liability to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The K-30 (which I haven't actually used, so take this with a grain of salt) is a better video camera (not a priority for you) and does autofocus a little better by all accounts. I don't particularly like the aesthetics, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

I feel the same way and I'm a little ashamed of myself for it, but it doesn't really change the facts.

When was "focus peaking" introduced? Original K-5 or K-30? If there is an AF limitation and I'm going to manually focus, it seems that's a pretty important feature in less than professional hands.

01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
If there is an AF limitation and I'm going to manually focus, it seems that's a pretty important feature in less than professional hands.
There is no focus-peaking in the K-5. I believe the K-30 has focus peaking.
01-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I've had my K20d for nearly 3.5 years, and it doesn't feel aged or outdated at all. Sure, I'd like better low light performance, but I have manual focus for that. High ISO noise and banding is a bit of an issue but I have Lightroom to deal with that, and I very rarely take long exposures. It's just an overall great camera. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's looking to enter the digital photography field with years of experience with film. You buy nice or you buy twice. Save up and get a K-5 IIs
01-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Just buy the one you like the best. Any of the cameras mentioned are guaranteed to blow your mind. I have a K-5 as my third dSLR and it is by far the best, fastest focusing camera I have ever owned.

01-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. Something that generally saddens me is that most things are designed to be disposable now. Computers, phones, TVs etc. Most are not meant to last when designed or marketed.
Its not that they die or fall apart as much as the older models don't have the capabilities of the newer models. My DL still works fine it just doesn't do it as well or with the capabilities of a k30 or k-5. Sort of like most computers and cars. It isn't that they die as often as we just outgrow them, and want more powerful models with more bells and whistles.
01-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Once again, everyone. I really appreciate your advice and perspectives. It's helping a lot.

I've determined that I really want to own some flavor of K-5. I know that the K-30 is a great camera, but the K-5 is calling me. I don't spend much time thinking about the iis. I think I'd rather spend the small price difference from the ii on a lens.

I am going back and forth between the classic 5 and the 5 ii. If used K-5s were more heavily discounted, I might go that way. Based on where I see them priced, though, I think I would buy new-out-going if I did. I've read some posts here from guys taking photos very similar to the ones I will shoot often who are frustrated with the K-5 autofocus and it pushes me toward the ii. Why opt into frustration? The price delta right now is significant enough that it gives me pause. If I can be patient and wait for it to drop, then I think it will come into line. Based on price history and rumors of a to-be-announced new dSLR and once old stock is gone, it's likely to come down by at least enough to cover a good mid-priced lens.

I haven't ruled out a classic K-5 with the understanding that I'll likely spend more time manually focusing in jazz clubs and things, which I do now anyway if I'm shooting film. The right deal on a used K-5 or even K-7 with a lens that I could move forward to a new K-5 ii in a year or so when they bottom out might be an option for me too, but I haven't seen that deal yet.

"Buy nice or buy twice". That lands with me. I don't see chasing the latest thing if I can get into a good solid camera body to begin with, though I won't think about it being a generational purchase either.

Thanks again.
01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're looking at shooting indoor sports, which demands a lot from the AF system. Though the classic K-5 holds up well in brighter conditions, I really have to say that the best choice is the K-5 II. I've never used one myself (only the classic K-5), but as far as I can tell from the reviews and tests, the K-5 II is much faster in low light than the classic model and even more so than the K-7. The difference is going to be pretty obvious in low-light sports photography. Buy the best you can afford, so you don't have to waste money making upgrades more often than you want.

For your use case, I simply can't recommend getting a K-7 or older camera. The classic K-5 will probably be okay in outdoor sports, but might feel inadequate once you start shooting events like indoor basketball.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 01-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. My intention at this point is to pop for a K-5 ii. Working out the money on my side and waiting a bit to see if there's a price drop in the next 60 days or so. I know that if there is it won't be bottomed out, but the first good incentive on pricing probably gets me. The K-5 is such a good deal right if the difference were features vs functionality, I'd embrace the savings, but I think that AF is going to matter to me and unlike a lens, I can't really throw the extra money at it later, I'd have to replace the camera.

So waiting. The K-30 is still in the back of my mind too. I'm sure it's more than capable for my needs. I'm pretty confident that ordering any of the K-5 cameras sight unseen, I would not be disappointed, when I unpacked it and picked it up. I can't be sure of that with the K-30, so unless I get a chance to hold one, I'm not going to go that way. I might have some travel coming up and if I end up someplace that has a Pentax dealer, that may change things on that issue for me.

01-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Slight update from me. I was up in Vancouver BC today. Land of a million camera stores that carry Pentax vs none in Washington State. I determined that it didn't make sense to buy in Canada because of tax, potential duties and potential, but perhaps resolvable warranty issues. I did, get to finally see and handle a K-30 and a K-5, though. Both very nice feeling cameras.

I loved the look and feel of the K-5. The K-30 far exceeded my expectations, though. The comments in the reviews about the plastic and different textures and the YouTube videos of people gushing about the camera, but complaining about the aesthetic, I don't get it. Side by side, I felt they were very close in build quality. I do like the K-5 better (judging solely on handling), but only just. The K-30 looks and feels like a great camera to me.

Still not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm grounded in at least a little hands on experience now. I'm really inclined to put a little extra money away and wait for the price drop and buy a K-5 ii and enjoy it for years to come. I realized the other day though that I'm hung up on this autofocus issue, while shooting with a fully manual film camera and not feeling like I'm missing anything. But, we officially signed our son up for T-Ball this week and it reminded me that what I shoot is about to change, so...

Anyway, 3 really fine choices, I'm sure that any of them would bring me great joy for thousands of pictures. I'll act on a decision soon.

Troy
01-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I started with a budget that could have afforded a K-7 but bought a K-x and some prime lenses instead. I just upgraded to the K-30 with a budget that would have afforded a K-5ii upgrade and will get a few more lenses instead. In a few years I will upgrade my body to the next gen & next step up. I think this works well because buying nice lenses they will last you a lot longer than the body which will without a doubt be outdated in a couple of years no matter what you buy it also gives you the time to learn the ins and outs of the camera, its modes, etc...
02-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I sucked it up and ordered the K-5ii at the first price drop. Since I was spending money, I went ahead and ordered with the 18-135WR lens, common opinion seems to be that it's better than the 18-55WR by more than just expanded focal length.

I'm waiting for the last roll of film that I'll likely shoot for a while to be developed and played with a friends Nikon dSLR yesterday at a Super Bowl party and just thought "What am I doing? Buy a camera already!"

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've been having a ton of fun re-learning some basic photography and am ready. Plus, the first season of organized sports for my 4 year old is upon us, which I consider a hard-deadline.
02-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My camera is on a UPS truck, expected delivery is Friday.

tick...tick...tick....
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
My camera is on a UPS truck, expected delivery is Friday.

tick...tick...tick....
Congratulations on your new K-5ii! I am sure you will enjoy your new camera and that Friday can't come soon enough!
02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, I'm really excited. I'm spending a fortune on film and development, but have been learning and re-learning some photography skills. My world changes on Friday!

I really appreciate all of the advice that I received here.
02-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats troika
should be a blast !
Pete