Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I find it ironic that actual K-5IIs owners have reiterated plenty of times that moire doesn't appear as prevalent as commonly believed and for all intents and purposes isn't a problem.
I post a single shot with moire one it (so far, yes I can count them - out of 1,865 shots I've churned out of my K-5 IIs so far in 3 weeks of owning it, only 3 have blatant moire and 1 mild. That's all) just to show one possible situation where it may be provoked - and as inexperienced as I am with AA filterless sensors, it only goes to show I have a lot to learn about the filterless system to make the most out of it.

...Which is also why I posted another photo at the same place with the same setup, but no moire is visible. As Digitalis said, the mere angle while taking a photo can eliminate moire already. I made this thread with the purpose of exhibiting "what to avoid", not show how frequently moire comes out of the K-5 IIs because... well, it's really rare.

01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
4/1,865 sounds good to me.
01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Are you serious? It's very obvious to me between the third and fourth head from the right, even without close-up and that's on a 12.5 inch laptop screen.
after a second look, I finally got past the eye candy and saw what you are looking at and you are right.

cheers
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
Veteran Member

TO me the moire problem is not a big issue. The bigger issue is why would it focus on the wall instead of the person you focused on ( I assume you focused on a person, not the wall).
Looks like the huge focus points of the original K-5 remain.

01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Well the followup to that question is, how many pictures missed focus.
01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #51
Veteran Member

It happens enough on my K-5 that it prompted me to buy an ees focusing screen and use MF most of the the time.
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
It happens enough on my K-5 that it prompted me to buy an ees focusing screen and use MF most of the the time.
A K-5 is not a K-5 IIs, and the main difference is AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
TO me the moire problem is not a big issue. The bigger issue is why would it focus on the wall instead of the person you focused on ( I assume you focused on a person, not the wall).
Looks like the huge focus points of the original K-5 remain.
Far more likely a lens problem, especially when the lens was a Tamron 17-50. There's no lens I've ever heard of with so many AF issues.

01-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A K-5 is not a K-5 IIs, and the main difference is AF.
I have heard nothing which suggests that the K-5II's focus points are smaller than the original K-5.
Even if it focuses with a single candle light 100 yards away, if the focus points are the same size, then it still is not improved enough in my opinion.

Regarding the Tamron, if it still is adjusted to dead nuts accurate, you still have the underlying focus point issue.
01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I still don't see any moire then again i might be looking at the wrong things
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never had trouble with the focus point size in the four Pentax bodies I've owned. I check where the camera focussed, just as I do when I focus manually. The K-5 I bought focussed well in daylight, couldn't focus worth a damn in tungsten light. The problem is that it looked to be in focus, but the image was severely front-focussed. That's a big problem. The K-5 II has better AF in coloured light, low light and with wide aperture lenses. I wouldn't have another K-5 for any price, not worth the frustration.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.
01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I've never had trouble with the focus point size in the four Pentax bodies I've owned. I check where the camera focussed, just as I do when I focus manually. The K-5 I bought focussed well in daylight, couldn't focus worth a damn in tungsten light. The problem is that it looked to be in focus, but the image was severely front-focussed. That's a big problem. The K-5 II has better focus in coloured light, low light and with wide aperture lenses. I wouldn't have another K-5 for any price, not worth the frustration. Worst AF ever.
I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. Some people it doesn't bother, some people it's really an annoyance.
It's similiar to the SDM issue.
01-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well the followup to that question is, how many pictures missed focus.
In that particular series, I guess 4/12. Could be the lens and the associated light. Somehow the K-5 IIs didn't think much of using the AF assist beam, dunno why.

Far more likely a lens problem, especially when the lens was a Tamron 17-50. There's no lens I've ever heard of with so many AF issues.
I have to say you're right... on my K-x on debug mode, it took a whopping +130 correction to get it right. Amazingly... bad. On the IIs it's sort of a mixed bag. 8/10 gets it right, in good light.